GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

07-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
kriegs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

M school delivery

Thinking about taking delivery here in September and wondering if it is reasonable to drive it back to south Florida.

I think it is about 650-700 miles.

Anyone ever do this and have any advice.

Thanks

Last edited by kriegs; 07-01-2014 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: mistype
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
zosoboogie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4/Silverstone

I am also doing the Performance Delivery in South Carolina and I plan on driving it back gingerly as the break in period is 1,200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
I am also hoping to do PCD sometime in Aug/Sept and drive back if I can ever get my M3 built and shipped. It's about 720 miles from the Zentrum to Miami.

I did it with the 1M and the hardest part was keeping it under the break-in period guidelines (below 5000rpm, below 80mph, etc) especially with switching gears to vary the rpm's and resisting the urge to drive the $#!& out of it...

I also had to repair a couple of rock chips I picked up during the drive before the clear-film install.

The last time I drove off right after the PCD was over at approximately 3:30pm and I had a tough time staying awake on the drive back since the PCD is packed with activities and starts very early.

I am probably going to pay for a night at the hotel in SC after PCD and hit the road the next day....

Just my two cents
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

I am also working out the details for fall pickup. This could turn into a group thread for PDC delivery in fall. It would be great to see some other lucky owners.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
kriegs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
I am also hoping to do PCD sometime in Aug/Sept and drive back if I can ever get my M3 built and shipped. It's about 720 miles from the Zentrum to Miami.

I did it with the 1M and the hardest part was keeping it under the break-in period guidelines (below 5000rpm, below 80mph, etc) especially with switching gears to vary the rpm's and resisting the urge to drive the $#!& out of it...

I also had to repair a couple of rock chips I picked up during the drive before the clear-film install.

The last time I drove off right after the PCD was over at approximately 3:30pm and I had a tough time staying awake on the drive back since the PCD is packed with activities and starts very early.

I am probably going to pay for a night at the hotel in SC after PCD and hit the road the next day....

Just my two cents
Thanks. I was just thinking of how I always do Xpel first thing and would not be able to on this car but I may just choose to forgo completely this time and just do a ceramic paint protection sealant when I get back. The film never looks great on lighter cars and I am getting SS.

My car is scheduled now to go into production for week 33 do the earliest I would see delivery is late September if all went perfectly.

Look forward to staying in touch with those who expect to take delivery at PCD.
      07-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
I think that will be the best way to break it in. I was considering it for my last bmw

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Lynchmob6
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO/SO F80 & 135 M-Sport

Garage List
I'm planning to do a PCD also. Several folks that I have talked to recommend staying in the area around Spartanburg the night after delivery, then hitting the Tail of the Dragon the next day and coming about 1/2 home after that drive. Then finishing the drive the third day...something to consider. Still in the break-in, but the corners would be a blast!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
kriegs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchmob6 View Post
I'm planning to do a PCD also. Several folks that I have talked to recommend staying in the area around Spartanburg the night after delivery, then hitting the Tail of the Dragon the next day and coming about 1/2 home after that drive. Then finishing the drive the third day...something to consider. Still in the break-in, but the corners would be a blast!
Sounds like a great plan as I would definitely enjoy some switchbacks as the only test of our cars in Florida is an on ramp and off ramp.
      07-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I already booked 1 Day M School on the September 8th with delivery on the 9th. Check my Journal below to see my plans. It would be awesome if some other FL people were taking delivery the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
zosoboogie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4/Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchmob6 View Post
That's a brilliant idea!! I am going to map it out now!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536
I already booked 1 Day M School on the September 8th with delivery on the 9th. Check my Journal below to see my plans. It would be awesome if some other FL people were taking delivery the same time.
How did you manage to book PCD? My SA said he can't book it until the car goes into production and they have a VIN and approximate delivery date...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
Lynchmob6
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO/SO F80 & 135 M-Sport

Garage List
I haven't booked it yet…still waiting on that information too! Just already planning the trip...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How did you manage to book PCD? My SA said he can't book it until the car goes into production and they have a VIN and approximate delivery date...
Once you get the exact scheduled production day, your SA will get an email from PCD with an earliest date available.

My car went into production on June 13th (about 12 days before the scheduled day and three weeks before confirmed production date), and my SA forwarded the email to me on Monday, June 9th with an earliest PCD date of 8/14/14. Here is what the email looks like:

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM, <PerformanceCenterDelivery@bmwmc.com> wrote:
BMW Performance Center Delivery

The Ultimate Delivery Experience™

Dear John,

Thank you for submitting a Performance Center Delivery reservation for Mr. Matt Moreman. Based upon the production number (0677527) of your customer’s vehicle, the earliest available date for Performance Center Delivery is 8/14/2014, your customer would arrive the evening prior.

Due to the high volume of reservation requests we receive we are only able to hold this tentative delivery date for a limited time. This tentative delivery date may be released and given to another client if we have not received a response from you within 2 business days of the date of this email.

After conferring this date with your customer, please inform us via e-mail if they can attend so we can proceed with delivery arrangements on our end. We will then send a confirmation email to your customer.

In the event your customer is unable to take advantage of this date, you have the option of canceling the reservation or you can provide us with 3 alternate days that meet your customer’s schedule. Alternate dates must fall within 10 working days (Monday thru Friday) after the original assigned date above. Again, dates are assigned according to your customer’s production number and are on a first-come-first-serve basis and Fridays are typically the first days to fill.

You should advise your customer that he/she should not make any travel arrangements until they have received a confirmation email from us and that travel arrangements should not be made more than three weeks prior to the delivery date. Due to production schedules, weather, or other unforeseeable circumstances, the delivery date may need to be changed prior to that three week window.

Please note and advise your customer of the following information:

· The delivery program is designed for the owner and one guest; additional guests cannot be accommodated, NO EXCEPTIONS.

· Child care services are not available. If a client brings a guest under the age of 12, He/ She will be required to accompany them in our café and will not be able to participate in the BMW factory tour or any driving activities during the day.

· Pets are not allowed at the BMW Performance Center or the Greenville Marriott.

European Delivery Customers
Since European Delivery customers receive a vehicle overview when they take delivery of their vehicle in Europe, a vehicle overview will not be given when they take re-delivery at the BMW Performance Center. This allows us to handle the demand for customers who have ordered their vehicle and have not received a vehicle introduction. Please make sure your European Delivery customers are aware of this information.

Accessories
Vehicle accessories can be ordered through your online option ordering tool, to be installed at the VDC. All VDC installed accessories can now be ordered through a tab called “VIA Options” (VDC Installed
Accessories). Please reference bulletin number V-13-0212-0003 for more information and to see which models qualify. The BMW Performance Center does not offer accessory installation. Accessories that cannot be installed at the port will need to be ordered and installed at your BMW Center.

Cancellations
If you need to cancel your customer’s Performance Center Delivery, please complete the cancellation form available on BMW CenterNet immediately. Please note the following two situations:
- If the vehicle has already been shipped to the BMW Performance Center, you are responsible for any shipping charges that apply to transport the vehicle back to your BMW Center. Vehicles are normally delivered to our facility approximately 2 weeks prior to the scheduled delivery date.
- If the vehicle has not been shipped to the BMW Performance Center, the vehicle will simply be re-routed to be transported to your BMW Center at no additional cost.

Thanks and we look forward to working with you and your customer!

You can accept that date or change it up to 10 "working" days after delivery. Prepare yourself for a PCD date that is weeks after your car arrives in the US. My car will be here in the US this week and will most likely arrive at PCD around July 14th. So since I want to do PCD, my car will be sitting in SC for an entire month before PCD. Now my wife is due on 8/20, so I asked for an exception to push it back to 9/9. My car is going to sit there for almost two months!

This is my 2nd PCD. It is one of the coolest things a car guy can do. It is certainly worth waiting a little extra time for your car. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss it further.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
Andrew115
Major
Rep

I just got a delivery confirmation at PDC for Sept 10th. No VIN yet tho.

If any of you decide to do a ride together thru the dragon or anywhere else around that time I would love to tag along.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
MpowerLex
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I am doing PCD on July 22nd!! I can hardly sleep at night.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpowerLex View Post
I am doing PCD on July 22nd!! I can hardly sleep at night.
My dealer won't let employees buy any M3/4's yet. Your lucky.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #17
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got a tentative date of 09/05/2014 for PCD; anybody else on those dates or close?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #18
kriegs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am confirmed for September 17. My wife is joining me so planning to leave afterwards and make it savanna, stay overnight and drive the rest the following day.
      08-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #19
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

I just got an email telling me that my car arrived early, and I could change my date to an earlier one.

I wish I had the same option for the baby that is due.

September 9th can't get here quick enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #20
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I just got an email telling me that my car arrived early, and I could change my date to an earlier one.

I wish I had the same option for the baby that is due.

September 9th can't get here quick enough.
I actually got lucky with the PCD and baby dates; the doctor said anything is fair game after Sept. 10th and PCD is booked Sept. 5th... It's going to be close!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #21
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I actually got lucky with the PCD and baby dates; the doctor said anything is fair game after Sept. 10th and PCD is booked Sept. 5th... It's going to be close!!!
Mine is due the 20th of this month. My original PCD date was 8/14, so that wasn't going work. I should be safe on the 9/9! It just sucks that my car has been sitting at the port waiting on me since 7/15.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #22
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
Mine is due the 20th of this month. My original PCD date was 8/14, so that wasn't going work. I should be safe on the 9/9! It just sucks that my car has been sitting at the port waiting on me since 7/15.
Are you sure it's still at port? My guess would be that they would have it transported to the PCD storage area.

Still sucks though but I am sure it'll be worth the wait.

The kids are obviously the priority but sucks that I have to go without my wife to PCD b/c she can't fly that close to her due date and 10+ hours for the drive back would be brutal for her and our two year old son.

So for now I have a whole month to keep day dreaming about the car and figure out if I am going to drive straight down I-95 or take a different perhaps more scenic route.

Good luck on the deliveries, especially the kid!!!
Appreciate 0