E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E92 Coupe / Auxiliary Jack Displaced / How to reposition?

06-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
GSBruce
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

E92 Coupe / Auxiliary Jack Displaced / How to reposition?

2007 E92 Coupe.

I accidentally pushed my auxiliary jack "box" into the inner part of my console.

What do I need to do to put it back?

I find some console disassembly information for sedans, but don't see how they will apply to getting into a coupe's console.

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

If you pull off the panel/trim on the back are you able to access any bit of that area? Usually removing that panel gives you a decent view and some access in the consoles rear end.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
GSBruce
Rep

I pulled off the only easily removable panel immediately behind and below the rear of the armrest - it doesn't create access to the space below the armrest/console storage compartment.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

No, I think he meant the whole rear face of the armrest...the part with the vents and all. Can't tell if that's what you did from that pic but it doesn't look like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

I'm not sure if this will be any help, the person here was able to use a screw driver from under the console and push it up and out, maybe using a similar method can be done to get it back into place or out to do some work on it to ensure it doesn't happen again.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740729

I know the vehicles are different however I'm not sure if accessing it from below may work with the E92, do let me know if you have any luck with this method, just trying to find other ways besides disassembling a good chunk of the console.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
GSBruce
Rep

Thanks, xijonix, I got it fixed using the "screwdriver up the inside side of the console" method shown in the m3post.com thread you posted above.

Even then, it was no easy thing to manipulate the auxiliary input jack box into position to where I could pull it out into the open so I could reinstall it. I believe it came out more or less bottom first, smoothly, I didn't have to use much force at all once it was positioned properly.

Taking the rear face of the console off did no good; neither did removing the six torx fasteners that were exposed after removing the rear face of the console.

A pox on the BMW engineer(s) who designed this thing like that. I think this will be my last BMW car (I bought new 1978 320i, 1985 325e, 1995 M3, and this 2007 328xi). I am pretty much over BMW at this point. None of them were much trouble, but the needless complexity and pure-d horseshit like the battery needing to be coded, the run-flat tires, and so on and the potential for big dollar trouble have really put me off. The same non-user-friendliness has also infested the BMW motorcycle business.
Appreciate 0