http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-model-s-video
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

The ActiveE and i3 have the same exact problems. (yes, I know this from firsthand experience on Laguna Seca Raceway)

This has nothing to do with Tesla being a good or great car. This has to do with Battery technology in road cars isn't designed for the racetrack.

A good parallel would be race engines (Internal Combustion type). You don't design a race engine to last 100,000 miles. You design it to last 3 or 4 races. (or however many your race series rules specify)

The same is done for Teslas (or ActiveEs or i3s). The car is protecting the integrity of the battery pack by keeping it from overheating.

Tesla could easily allow you to drive the 'Ring at full throttle all day long, but the heat generated from THAT design of motor, battery pack, and cooling system would cause damage to the vehicle.

That article isn't a worthy review of the Tesla. It ain't journalism, for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

The i8 will have the same heating issues in the track and will go into limp mode. These cars in their current incarnation aren't designed for track use.

The technology will evolve and we will see full blown electric race cars. It's very interesting to me to watch this unfold. Next year, I think, there will be a new Formula E series dedicated to electric racing.

Check out this Chris Harris video of an electric LeMans car prototype. That thing is proper fast, and is designed from the get go to go racing.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rototype-video

We are not there yet but this will become more mainstream. Those who embrace the tech will want to go racing with it, and by putting it to the limit, will improve the tech for us mere mortals.

And, as a side note, while we are on the subject of tracking electric cars, I found this Chris Harris review of the SLS AMG Electric Drive to be very interesting as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/11/t...-chris-harris/

Another performance oriented electric car, purpose built from the ground up by AMG where only the outside looks like a "regular" SLS ... Awesome stuff.

Last edited by ddk632; 07-21-2014 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Added link for Formula E series
Appreciate 0