E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Ripped Off By Forum Member...

08-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Ripped Off By Forum Member...

A little late on posting this, because of work and other things and finally found the time. But I was ripped off by a member by the name of EricRuiz911

About 3-4 weeks ago, I purchased a set of Linea Corse rims with tires from a forum member by the name of Ericruiz911. They were purchased for my GF's car. They were listed for 1200. In this listing they were listed as GOOD condition. Which means, no cracks, bends etc. He also told me over text message before I bought them that they were in good condition, no cracks or bends just some curb rash, not really a big deal. I sent the paypal payment, it took him roughly 5-7 days to ship the rims. Also, he was extremely hard to get ahold of once I sent the payment. Ignoring my texts, phone calls and what not. That should of been a warning sign to stay away from the purchase.

Anyways fast forward to a week later once I received them in the mail, my GF went down to our local tire mounting facility (American Tires...Don't judge me) to have TPMS installed and have them mounted to the vehicle. They called her into the facility floor and pointed out a CRACK in the rim. They could not mount them to the vehicle. But the TPMS and everything had already been purchased. (My bad on that, I should have inspected the rims myself but i took EricRuiz911's word for it.) The crack in the rim was in a spot that you could not miss it, completely visible to the naked eye. I immediately called him to talk about this. I could not get ahold of him for over an hour. He finally called me back after I sent several texts and he said "there's no way a crack could be there bla blah" just typical bullshit trying to cover up his lie. He knew the crack was there, he was just hoping I wouldn't notice. Anyways, he asks for pictures. I send him pictures and then he ignores me for 4 days. I called him several times, and several text messages.

In the mean time, I went to a local tire repair shop, and got a $150 dollar quote to weld the crack in the rim. This was reasonable for my area, and was at a reputable shop. He finally responded back to me after 4 days of text messages, saying to "send the rims back" but at my cost. I got a quote for the cost of shipping and it was well over $250 dollars to ship back, plus the material I already bought would of put me at a close to 700 dollars loss. I asked him to cover the cost of the repair ( In my mind this is a reasonable thing, he sold me a busted item and said it wasn't busted when i bought it.)

He said "return the item at your own dime". I opened a paypal claim for the cost of repair and for some reason this transaction was not covered in their insurance policy or what ever their customer protection is called. Also he tried saying "I never said there weren't any cracks", then I showed him a screen shot of him telling me no cracks then he refers to "Only on that rim".

I think he should of done the right thing and refunded me the cost to repair the rim, instead of have me send them back and cost me a butt load of money. This was his mistake (if you can even call it that, he completely lied about the crack and the condition). Anyways, I took it as a loss and paid to have them repaired.

Also, here are pictures of our texts, his ad and the crack in the rim. Anyways, feel free to chime in if you think i'm wrong, he is wrong or you have any other questions.

08-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

How can people live with themselves to make a quick buck like that. If you own a Bimmer why is there a need to do this.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex25 View Post
How can people live with themselves to make a quick buck like that. If you own a Bimmer why is there a need to do this.
I know right? Hopefully Karma gets him.
      08-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Conti.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Azurite F80 M3

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
damn that sucks man..you should have been able to call up paypal and fight that. the whole ordeal should have been worked out with proof like that, some BS
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conti. View Post
damn that sucks man..you should have been able to call up paypal and fight that. the whole ordeal should have been worked out with proof like that, some BS
I showed them everything. But some how the transaction fell into some category they don't cover. Also money was not gifted.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
MUFASA1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Mineral White Metall

OP y do u have multiple threads on this. Anyway this guys is a douche I know he's reading this thread c*** suc***
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFASA1 View Post
OP y do u have multiple threads on this. Anyway this guys is a douche I know he's reading this thread c*** suc***
I wasn't paying attention when posting and posted to California when I meant general forum. Then decided to leave this here. He has items for sale and I'm using this as an attempt to warn other forum members.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
verdik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RubyRed MII

Same here. Bought a wheels, declared as newly powdered coated (gloss black), no curb rash, bent, etc. Meet up, inspected didn't find anything wrong. Put new tires into it, run it for about 5 months. Get tired of rubbing issues, since rear offset is aggressive. Sold it. Knowing that everything is good. New owner powder coated it to Candy red. Whoala! Welding seams from crack repair on 1-wheel become evident (even my tire installer didn't saw this). Though its functional (luckily), still the previous repair didn't declared it to me. And wouldn't bought it if declared as well.
Props to my buyer, he didn't take this against me.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
revelocity_paulo
Revelocity Web Director
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M-Paket

This is just messed up. But you know what, now that you have fixed everything, I am jealous of that wheel. I really want to get LC818. Let him be bro and just enjoy your wheels.

Alpine White E90 M Sport | M Performance Exhaust | ST Coilovers | CF Splitters & Lip | CF Spoiler | CF Diffuser | CF Side Mirrors | Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof | Orion V4 | Linea Corse LC818 | IG: @revelocity_paulo | Website: www.revelocityevents.com
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

Wow man that blows. I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with scum like him on craigslist and the e90post classifieds. I do always try to get local deals so I can personally inspect the item before purchase. Sorry for your loss at least the damages weren't beyond repair.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
Eddy72
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
That sucks big time, but what goes around comes around. I have been lucky to find cool people in this website.

Don't do to others what you wouldn't want them doing to you!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMMR FAN View Post
This is just messed up. But you know what, now that you have fixed everything, I am jealous of that wheel. I really want to get LC818. Let him be bro and just enjoy your wheels.
Thanks man they do look clean on her red e90
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
ethanjoon
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6MT, E90 330i 6MT

Really low of him to try turning the situation on you to threaten you with legal action..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

that's why i don't like buying used rim online. only buy used rim in person or used tires in person. So you can SEE if there are any issues.

For anything else, electronics, etc. it's okay.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i; BMW 435i; Ducati

I'm just offering my 2 cents, since the OP asked.

I feel for the OP, but being neutral in both parties, there's really no proof or evidence that the crack was there before receiving the item. Seller claimed that there was "no crack" on any of the rims. He also posted up pictures that the buyer saw to lead the buyer to purchase the item.

If you didn't, I would ask next time to send me more closeup pictures of the damages on the item. Especially when you live far away.

Now, if the seller was sending you pics, but you had proof that he was lying about it, then he would be culpable for a fraudulent sell.

Nevertheless, I do agree with the OP that the buyer should have at least paid for the damage. $1200 minus $150 for the repair isn't a detrimental loss. I think it's rationally best to actually cover the cost of the repair, rather than going through the process of waiting for the rims back. Then, refunding the buyer. And having to fix the damage as well as re-posting it for sale.

Additionally, posting up opinions rather than factual evidence about someone and using their full name (screen name) is a cause of action for defamation.

At least the damage was noticed before your lady got in the car and something far worse could have happened.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Or American Tire could have damaged the rim, especially since they're low profile tires; then tried to play it off like your GF brought the rims to them like that. I've recently experienced Pep Boys cracking a rim on my set of LM Reps. Blame can't really be put on the seller since you said yourself that you didn't inspect the rims upon receipt of them before giving them to a 3rd party.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-BlackWidow View Post
Or American Tire could have damaged the rim, especially since they're low profile tires; then tried to play it off like your GF brought the rims to them like that. I've recently experienced Pep Boys cracking a rim on my set of LM Reps. Blame can't really be put on the seller since you said yourself that you didn't inspect the rims upon receipt of them before giving them to a 3rd party.
The crack was shown before tires were mounted or anything was done to the rim. The crack was found when she/they took them out of the car. Also her friend who works there was going to do the install he wouldn't lie about that if he happened to crack it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #18
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arexniba View Post
I'm just offering my 2 cents, since the OP asked.

I feel for the OP, but being neutral in both parties, there's really no proof or evidence that the crack was there before receiving the item. Seller claimed that there was "no crack" on any of the rims. He also posted up pictures that the buyer saw to lead the buyer to purchase the item.

If you didn't, I would ask next time to send me more closeup pictures of the damages on the item. Especially when you live far away.

Now, if the seller was sending you pics, but you had proof that he was lying about it, then he would be culpable for a fraudulent sell.

Nevertheless, I do agree with the OP that the buyer should have at least paid for the damage. $1200 minus $150 for the repair isn't a detrimental loss. I think it's rationally best to actually cover the cost of the repair, rather than going through the process of waiting for the rims back. Then, refunding the buyer. And having to fix the damage as well as re-posting it for sale.

Additionally, posting up opinions rather than factual evidence about someone and using their full name (screen name) is a cause of action for defamation.

At least the damage was noticed before your lady got in the car and something far worse could have happened.
I get what you are saying, but I'm for certain he was trying to scam me. He screened my calls and ignored my texts for days. Only way he'd respond to me was filing for fraud.

Also thank you for your input!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Never buy something sending money as a "gift" with Paypal. Most likely thats the reason u are not covered under their buyer protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
NA55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

First of all, when making a purchase online, it is the buyers responsibility to inspect and immediately contact the seller if there are any issues regarding the items sold.

Since the wheels were purchased with tires already mounted, how do we know that the buyer didn't install the wheels and knowingly or unknowingly damaged the wheels?

I've sold and bought online and have always made sure to protect myself by providing a lot of pictures and making sure the everyone knows exactly what they are purchasing.

Like many have mentioned, the cost of repair doesn't seem too bad. Maybe you two can split the cost?

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #21
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

I think in matters of wheels you should always keep it local.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:38 AM   #22
Efini
Silent Service
Rep
Drives: BMW

that fcked up. sorry about it, we need less people like that on this forum
Appreciate 0