BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

New tyres- Brisbane

Hey guys and gals,

Just looking to buy some new steers, can anyone suggest a reputable (and cheap if possible) tyre shop?

I am located in West Bris, so somewhere near by would also be great.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Option 1: order from tirerack and take to any tyre shop
Option 2: order from the other online tyre shop in sydney and take to any tyre shop
Option 3: costco have michelin and bridgestone heaps cheap, lifetime puncture repairs for free and lifetime warranty - looks like an ok deal
Option 4: Jax @ Yerongpilly or Slacks Creek have been recommended by most club members
Option 5: avoid option 1 garage - terrible terrible alignment on our 130
Option 6: it's hit or miss in brisbane really
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
duongma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 135i

Sometimes you can strike it lucky on gumtree with people selling decent new tyres so it might pay to check too if you can be bothered haha!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Cheers guys. Just got my Tax money. So I'll take a look around.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

I found the right size and brand/model tyres searching on Ebay from Taleb Tyres in NSW. The Ebay prices were already cheap but I called them up to confirm stock and told them I already seen the Ebay price. The guy then volunteered to sell it at the ebay price with free shipping if I just placed the order over the phone, because they would save on Ebay fees! Placed the order on Thursday, got it on Monday! He also suggested I get the tyres mounted at an independent store, not the big chains, cause they hate people buying cheap tyres on the internet and will charge a lot to fit them. Ask for Max.

For reference, I bought Nitto NT05s in 245/35R19 and 275/35R19 for a smidge over $1000 shipped... I called a couple of Brisbane based shops and they wanted at least $1600 for the same thing.

St George Tyres also in NSW were even cheaper by $100 but did not have stock. I don't know if they would have thrown in shipping either, probably would have had to pay for that, so it would have been a wash.

Last edited by acediac; 08-20-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by acediac View Post
I found the right size and brand/model tyres searching on Ebay from Taleb Tyres in NSW. The Ebay prices were already cheap but I called them up to confirm stock and told them I already seen the Ebay price. The guy then volunteered to sell it at the ebay price with free shipping if I just placed the order over the phone, because they would save on Ebay fees! Placed the order on Thursday, got it on Monday! He also suggested I get the tyres mounted at an independent store, not the big chains, cause they hate people buying cheap tyres on the internet and will charge a lot to fit them. Ask for Max.

For reference, I bought Nitto NT05s in 245/35R19 and 275/35R19 for a smidge over $1000 shipped... I called a couple of Brisbane based shops and they wanted at least $1600 for the same thing.

St George Tyres also in NSW were even cheaper by $100 but did not have stock. I don't know if they would have thrown in shipping either, probably would have had to pay for that, so it would have been a wash.
What do you think of the NT05's, I was just about to buy a set myself
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
What do you think of the NT05's, I was just about to buy a set myself
Haha actually they are just sitting unmounted in the garage at the moment. I just bought a car with tread right at the wear bars, and the sizes are so hard to find that I figured I would buy a set while they are in stock. Meantime I can learn the car without worrying about babying the tyres for another month of two before I change them!

They seem really sticky just handling them. I thought they were rated UTQG 140 but it says 200 on mine. However I have read that it doesn't mean much, manufacturers will just change that number to suit their purposes. I don't expect them to last more than 15k kms. I have read better things about the Hankook RS-3's, but couldn't find the front size for them unless I wanted to get them from TireRack and they were also a bit more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

NT05 are great in the dry but not so good in the wet so be warned, nitto invo would have been the much better choice and are virtually the same in the dry as the nt05's but the invo's are far better in the rain.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:29 AM   #9
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
NT05 are great in the dry but not so good in the wet so be warned, nitto invo would have been the much better choice and are virtually the same in the dry as the nt05's but the invo's are far better in the rain.
Yeah, they hardly have any tread pattern to them, only two big water channels in the middle. It's ok, I will seldom drive this car in the wet and when I do I'm always careful. Someone also told me they are noisy and have stiff sidewalls/ride, but that's not much of a concern to me.

I had heard the RS-3s and NT05s don't get chewed up when on the track though, and that'll be great if I take it to a couple of drive days.

Looking at them now, even brand new they are hardly much more than 3 mm to the wear bar! No wonder they don't last long, they are like pre-shaved race tyres... Ah well, they were relatively cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #10
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

That's why its always good to have two sets of tyres, one for street and one for those track days.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
Hmm really...

I would have thought the NT05's would be far superior to the invo's in every aspect except wet weather performance and NVH. I had intended to have the NT05's on my 2nd set of rims for my out of town trips (had read reviews that they're extremely quite and comfortable) mountain rd runs etc on some 17" rims instead of the 19's with stiffer sidewalls

Since I do bugger all driving I'm not worried about wear, and i dont drive in the rain (unless I was to get caught out in the rain on a lengthy drive such as an interstate run)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Invos are extremely quiet and comfy nt05's are a little nosier but nothing like toyo r888 for comparison of noise.

nt05's are better then invo's but not by much on the road, had them both.

On the track you my see a few extra kilometres on the corners and the tyres will last a fair bit longer before overheating but that's on the track.

On the street you wont get all you can get out of the tyre because you can't push the NT05's to the their limit without possibility destroying your licence.

Like I said in my previous post on the street they are not much better but they are still better in the dry but not by much.

I have nittos on all my cars that's how much i love them, bang for buck nothing comes close in my books.
Appreciate 0