BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Test Drive AW M3 DCT - Compare to e39 m5

Hi all,

I'm going to try to write a detailed (long) review here as I just completed an extensive test drive of an Alpine White on Full Black Leather DCT model equipped with exec, adaptive, LEDs, and 19s. No CCB, no moonroof.

My test drive included WOT runs to redline, smooth and bumpy roads, and a run up to about 100mph. This review is meant to reflect daily driving and backroad bombing - NOT TRACK DUTY or handling behavior at the limits. I'm going to write a little bit about cabin stuff, but focus more on driving.

Ok, let's do this

Cohesive Package

The overall m3 package comes together absolutely beautifully. This is the best M3 ever. To me, the M3 is a racecar you drive on the street - it's not a racecar you drive to and from the track (i.e. gt3). It's the type of car you put a poster on your wall when you are 10, but you actually drive it everyday once you have it.

It does more, better, and is more of a hooning good time than any m3 ever before. Heck, probably any other M short of the 1M. It sounds better in more situations, runs to redline, is planted and solid, responds instantly but is not twitchy, brakes, and accelerates at a league so far above previous M3s are to feel this is a different class of vehicle.

The vehicle exhibits that always desirable "Sum is greater than the parts" - it comes together. It is not a motor, nor a chassis, not a great steering system. It is not an exhaust system that sounds great. It is all together an experience that says "m3" to a degree in which former models did not (IMO).

I am coming from an e39 m5 which, on paper, appears to be the same size vehicle - literaly almost identical. All I can say is, footprint aside, they are vastly different.

When you get into the car, the cabin wraps around you nicely. The seats enfold and support - and are damn comfortable too. The lack of adjustable thigh support is forgotten in moments. You are pressed up into the controls like an m3 is supposed to do - it's far more of a cockpit feeling than the e39, which was more roomy and comfortable. I'm 5'10, about 190 pounds, and a bit broad of shoulder and thick of leg and the range of adjustment was fantastic. I was able to get nice and close to the steering wheel while still leaving plenty of room to move my knees around under the column.

As you begin to drive, this car drives much smaller than it is. This is achieved through the best chassis to date (omg is that thing stiff - insert Lups joke here), but also through what feels like amazing suspension design. Turn-in is not immediate, it's yesterday. The suspension is flat and you are hugged in your seat....how does this come together?

Like a racecar should: Everything is so tight, including the driver, that it moves as one. And because it's so tight, and so immediate, it's telepathic. You move as one. You don't turn the steering wheel, you turn the car.

Now you can experience this in a Porsche, absolutely, but this is a 110" wheelbase BMW 3-series and you are experiencing it in THAT application which is what makes it so damn impressive.

Let's get into the specific sub-systems

DCT Transmission

I can't speak about the engine before speaking about the transmission, because there's important context here.

I would not buy the DCT.

This transmission is too much of a video game. I don't mean that condescendingly, i mean that it totally alters the experience depending upon mode. Its so dependent upon mode that if you don't select the right one prior to your urge to mash the pedal, you will be dissapointed or not get what you want.

Let me re-state that: If you are not a BMW DCT aficionado, and know exactly what mode you want, and change to it prior to whatever driving you intend to do, you will often find the engine's response not in line with your expectations. Let me give one example.

As UAE247 reported, it slips itself in low RPMs and moderate throttle input in low gears. It makes the engine feel softer, it makes you feel like the throttle input you are giving needs to be more because it's not responding linearly. This is in S2 and is the same in sport or sport plus throttle settings.

It's also removing a vital part of the driving process. It was less fun, bottom line. And this is no way detracts from the fact that it is fast and smooth and wonderful. It's the best transmission evah! blah blah blah. It's 90 pounds and $2900 and makes the center tunnel uglier. Between that an my driving experience, it's no longer even a "I wonder what it would be like to own the DCT version" question - it's done. Cooked. For me.

Engine

I'm coming from a 5.0 liter, mildly tuned, ~420hp/370tq S62 engine. My expectations were that this engine would blow the S62 away.

I was not dissapointed.

First off, this engine & gearing when on boil is WORLDS faster than my S62 and heavier e39. At one point, the rear end was in the air (yes, AIR) because it built speed so violently that it stepped out while going over a bump and the rear end lifted slightly. This was specifically because I was unprepared for the slam of acceleration - and I had full DSC on, which is one reason I know it went into the air - because the rear flew out sideways and the RPMs blew up before DSC caught up

This engine loves to rev and race to redline. It is NOT flat above 5500 rpms - but it is no longer building steam either. However, the race to redline characteristic is there - it wants to be revved out and shifted hard. Comparatively, my S62 was less rev happy (probably a function of size).

Now, I believe the engine has lag - though that may have been the DCT slipping down low. BMW has tuned this engine so that the power is extremely linear in how it rolls on. You don't feel traditional turbo lag, but you feel initial softness that dissapears a few moments later. Again though, at several times that was definitely the transmisison itself. Other times it may have been the engine building boost.

All that aside, this is one fun engine and perfectly suited to this car. It's brawny in power yet very.....racecar like. It feels like a small displacement engine that has a ton of guts. And it just fits the character of the car so well. Hard to explain that any better. It doesn't feel like a small high strung engine nor like a big engine in a small car. It feels like a special engine perfectly suited to the rest of the vehicle...

Sounds

You can't talk about engine without mentioning sound. OMG the sound. The all present sound.

There is no way I would make this car louder. This thing is about as loud as my Tubi Rumore (the loud version), resonator-deleted, S62.

I'm sorry but this car sounds phenomenal. It sounds special. I have spent months listening to crappy videos and reading questioning reviews.

At idle and at low speeds, it brrrraapppsss. It reminds me of Porsche, not in that it sounds like a flat six but that it sounds anti-social. It's not smooth, it's not mellifluous. It's gnarly. It's totally different from anything I have any experience with and it sounds great. (Note I didn't hear cold start)

It sounds good revving sitting still. Again, unique.

But mainly, when you drive it, there is ALOT of sound with moderate to heavy throttle input. Windows up or down. I'm sure this is augmented by active sound: I couldn't tell it was speaker'd in. It just sounded like a very present aftermarket exhaust and intake was fitted on the car.

It is LOUD inside when you are on it. I mean like, when I first started driving it, I was concerned I would get tired of it.

I switched it to comfort, piddled along at 2000rpms in 4th, and it was almost as quiet as a regular 3-series. There's still a hint of engine and exhaust sound, but just a hint. Perfectly calm and professional.

However, at WOT when you are ringing it out, the sound is part of the all-encompassing experience. At much as your attention is focused on steering, braking, throttle, traction, and accelerative forces - your mind is blanked out by the wall of sound coming at you. It's kinda cool.

Lastly, there's truly very little road or wind noise. Yes, wind noise comes out at higher speeds. It's well controlled. If you expect none or less, you probably have your expectations set for a different type of vehicle.

Bottom line: Sitting still, driving, ringing it out. Sounds excellent, unique, and has some anti-social grawl (yes, grawl) to it that sounds like a non-traditional engine sound but comes out well.

Ride Characteristics

So I went into this intending to test the adaptive suspension.

Let's get one thing out of the way: This car handles and controls body motion to a ludricrous level in any mode of adaptive suspension. Comfort or Sport +, the car is flat and reactive. So changing between modes is not about handling prowess unless there's a specific situation needing a firmer or softer damping level.
(I.e. I can imagine bumpy back roads would benefit from comfort, whereas paper smooth tracks might give you a bit better body control in sport+)

Sport mode is an awesome mode for everything. Think "auto" mode.

However, what I'd buy the adaptive suspension for is "comfort" mode - can it soak up bumps?

Yes, quite nicely in fact. There is a very notable difference between sport+ and comfort mode in handling bumps, pockmarks, and pavement. I'd most likely keep the suspension in comfort for my entire daily commute.

In that mode, the car rides wonderfully on 19s. Firm and connected but never any harshness. It's just the slightest bit "busy" on rough pavement due to, I think, the lack of suspension travel on the M3. I imagine with 18" wheels/tires it will be perfect, as it feels like it could use a tad more rubber compliance in rougher roadways.

Steering

This is one of the key reasons I'm buying an M3. Because the f30 steering didn't cut it for me.

I'm pleased with the M3 steering. Not blown away, but one of the best things about it to me is it is appropriately solid. It doesn't react to road surface changes inappropriately, it reacts to driver input. It's not twitchy but it is immediately responsive. And it's precise. It's so well weighted that you steer it exactly the amount you want and not more. It is not hefty for the sake of heft either and even sport + is a nice place to be. Honestly, you can't go wrong in any of the steering modes.

To me, the thing about this steering I'd remark on is that it is perfectly suited for this specific application. The chassis is so responsive, the suspension so flat, that a twitchy steering system would ruin this car for daily driving. You need a solid, stable steer. And this is that, in spades.

I will also say that straight line stability is amazingly admirable. I'd guess this car is running +.4 toe-in, except it turn-ins instantly. I'd guess caster was through the roof, except there's almost no steering kickback. I'm no chassis engineer, but I don't know how they got this blend of characteristics.

It is not dead on center, but it is TIGHT on center. There's no slop for me.

Braking

When I first used the brakes in earnest (and I mean coming to a stop light from 70mph with moderate pressure), I re-confirmed these were the standard brakes. I can't comment on fade resistance or track performance.

What I can say is that the pedal feel is immaculate, immediate, and with great modulation. There's the slightest hint of tip-in at the top of pedal travel so you aren't jerking yourself against the seatbelt every time you tap the pedal and then it's just very firm progression.

If the mark of an amazing braking system is that you don't think about and that it never gives you any reason to doubt it, this is it. After my first 90 seconds of driving, I didn't think about braking - it was just natural and right and 100% confidence.

Ok I've hit all the driving notes. Engine, trans, suspension, ride, steering, braking, sounds.

I'll be honest and say that I have the slightest bit of trepidation that it's 'too hardcore' for me as a daily driver if not for adjustability. The level of interior sound, the snugness of the seats, and the firm ness of the ride - if I wasn't able to dial down the sound with comfort mode when desired, adjust the seat bolsters, and put it in comfort mode on the highway I'd actually be concerned about this car as a DD.

However, I can do all of those things - making it literally the perfect DD for me as an adult who is living our childhood fantasies but doesn't want to pay the price

On another front, I have AW on order. I have to say: I don't think AW is the right color for this car. The lines need reflectivity, and AW doesn't do that. I may stick with AW - we'll see. I'm considering silverstone though.

Hope you enjoyed my novel. Questions welcome. -Joe
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Great review. I agree with just about everything you said. On the DCT, it is a personal thing. Almost every car I've had has been a manual transmission, but I ordered DCT and love it so far. On the colour, you just have to go with your gut. I had initially wanted SO, then ended up switching to AW. Now, I'm having a few second thoughts about SO after actually seeing it, but am trying to put them out of my mind! AW is fine, and it is more about driving the car then the colour.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Now, I believe the engine has lag - though that may have been the DCT slipping down low. BMW has tuned this engine so that the power is extremely linear in how it rolls on. You don't feel traditional turbo lag, but you feel initial softness that dissapears a few moments later. Again though, at several times that was definitely the transmisison itself. Other times it may have been the engine building boost.
This is almost the exact impression I got when test driving. If it were SMG II then I would know for a fact that the pause when planting your foot down was the transmission downshifting. However, with this one I wasn't quite sure whether it was DCT or turbo lag. But, this only happens in a specific set of circumstances. And even after saying all this, it is still not too shabby.

Cheers.
      07-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, though I felt it at least 3 times on my test drive. Enough that it bothered me and wasn't a one-off situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

In sport + how much louder was the car at WOT than E9x M3 and at what rpm does the car get 'loud'? I always felt that the E9x wasn't loud enough for me but never got round to going the aftermarket exhaust route.

Thanks and great write up, very detailed answering loads of questions I had.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Great write up!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
In sport + how much louder was the car at WOT than E9x M3 and at what rpm does the car get 'loud'? I always felt that the E9x wasn't loud enough for me but never got round to going the aftermarket exhaust route.

Thanks and great write up, very detailed answering loads of questions I had.
I can't earnestly answer your first question in comparison to e9x m3. I have no idea in terms of decibel. But I would say "louder". More present. Honestly, it is PRONOUNCED right off the bat.

The sound is pronounced by load (throttle position and RPM) and I would say the notable changes occurred at 3000, 4000, and 5000 rpms with full song being hit at 5000rpms. It continues to evolve beyond that, but the volume or presence of the sound hits it's max at 5000 rpms.

I tried this with windows down and would say the same.

I would never, ever picture an aftermarket exhaust being needed to increase sound volume here. I can see people wanting to change the tone, deepen it, whatever - but to me, honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. It's too good stock to risk messing with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

Great. Thanks!!!! I cannot wait to get this car. I have been reading about it daily from the days when a spy shot "may" come out. I have never driven an //M before. Only a 325 two 335i coupes a 535i and wife's X5. I will be impressed I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
At least you didn't leave us hanging, waiting for a conclusion.

Quote:
The overall m3 package comes together absolutely beautifully. This is the best M3 ever.
Nice write up. Thanks Joe.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Thanks Joe, you said AW is probably not the best of colors for this car. Do you think SSII is a better choice, mostly because I ordered SSII sight unseen.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Nice write up Joe. I took an M6 with DCT out for a test drive and while the shifts were smooth and flawless, I just cannot get on-board with the DCT coming from a 6MT. It feels too "disconnected." My 2¢.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I can't earnestly answer your first question in comparison to e9x m3. I have no idea in terms of decibel. But I would say "louder". More present. Honestly, it is PRONOUNCED right off the bat.

The sound is pronounced by load (throttle position and RPM) and I would say the notable changes occurred at 3000, 4000, and 5000 rpms with full song being hit at 5000rpms. It continues to evolve beyond that, but the volume or presence of the sound hits it's max at 5000 rpms.

I tried this with windows down and would say the same.

I would never, ever picture an aftermarket exhaust being needed to increase sound volume here. I can see people wanting to change the tone, deepen it, whatever - but to me, honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. It's too good stock to risk messing with it.
Thanks for the response
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Thank you for an enjoyable read/review. So happens it's timely as I was at my local BMW dealership today to take a good look at the M 19" silver wheels being offered by BMW as an upgrade...as I've been waffling back in forth between slv or blk. Anyway they had a AW M4, silver wheels, moonroof and SO inferior in stock. I could not help but think the AW really let this car down as do the silver wheels but that SO interior...I just couldn't take my eyes off, it was gorgeous. The moonroof was also not to my liking either.

In addition, I want to add a comment that struck me a little funny made by the SA I was engage with. And I want to add here, I'm looking at the M4 while he said this. He basically called the M3 a true muscle car, that has been pretty much selling out dealer allocation inventories all over the place for 2014 delivery. He referenced the M4 as a slimmer less eye catching version that was easier to obtain.

The above comments are not meant to offend but rather to give my opinion and voice the comment of the SA and that of a future buyer of an M3 in SO. Though I will add, the SA favored AW/SO with cfr and blk wheels as the combo to get.
      07-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
In addition, I want to add a comment that struck me a little funny made by the SA I was engage with. And I want to add here, I'm looking at the M4 while he said this. He basically called the M3 a true muscle car, that has been pretty much selling out dealer allocation inventories all over the place for 2014 delivery. He referenced the M4 as a slimmer less eye catching version that was easier to obtain.

The above comments are not meant to offend but rather to give my opinion and voice the comment of the SA and that of a future buyer of an M3 in SO. Though I will add, the SA favored AW/SO with cfr and blk wheels as the combo to get.
That SA is a dumbass, a muscle car with four doors and an inline-6 engine? The closest to a muscle car BMW has ever gotten was the E92 coupe, and even that was more of a pony car.

The M3 is the much nicer-looking car, though, and I too like the new red interior. Only problem is I already have a car with red interior and the most appealing exterior color I've seen so far is the Tanzanite blue, so it's gonna have to be black or individual saddle brown.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

A muscle car is defined by character not doors and cylinders. The new m3 is part muscle car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Thanks for this - nice details and impressions!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #17
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

However, I can do all of those things - making it literally the perfect DD for me as an adult who is living our childhood fantasies but doesn't want to pay the price

On another front, I have AW on order. I have to say: I don't think AW is the right color for this car. The lines need reflectivity, and AW doesn't do that. I may stick with AW - we'll see. I'm considering silverstone though.

Hope you enjoyed my novel. Questions welcome. -Joe

Joe,
Something else I forgot to add. As I pointed out above I thought the AW just didn't do it for the M4, but I would like to say the lines of the car are much more pronounced in MW...it was my second choice behind SO, and I will add a very tough choice. And second, "childhood fantasies" - I hear you bro, I hear you!
      07-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Excellent review, and I agree on all points. The wind/road noise is very quiet in this car, which makes an even more dramatic backdrop for the engine/exhaust noise. The wind noise DOES pick up with speed though . . . it was the main thing that alerted me to the fact that I was going over 130mph on the autobahn after just a few seconds of part throttle in sport+ today.

The ride tuning is just about perfect in all modes, and it really goes well with the chassis, tires, and steering to make for an awesome drive.

Especially agree with your point about being able to dial it back to comfort. I averaged 22.7mpg over my 200 miles today, and it was still climbing at the end of my trip. I can't think of a better do-it-all car in existence than this.

After driving this car, I'm pretty excited to see Chris Harris' video.

Last edited by Racer20; 07-01-2014 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #19
czarmar
Private
Rep
Drives: 1999 323i

Quote:
..In that mode, the car rides wonderfully on 19s. Firm and connected but never any harshness. It's just the slightest bit "busy" on rough pavement due to, I think, the lack of suspension travel on the M3. I imagine with 18" wheels/tires it will be perfect, as it feels like it could use a tad more rubber compliance in rougher roadways.
Hey Joe,

Are you going with the 18"s or 19"s on your car? I was for sure going with the 19s until I was pleasantly surprised that the 18s do look better in person than the configurator or pics. The 19's do look outstanding, but they only would have a cosmetic benefit for me.

Coming from an e39 M5 myself, I am so excited about this car. I'm even tempted to drop the $650 to tear up an M3 on a short track all day with the BMW Ultimate Drive Experience.

1999 323i with 292K miles
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Nice review Joe. So you'll be getting the adaptive suspension?
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Yep
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #22
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
At my welt pickup today I saw MW and it picks up the lines far better than AW. If you want white, go mineral.
Appreciate 0