F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Windsheil Washer Fluid Tank
proTUNING Freaks

07-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
sirfatty
Code Monkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I

Windsheil Washer Fluid Tank

All,

I filled my washer fluid up to the very top (Almost to the point of overflowing). Closed the lid and went inside for the night. The next morning i went out and was driving for a while and the low washer fluid light did not chime. I then used maybe 2-3 seconds worth of fluid and the light came back on. When i got home it took another jug and a half to top it back off. Way more than i normally use.

I am hoping this is not normal. Does anyone know how i can access the tank or where it is stored. How many times can you use your fluid before the light comes on.

Thanks,

Jim
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
JimCash
Always a Mystery to Solve
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 328ixM & E39 540iA

It sure sounds like you have a leak somewhere.
With normal operation you should get many uses before the level gets low - also depends whether you have headlight washers as well - if you do they operate every 3rd time you use your washers - but only when the headligts are turned on.

The reservoir tank and pumps are in the fender below the filler - behind the wheel well liner. You have to raise the car, remove the wheel and then remove the wheel well liner.

But first - I would try operating the washers at home with the car parked. Check to see of there is any leakage from the hoses themselves that are along the rear of the hood.

Then look for any leakage onto the ground under the reservoir - other than what may drain from what was sprayed onto the windshield .

OR - if you level is always dropping that quickly just take it in for warranty work.

Cheers
Jim Cash
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
jelecroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2014 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Could be the fluid

When F30s first hit the streets I seem to recall some issues with using non-BMW windshield washer fluids. IIRC the RainX washer fluids appeared to cause errors for the washer fluid level sensor. You might try just draining teh fluid and replacing with a different product. Or scan teh forums for data from a year or two ago.
Appreciate 0