E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HELP: Angel Eye housing is melted!

06-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
randallt6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 328ix

HELP: Angel Eye housing is melted!

thought my angel eye bulbs had burnt out, went to bmw and got new bulbs, was installing them and realized my old bulbs are working fine but the housing is all melted! any idea on how this happened and how to fix this without buying new headlights?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

If you had stock angel eyes in the housing previously then I would suggest you bring it to dealer and let them figure out.

If you had aftermarket then you may want to have a talk with the company that supplied them to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
randallt6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
If you had stock angel eyes in the housing previously then I would suggest you bring it to dealer and let them figure out.

If you had aftermarket then you may want to have a talk with the company that supplied them to you.
these are oem headlights and angel eyes......Dealer is just going to tell me I need new headlights....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallt6 View Post
these are oem headlights and angel eyes......Dealer is just going to tell me I need new headlights....
Right and they should pay for them since they are defective, wouldn't you agree? If you are out of warranty then you may want to find a pair used.

I've never seen this happen before. I expected to hear you say you bought some ebay lights and they melted your housing so I'm even more surprised this happened stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Wow that terrible. I have seen this a few times but never this bad, and not with the stock angel eyes. Just wondering but was the glass piece installed still which is used to block the heat?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
randallt6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Wow that terrible. I have seen this a few times but never this bad, and not with the stock angel eyes. Just wondering but was the glass piece installed still which is used to block the heat?
no the glass piece wasnt there so I'm guessing the previous owner messed with them and removed the glass and then over time it caused this melting....this sucks, aftermarket headlights are so ugly.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallt6 View Post
no the glass piece wasnt there so I'm guessing the previous owner messed with them and removed the glass and then over time it caused this melting....this sucks, aftermarket headlights are so ugly.
Oh well that would definitely be the cause of why they failed. You can often times pick up a set of used headlights for 2-300 a side and then just swap all the components. Just be sure when you replace the angel eyes you go with a LED kit that is save or you use the glass piece to prevent this from happening.

Also contact the previous owner and see what they will do since they screwed up the headlight. If you go about it correct and they are nice maybe they will help you out.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
dinanm3atl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 70 Olds 442 F31 Diesel

Yah that is too bad. Have seen that before
Appreciate 0