THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M Performance Exhaust noise in Comfort Mode

07-27-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
E46toF22
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

M Performance Exhaust noise in Comfort Mode

So I just ordered my '15 M235i today (and I'm pretty excited about that!):

MW on black
6MT
Executive and Premium Packages
Lumbar Support
BMW ConnectedDrive Services

Still deciding on Aluminum Hexagon vs. Brushed Aluminum trim, but I have a bit of time to decide.

I am still deciding on whether to order the MPE (as with the trim, I have a bit of time to decide to add it to my order). In the meantime, I've had a question from a family member about whether the MPE is louder inside the car than the stock exhaust. I have read a couple of threads in which the MPE's noise is discussed - it sounds like in sport/sport +, there might be a difference, but I just need to be fairly clear on 2 questions:
  • Do you think my passengers will notice a difference in comfort mode (assuming the windows are up)?
  • Is there that much of a difference inside (again, windows up) in Sport/Sport +?

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Stock muffler and PE is quite "throaty"on all start ups, for 30-35 seconds. Not loud but throaty/deep. Personally it was quite satisfying on start up. But then,

It dies down to almost no deep sound in stock--windows up...or down.

The PE also dies down, in same time frame, but maintains a discernible bit more throaty sound, but no drone, nothing at all offensive. With windows down, you hear it more...windows up??? much less of course.

After PE has 1K on it, it gets deeper. BUT not a lot...and no drone.

Same situ in COMFORT or SPORT...tho sport and sport + adds more R's to motor and thus allows for more sound potentials as its more assertive -- so more uptake sound & back pressure on backing off. You have MT so you can control R's a lot more. AT's settle in, and the environment gas saving gears bring the sound down more.

Is it worth it? Yes if you wish your car to sound better than stock. But when this sound issue is debated, it is really subjective. I actually had the PE, and liked it, but took it off and had solid 3" custom straight pipes with a "T" allowing it to go to both side exits, like the actual inside of muffler construction. Flanged it proper so I can put either PE or the pipes on...if I wish. No welding...all proper kit and good nick for my pleasure...or re-sale later. Hope this helps.

Last edited by zkeeper; 07-27-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
E46toF22
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

That helps a lot - thanks!
Appreciate 0