F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Tech Package vs GPS
proTUNING Freaks

06-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
docedkin
Rep
Drives: '15 435i, M-Sport, October ED

Tech Package vs GPS

I'm finalizing my ED order for a '15 F32. I checked a bunch of boxes, reevaluated, and checked some more. But. . .so far I've not checked the Tech Package box. For my '09 E92 ED, I left out the navigation because I have a good Garmin-Zumo, a GPS unit I move around among two motorcycles and my car. On the cycles, I use the Zumo for rallies and some fairly intricate competition routing. I took a similar unit with me in '09 when I took delivery on my current car, had it loaded with European maps, and it worked flawlessly. Taking the thing into hotel rooms, hooking up to a laptop, and building custom routes is easy. I use Base Camp and plan routes or select destinations on the fly. For my October ED, I'll just load updated European maps. So. . .all that being said, are the rest of the Tech Package features enough to move me to another checked box? Anybody with mobile GPS experience able to chime in here? I'm in the "it's only money" phase of this process so what's another box if the OEM nav is really that good and the rest of the stuff (HUD for instance) is really that compelling.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Get the Tech Package, like you said, it's just money. You get a cleaner integration of navi instead of having to mount your current GPS on the windshield. The wider, higher resolution iDrive screen, and the HUD is just a convenient thing to have altogether. You can browse songs on a playlists, radio station presets, speed limit info, incoming call information, and navi directions all without having to look away from the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

skip the tech package.....just get the regular navigation. you dont need the HUD
      06-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
skip the tech package.....just get the regular navigation. you dont need the HUD
He technically doesn't need a navi either.

But you bring up a good point, some people HATE the HUD. I'd maybe look at one at the dealer and mess around with it to see if you like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Manulap92
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: 318 DA Luxury (F30)

It could be a good thing to try the HUD at the dealer and with your favourite sun glasses because some sun glasses (some polarized one) are not compatible with the HUD.
Whatever would be your choice with the Tech Package, personally, i will never buy a BMW without at least the Nav Pro because it's a lot more than a GPS.

Have a good choice.
Appreciate 0