F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2013 and Older (Non AH3) + iPhone 5 and Newer
Extreme Powerhouse

07-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

2013 and Older (Non AH3) + iPhone 5 and Newer

I just had a 4 series loaner which had NBT (which, I'm already upset about not having!), but the best feature for me at least, was bluetooth audio. That or at least the ability to play music directly using the lightning cable instead of the Y cable work-around.

As I don't have Tech Package on my 2013 F30 (which has CIC), I'm assuming that also without NBT, I still need to resort to using a USB stick to play music? I only say this, because the Y cable provides is ATROCIOUS quality compared to using the native/digital lighting cable directly to my iPhone or USB stick.

I was really hoping that there would be a coding solution to at least permit one to use their lighting cable iPhone without the need for the Y cable to allow high quality audio.

If not, I guess this is only a rant, that one can purchase a $50,000 car that can't even "communicate" natively with a smartphone that's a year old. Just wanting to see other's solutions or suggestions. I'm in this lease for 2 more years, and it looks like I can't even perform a function that a 2013 Ford Focus comes with for free ...

EDIT:

Found that there is now a lightning cable Y-cable. Anxious to see if this enhances quality at all:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...65&fg=95&hl=12

Last edited by Pauleebe; 07-29-2014 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
I just had a 4 series loaner which had NBT (which, I'm already upset about not having!), but the best feature for me at least, was bluetooth audio. That or at least the ability to play music directly using the lightning cable instead of the Y cable work-around.

As I don't have Tech Package on my 2013 F30 (which has CIC), I'm assuming that also without NBT, I still need to resort to using a USB stick to play music? I only say this, because the Y cable provides is ATROCIOUS quality compared to using the native/digital lighting cable directly to my iPhone or USB stick.

I was really hoping that there would be a coding solution to at least permit one to use their lighting cable iPhone without the need for the Y cable to allow high quality audio.

If not, I guess this is only a rant, that one can purchase a $50,000 car that can't even "communicate" natively with a smartphone that's a year old. Just wanting to see other's solutions or suggestions. I'm in this lease for 2 more years, and it looks like I can't even perform a function that a 2013 Ford Focus comes with for free ...

Umm, Ok. I have a 2013 F30 328i with CIC (I too was a bit unhappy that it didn't have the NBT, as my production date was 1 month below when NBT started). However, I can play (stream) music via Bluetooth, I can also play music via the lightning cable plugged into the USB under the arm rest and I do not have to use the Y cable at all... matter of fact, I tried to use the Y cable with my ipod when I first got the car, and it wouldn't work properly. So I used an older Iphone 4 as my "ipod" and got the cradle and now everything works great... Bluetooth sound is good and my call quality is excellent - I do have the enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Umm, Ok. I have a 2013 F30 328i with CIC (I too was a bit unhappy that it didn't have the NBT, as my production date was 1 month below when NBT started). However, I can play (stream) music via Bluetooth, I can also play music via the lightning cable plugged into the USB under the arm rest and I do not have to use the Y cable at all... matter of fact, I tried to use the Y cable with my ipod when I first got the car, and it wouldn't work properly. So I used an older Iphone 4 as my "ipod" and got the cradle and now everything works great... Bluetooth sound is good and my call quality is excellent - I do have the enhanced Bluetooth.
Okay so you have enhanced bluetooth, that must be why.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Okay so you have enhanced bluetooth, that must be why.
Do you have the on board navigation system? If so, you can just have it enabled via coding on your CIC since you have the combox in your trunk.

Not all NBT vehicles have Enhanced Bluetooth Enabled, I've seen even on the F15s and F25s not have it despite having NBT and a lot of other options. It usually comes with the BMW Connected Drive Professional package which comes with the base plate for the snap in adapter, Real Time Traffic, BMW Online Services etc.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 07-21-2014 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Do you have the on board navigation system? If so, you can just have it enabled via coding on your CIC since you have the combox in your trunk.

Not all NBT vehicles have Enhanced Bluetooth Enabled, I've seen even on the F15s and F25s not have it despite having NBT and a lot of other options. It usually comes with the BMW Connected Drive Professional package which comes with the base plate for the snap in adapter, Real Time Traffic, BMW Online Services etc.
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth was part of the NBT Nav option in all USA MY2014 BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't.

Mostly irritated because:

1) I was told by my SA that all F30's can place phone calls using BT and stream music using the USB port without needing a package.

2) Had I waited 1 month, I could have ordered the EXACT same vehicle and received this feature for free.

3) A $50,000 German Sports Sedan lacks standard functionality compared to a $20,000 Asian Econobox?

Again, sorry for the rant. Mainly just trying to find out if I'm truly SOL and should start creating a pull ahead build, or if there is some workaround. Obviously it's senseless to retrofit a package over 1 year into the lease for several hundred/thousand dollars. It seems as though no one really knows which features come standard with which MY, and BMW seems more confused than forum members
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth was part of the NBT Nav option in all USA MY2014 BMW's.
That only applies to the US. I believe all vehicles that take the Technology package automatically will get 6AK, 6AM, 6AC, 6AE and 6NS.

In Canada, 6NH is the standard option if you took nav and no connected drive services.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT AY

OP, I have the non-tech, non-nav loadout on my 2014, and the y-cable sound quality for my iphone5s is also horrible. Sound from a USB stick is great.

However, I don't think it's the y-cable itself; I think the AUX port in this car just sucks, since I bought a premium aux 3.5mm male-to-male cable to attach to my phone and the sound quality was even worse.

I feel your rant; $54k for this to be an issue ....

Last edited by ReddsektoR; 07-22-2014 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:03 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

That was what I stated.

You are questioning an USA vehicle equipment with NBT using Canadian specs. We in the USA do not need the Technology Package to have Enhanced USB and Bluetooth. Our MY2014 NBT Nav option included it.

Quote:
That only applies to the US. I believe all vehicles that take the Technology package automatically will get 6AK, 6AM, 6AC, 6AE and 6NS.

In Canada, 6NH is the standard option if you took nav and no connected drive services.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Is your F30 equipped with BMW Assist?

Quote:
I don't.

Mostly irritated because:

1) I was told by my SA that all F30's can place phone calls using BT and stream music using the USB port without needing a package.

2) Had I waited 1 month, I could have ordered the EXACT same vehicle and received this feature for free.

3) A $50,000 German Sports Sedan lacks standard functionality compared to a $20,000 Asian Econobox?

Again, sorry for the rant. Mainly just trying to find out if I'm truly SOL and should start creating a pull ahead build, or if there is some workaround. Obviously it's senseless to retrofit a package over 1 year into the lease for several hundred/thousand dollars. It seems as though no one really knows which features come standard with which MY, and BMW seems more confused than forum members
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezerteagel323 View Post
OP, I have the non-tech, non-nav loadout on my 2014, and the y-cable sound quality for my iphone5s is also horrible. Sound from a USB stick is great.

However, I don't think it's the y-cable itself; I think the AUX port in this car just sucks, since I bought a premium aux 3.5mm male-to-male cable to attach to my phone and the sound quality was even worse.

I feel your rant; $54k for this to be an issue ....
Nonsense, you're in luck. 2014's can use the native Lightning cable directly with the USB port, no need for the Y-Cable! With the updated NBT iDrive, BMW decided to stop being cheap like they did on the 2012-2013 F30's, and include support for lightning playback included in all 2014 F30's and F32's.

Quote:
Is your F30 equipped with BMW Assist?
No.

Just seems so odd that random other features having NOTHING to do with using a lightning cable (BMW Assist, enhanced bluetooth), can enable me to natively use my lightning cable to play music without a Y-cable, thus achieving much improved audio quality.

Also irritating, because enhanced bluetooth would have made my lease payment only $4.90 more a month, and now I'm screwed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nonsense, you're in luck. 2014's can use the native Lightning cable directly with the USB port, no need for the Y-Cable! With the updated NBT iDrive, BMW decided to stop being cheap like they did on the 2012-2013 F30's, and include support for lightning playback included in all 2014 F30's and F32's.
How??? I've connected my lightning cable directly to the USB port and iDrive doesn't even detect my phone. It only charges the phone ...

Last edited by ReddsektoR; 07-22-2014 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep

Ughhh, I think I know now. I have CIC iDrive, not NBT.

I guess even for a freaking MY2014, you get the old CIC if you don't get the tech/nav option...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

You do not need NBT for the lightning cable to work. I have a 2013 328i with the CIC unit - it's the latest one prior to NBT and I have enhanced Bluetooth and BMW connected apps... now mine came with the snap in adapter, but again, I can plug my iPhone 5 into my car without the snap in adapter, then I can see album art work, I can play the iTunes radio also (although it seems like it opens up a telephone conversation and streams the music). In any event - it charges the iPhone, streams music, allows me to use the BMW connected app to do other things - I can do the gopro video on the screen....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
You do not need NBT for the lightning cable to work. I have a 2013 328i with the CIC unit - it's the latest one prior to NBT and I have enhanced Bluetooth and BMW connected apps... now mine came with the snap in adapter, but again, I can plug my iPhone 5 into my car without the snap in adapter, then I can see album art work, I can play the iTunes radio also (although it seems like it opens up a telephone conversation and streams the music). In any event - it charges the iPhone, streams music, allows me to use the BMW connected app to do other things - I can do the gopro video on the screen....
I see, yea I didn't get Enhanced USB/bluetooth on my order, so that's why it doesn't work on my CIC.

Oh and sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How??? I've connected my lightning cable directly to the USB port and iDrive doesn't even detect my phone. It only charges the phone ...
And you have a 2014 (which means NBT)?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I guess even for a freaking MY2014, you get the old CIC if you don't get the tech/nav option...
Huh? I really thought every 2014 got NBT.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep

I ordered my car in April 2014 so it must be a 2014 lol. Just sucks that CIC is still around
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

BMW Assist = Combox = BMW Apps = Enhanced USB and Bluetooth = Lightning cable

Because your car did not come with BMW Assist then you cannot retrofit BMW apps in your car unless you retrofit the physical Combox unit.

Please contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details and pricing of the Combox retrofit and activation of BMW Apps -100% OEM.

Quote:
No.

Just seems so odd that random other features having NOTHING to do with using a lightning cable (BMW Assist, enhanced bluetooth), can enable me to natively use my lightning cable to play music without a Y-cable, thus achieving much improved audio quality.

Also irritating, because enhanced bluetooth would have made my lease payment only $4.90 more a month, and now I'm screwed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

CIC = Navigation unit = MY2012 - MY2013 F30.
NBT = Navigation unit = MY2014+ F30

The only exception is the MY2013+ AH3 with standard NBT and no Navigation enabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #21
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CIC = Navigation unit = MY2012 - MY2013 F30.
NBT = Navigation unit = MY2014+ F30

The only exception is the MY2013+ AH3 with standard NBT and no Navigation enabled.

I see, so looks like I have the "standard" NBT.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I see, so looks like I have the "standard" NBT.
Again, the only "standard" NBT is in the AH3.

Any other F30 has an optional NBT unit if the Navigation option is selected. Otherwise, the standard iDrive unit is just a Professional Radio.
Appreciate 0