THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Sunroof vs rain

06-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

Sunroof vs rain

We had an unexpected rain shower yesterday and my sunroof was in vent position. I dont see any sign that rain got into the car but I'm not sure if it could have gone into the roof area where the sunroof retracts.

Does this area have a way to drain water if it gets in there or is there something that prevents water from going back into the roof in this type of situation?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Yep. It has drains.
And never use compressed air to clear the drain - unless you confirm that is the proper procedure.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

You are probably OK. The drains are in the front A pillar and rear pillar. You have not had it long enough for debris to have filled the drains which comes from having it always open, collecting dust and bits that then make their way to drain. Good reminder to keep it well closed I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
You are probably OK. The drains are in the front A pillar and rear pillar. You have not had it long enough for debris to have filled the drains which comes from having it always open, collecting dust and bits that then make their way to drain. Good reminder to keep it well closed I guess.
I keep it closed if there's a chance of rain listed but this one was unexpected. I normally keep it vented so I can actually use the car at lunch time. I would not have to do that if BMW bothered to make a windows phone connected drive app
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I keep it closed if there's a chance of rain listed but this one was unexpected. I normally keep it vented so I can actually use the car at lunch time. I would not have to do that if BMW bothered to make a windows phone connected drive app
Isn't there some type of timer installed that you can set to vent the car at a preset time?

Last edited by disco4me; 06-19-2014 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco4me View Post
Isn't there some type of timer installed that you can set to vent the car at a preset time?
Exactly. There was an auto vent program you could set on the E90. Is it not there now?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Yes, its in the idrive menu. 2 timers.

Note that after either timer goes off, you have to turn that timer on again in the menu. So you can't set it once and expect it to go off every day at that time.
Appreciate 0