E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question & Advisory: KW DDC w/WLAN Module for 335i/335is?

08-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
Question & Advisory: KW DDC w/WLAN Module for 335i/335is?

Advisory:

I recently purchased a KW DDC (Dynamic Damping Control) suspension with the Wifi LAN module and iPhone software and had it installed in my 335is. I was assured that as long as the chassis was an e90/e92 coupe - everything would be fine. Then the problems sprouted.

After verifying the DDC Coilover Kit would work I purchased it. Once installed it stopped (DDC) working after three days. I called KW only to be told by another tech that a 335is kit had yet to be made for the car. I blew a fuse. After dropping a chunk of change including the install that is not what I wanted to hear. Then another tech checked his co-worker and verified that the DDC kit would work for the 2007+ 3Series E90/E92 2wd and verified the part number as P/N #39020008

When the KW 335i wiring guide did not match the actual 335is connectors this was a bad omen. After months of Stillen Motorsports (retailer/installer) and myself battling KW because the KW ECU would not stay up for more than 72 hours before shutting down...we finally resolved the problem - and it was a simple fix but was made worse by KW techs who seemed clueless and documentation that was horrible. I had to re-flash the KW ECU three times with their software tool which also exposed more problems with the KW documentation; which by-the-way is right up there as some of the worst technical support docs I have ever had to use. Not only are they wrong in areas but vague and assumptory in many places. Even the procedural steps to flashing the KW ECU are out of sequence.

Turns out the kit was manufactured in 2012 and sold to me in 2014 and I am told, was that last of three left in the US - not sure if that is the truth or not. Needless to say it does not look like many USA 335i or 335is owners had the DDC coilovers installed. Obviously those manufactured later have the correct software version of 2.5 running - which I guess in the US did not happen because they were all 2012 units and nothing in the kit said "update the ECU to version 2.5." Rather than saying update/flash the ECU to make it current, it took two months of back and forth over wiring (to prove to KW the wiring was correct) and technical documentation (trying to understand incorrect material) with KW to get to this point.

Question:

So - I am wondering just how many 335i/335is' actually installed this system. Now that the ECU is flashed with the latest version of their software, the system works beautifully and there is a huge handling difference and noticeable stiffness and cornering prowess when in one of the three modes but especially Sport+ mode.

If you have this installed in your 335is please post your experiences and how long you have had it. I am re-writing KWs instructions so no one else has to spend two months of pain to finally get it to work and hopefully avoid the crappy documentation provided by KW for their product.

The KW support team seemed like they had never encountered an e92 "i" or "is" before so I am wondering if anyone installed this without the issues etc.

'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 08-17-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update:

If you are buying this system make sure you have flashed the ECU to the latest software version BEFORE you install it in your vehicle. There is nothing telling you to do this except when it does not work and KW runs you all over the place checking wiring first and then the flashing instructions half way through the steps basically say to reinstall and connect the ECU - failing to mention the removal part before.

So...again, good product when it works. Getting it to work on the 335is required trying to figure out KWs poor instructions and having the experience to know just a little more than the techs and solve the problem. Install the USB driver (from their site) for your computer, run their software, and if the first flash does not succeed or give you the response the documentation says it should...flash and flash again until it verifies version 2.5 is installed (something the documentation fails identify adequately). What the software reports and what the instructions say are two different realities. PITA!!!!!!!!!! KW Germany needs to get their act together and put out some accurate instructions and KW USA needs to keep up and stay on top of all this. Customer should not have to be the one leading the way.

Hopefully you can avoid the "Scheiße" that came with the installation.
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 08-17-2014 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

I was considering this kit for my 335is in order to have an electronic suspension dampening control .

Glad you got it all straightened out. What is the latest ECU ROM your on ? I have ILA0S_IS ROM the next one after this is INA0S_IS whis is NOT recommended if your car is tuned
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I was considering this kit for my 335is in order to have an electronic suspension dampening control .

Glad you got it all straightened out. What is the latest ECU ROM your on ? I have ILA0S_IS ROM the next one after this is INA0S_IS whis is NOT recommended if your car is tuned
Yeah...was a mess. But all good now.

If have the car ECU is the ILA0S also. I lost my factory map due to a corrupted hard drive so if you have a tune - save that puppy in more than one place. You lose the launch control with the Cobb tune - but with 14.5 psi all the time - who needs launch control!

The damping via button and iPhone is cool. Would be even better if it was a combo DLC and DDC - maybe they will come out with that in the future. Night and day difference between the factory suspension and the KW DDC. Still not sure the money is worth it - probably because I am still reeling over two month on the KW tech support merry-go-round - but the way the car handles now and how it sticks accelerating into, in, and out of turns with no tire screech - feeling the blood rush out of your head literally is bloody fantastic. If you get the system just make sure the KW ECU unit (pictured) is updated with v2.5 of their software and things should go smooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
Yeah...was a mess. But all good now.

If have the car ECU is the ILA0S also. I lost my factory map due to a corrupted hard drive so if you have a tune - save that puppy in more than one place. You lose the launch control with the Cobb tune - but with 14.5 psi all the time - who needs launch control!
Im running Cobb, and you dont lose LC. I think what you meant to say is the factor method of LC is "useless" due to the increase of powe with the Cobb AP.

Here is another method better than factor and better for the DCT:

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Im running Cobb, and you dont lose LC. I think what you meant to say is the factor method of LC is "useless" due to the increase of powe with the Cobb AP.

Here is another method better than factor and better for the DCT:

Though off topic - I did mean to say .... you lose Launch Control. Yes, I know how to use launch control as I have used it and did not like the bang of the transmission engaging...not smooth and clean like the Porsche 911. And yes, my launch control is now...gone and I am running a COBB Pro-tune. LC left with the tune by the COBB tech. It did also with other 335isers who have a pro-tune as well. So the question is not that the increased power makes launch control null and void (because it does and that is a given at 14.5 psi on demand all the time) - the new question then, would be, did the tuner have to override launch control when he tuned the car or could he have left it in? Because it is definitely not there anymore. In reading and talking to other ISers...theirs is gone also.

Is your car pro-tuned or are you using the generic COBB map stagex xx from their site?

Also read on this forum where JB4 like COBB overrides the LC as well.

That said - I did not know about this method of LC. If I had it I would def try it.

Last edited by EMITTR; 08-19-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post

Is your car pro-tuned or are you using the generic COBB map stagex xx from their site?

Also read on this forum where JB4 like COBB overrides the LC as well.

That said - I did not know about this method of LC. If I had it I would def try it.
There is something not right about that. ProTuning Freaks (PTF) tuned my car, E40 and E50 maps, and I have full access to LC as shown in the video. I even have my own selftuned maps no issues

I can use any Cobbs OTS map from their site and LC is still there. Every JB4 and Proceded user regardless if they are running standalone piggybacks or with backend flash can all use LC

Launch Control is part of the TCU logic, CObb tuning does not mess with that only the ECU. Unless some how your "timer"" in the ECU got reset that locks the availability of LC like in the begining when users bought the car new LC does not become available untill 1500-1600 miles

All this to me is definitely strange indeed. Sorry about the offtopic I will transfer this to a new thread, dont delete anything yet though. I am goign to request Jason trasnfer these post to a new thread so we can keep the OP in check
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is something not right about that. ProTuning Freaks (PTF) tuned my car, E40 and E50 maps, and I have full access to LC as shown in the video. I even have my own selftuned maps no issues

I can use any Cobbs OTS map from their site and LC is still there. Every JB4 and Proceded user regardless if they are running standalone piggybacks or with backend flash can all use LC

Launch Control is part of the TCU logic, CObb tuning does not mess with that only the ECU. Unless some how your "timer"" in the ECU got reset that locks the availability of LC like in the begining when users bought the car new LC does not become available untill 1500-1600 miles

All this to me is definitely strange indeed. Sorry about the offtopic I will transfer this to a new thread, dont delete anything yet though. I am goign to request Jason trasnfer these post to a new thread so we can keep the OP in check
No problem...Now you have me wondering. I have seen threads for both COBB and JB4 saying their LC was overridden by the tune...I am clueless here. I have driven the car nearly 10k miles since the tune...still no LC.
Appreciate 0