E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Extended Warranty puzzle

08-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
myboris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Extended Warranty puzzle

I have a suspected HPFP issue, occasional long crank.
I have a extended warranty with £250 excess. If I take it in and they claim to find nothing, will I have to pay for the diagnostic? Also do they provide a courtesy car.
If I take it to an Indy do I have to pay all the money then claim it back if the pump needs changing.
Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Excess means you pay the first £250 of cost. Diagnostic will be about £70, so i'd imagine you'd just get charged that.

If there is work involved, you'd still have £180 of excess to pay, but beyond that you'd not pay anything.

Why would you take it to an independant garage when you're paying a warranty for BMW to do it for you? I think the point is BMW do all the work - I don't think you can take it somewhere else and then claim it back. Aside from anything else, if the problem reocccurs, you just go straight back to BMW.
      08-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
myboris
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw
Excess means you pay the first 250 of cost. Diagnostic will be about 70, so i'd imagine you'd just get charged that.

If there is work involved, you'd still have 180 of excess to pay, but beyond that you'd not pay anything.

Why would you take it to an independant garage when you're paying a warranty for BMW to do it for you? I think the point is BMW do all the work - I don't think you can take it somewhere else and then claim it back. Aside from anything else, if the problem reocccurs, you just go straight back to BMW.
I understand the excess , just wasn't sure what a diagnostic would cost. I've read some people trust indy's more than the dealers.
I thought you could use an Indy but you had to pay and claim it back of Mondial
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Yes, they do, but when you're paying for a BMW extended warranty, just let them crack on with it.

If I still had my 330 I'd (a) not have a warranty and (b) would be using and independent to do anything I couldn't manage.

Read the warranty terms and conditions, I'd imagine it explains this kind of thing in there.
      08-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
col2611
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Your not having much luck with your wheel and now this.
Hope you get it sorted.

I think even if you took it to an Indy first for diagnostics then you would still have to pay £250 excess. So you might aswell get BMW to diagnose it.
Give the dealer a call, they should tell you what you will be charged
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
myboris
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by col2611
Your not having much luck with your wheel and now this.
Hope you get it sorted.

I think even if you took it to an Indy first for diagnostics then you would still have to pay 250 excess. So you might aswell get BMW to diagnose it.
Give the dealer a call, they should tell you what you will be charged
Tell me about Col. Didn't have ounce of trouble with my 320d.
But then it didn't excite me half as much as the 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I'm sure all warranty work through Mondial has to be performed at a dealer.
I would love to be proven wrong though.

WM
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
myboris
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm getting one long crank about every 4 or 5 starts. How soon do I need to get it in?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

£250 excess!!! From memory I only paid £300-330ish all in to have my HPFP replaced, after sourcing the part my self from bmwmini parts.

Despite all the issues I've had with my car am really glad I don't have a BMW warranty, and can take my car to my trusted local garage rather than handing it over to some 'junior' tech at my local BMW dealer.

Good luck getting things sorted!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
£250 excess!!! From memory I only paid £300-330ish all in to have my HPFP replaced, after sourcing the part my self from bmwmini parts.

Despite all the issues I've had with my car am really glad I don't have a BMW warranty, and can take my car to my trusted local garage rather than handing it over to some 'junior' tech at my local BMW dealer.

Good luck getting things sorted!!

Believe what you want about dealers and warranty but if you're engine went bang and you're looking at 10k repairs you would appreciate a warranty then.I work at a dealer and I guarantee I'm trained to a higher level than you can achieve ouwith the dealer network.And am certainly no 'junior'.
Plus I will guarantee you 'Indy' garages will have apprentices working on many a prestige car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboris View Post
I have a suspected HPFP issue, occasional long crank.
I have a extended warranty with £250 excess. If I take it in and they claim to find nothing, will I have to pay for the diagnostic? Also do they provide a courtesy car.
If I take it to an Indy do I have to pay all the money then claim it back if the pump needs changing.
Cheers guys
Boris,you will be liable for investigation charges if no issue is found.The dealer often shorten diag time if this is the case.Youre issue sounds like a fuel pump though.And as we all know 335i and fuel pumps go hand in hand.Its not an expensive repair however.The pump only costs £180 and it's a fairly easy DIY job.

Last edited by KM79; 08-15-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I've already had £6-7k worth of mods installed by my local garage, and in the next 12 months likely to spend another few Ks on hybrid turbos.

I have no doubt some of the techs working at BMW are great, but having to deal with the receptionist/service advisors I just cannot stand. When I first got the car I enquired about getting the BMW power pack fitted so that I could continue with my BMW warranty.....But despite been happy to nearly spent £2-3k on a 30bhp official BMW remap+extra radiator, and me showing my local garage all the part numbers, two different service advisors on two different occasions told me I was wrong, and that BMW have never offers any power pack for the 335.

At a later stage I enquired about getting the Alpine speaker kit fitted; and again was basically fobbed off because none of the service advisors had ever heard of it, and were apparently too lazy to look it up!!!

So after experiences like that do you really blame me for not wanting my car going any where near my local BMW dealer?? Just look at the service one of the independents provide to forum members here, can you ever imagine a BMW dealer going out of their way to explain the reason for doing various work on the car, including taking photos??

I simply rather to spend my hard earned cash keeping my local garage in business (and they deliver top quality work), rather than paying £130/hr at my local BMW main dealer to keep the sales/reception team in their massive show rooms and 'free' coffee.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Advisers are a bottleneck to us doing our job.They generally know nothing about cars and try to mask that by fobbing people off with 'technical' bollocks they've just picked up from techs.People on forums are usually after very specific/ unusual things done to their cars and a extremely picky.If you came in asking me about a power kit I would know exactly what you where talking about that's because I'm technical and an advisor is not.Theyre there to deal with the 99% of customers who just want normal jobs done.
You're right about Steve on here though ,he does go the extra mile for forum members taking pics etc.At the same time unknown to some members on here I've actually worked on there cars at my work as I have noted posts that time in with their cars being in my workshop but if I started taking photos of there cars I would undoubtedly be in trouble and potentially sacked.

They're are many people like myself who do actually appreciate the brand they work with and drive these cars ourself which work in dealers but of course they're are bad techs that spoil the work the good ones do.Not all dealers are the same.

Last edited by KM79; 08-14-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0