F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Trouble with Dealership and Navigation
Extreme Powerhouse

08-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
meyer30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 94 318is

Garage List
Trouble with Dealership and Navigation

I'm having a problem with BMW here in Florida. I purchased the car while I was stationed in Germany and they dellivered it with European maps. I am back in the states now and they want me to fork over $600 to have the U.S. maps installed onto the navigation. We were told in Germany that all we had to do was show up at the U.S. dealership when we arrived back here and they would change everything over. I spoke with BMW NorthAmerica and they are no help either. I don't think I'm asking for alot. I never requested European maps on my US Spec car. Is it possible for me to do this myself? Thanks for any help
      08-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer30 View Post
I'm having a problem with BMW here in Florida. I purchased the car while I was stationed in Germany and they dellivered it with European maps. I am back in the states now and they want me to fork over $600 to have the U.S. maps installed onto the navigation. We were told in Germany that all we had to do was show up at the U.S. dealership when we arrived back here and they would change everything over. I spoke with BMW NorthAmerica and they are no help either. I don't think I'm asking for alot. I never requested European maps on my US Spec car. Is it possible for me to do this myself? Thanks for any help
Contact forum vendor BimmerTech for the map enabling codes prices and ask in the forum for somebody to lend you the OEM USB stick ($42 at the dealer) with the latest USA maps. Then you can do it yourself.

I would have given you mine but I erased it...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
meyer30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Well here is another problem. I was looking to see what version I have and under navigation it says ECE BMW 1.0.1 Testmap 2008-2. What does that mean? They never actually installed an updated map of any kind. It's 2013 but I have a 2008 map. Doesn't make sense. Begining to feel like I've been ripped off a little.
      08-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Peter-K
Private
Rep
Drives: 220d M Sport

Quote:
Well here is another problem. I was looking to see what version I have and under navigation it says ECE BMW 1.0.1 Testmap 2008-2. What does that mean? They never actually installed an updated map of any kind. It's 2013 but I have a 2008 map. Doesn't make sense. Begining to feel like I've been ripped off a little.
Out of interest I thought I'd look for BMW Military Sales. At http://www.bavarianmotorcars.com/bmw/program.php
it says:
In the RH margin
"All BMWs are U.S. spec, and comply with U.S.import requirements, so that once your tour is over, you can continue to enjoy your BMW back home in the United States."
And in the body text
8. Free Stateside maintenance

Should you take delivery of your new BMW directly in the USA, you will also be entitled to free maintenance for the first 4yrs/50,000miles of ownership, this even includes oil changes!

When taking European delivery you will also receive the free maintenance upon returning to the U.S. after you have shipped your vehicle home for the remainder of the 4yr/50,000 mile period. The start date runs from the delivery acceptance date in Europe.

Those to statements would indicate you had a temporary "test map" installed and that the US maps would be supplied later.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Peter-K
Private
Rep

Have you decoded your VIN to see the destination market?http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
meyer30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
It shows USA as the Market
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Peter-K
Private
Rep

Quote:
It shows USA as the Market
So a US specification car with temporary EU mapping is not what you bought. AFAIK all EC member states have consumer laws give the buyer the right to get what they expected and it doesn't have to be in writing (I've just had a Subaru BRZ bought back from me by the dealer at the price I paid even though at the time of sale the fact that the repaired damage to the vehicle was not known to either party).

I'd have thought that an email to the vendor and cc'd to the relevant country's BMW customer services should produce a result in 2-3 days
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since it is a USA market car that was never loaded with the proper USA-spec maps, I would think they owe that to you and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Go to the dealership and have THEM deal with BMW NA about it. If they can't or don't want to, get on the phone with BMW NA and tell them you're not getting off the phone until you get a concrete answer with a written source saying that what you want is or is not covered.

You shouldn't be left in the dark with something like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #9
jacco
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39 540i/6 + E91 328i

Quote:
Interesting. I just bought a used 2010 E91 that is also a former military purchase program vehicle. I have the exact same map version. Can you tell me how this ended? I'll send a PM also...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
RobMiller
Rep
Drives: 16 F30, 99 E46, 93 K11, 87 E30

Was the dealer you purchased the car from a BMW dealer, or a German dealership that sells BMWs?

Last edited by RobMiller; 01-26-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
jacco
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39 540i/6 + E91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMiller View Post
Was the dealer you purchased the car from a BMW dealer, or a German dealership that sells BMWs?
Sorry, missed this completely. I purchased the car from a Honda dealer in Colorado... So the service member took it back to the US and traded it in for a Honda, presumably...
Appreciate 0