ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

08-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

IND | E-brake, E-brake Handle, and Shift Boot DIY

We're crazy about the details here at IND, and are excited to make one of our classic creations available for the new F80 M3 and F82/F83 M4.

Utilizing a genuine BMW core, our upholstery team has been able to replicate the tri-color stitching originally found on earlier M models.

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...tch-shift-boot

Email: info@ind-distribution.com
Phone: 866-963-4520 (Local 847-963-4520)

Tools required:
• Nylon Prybar
• craft scissors, or any hobby knife capable of cutting a zip-tie

IND Tri-color E-brake Boot Installation

Step 1:
The Factory E-brake and Shift boot are held in place by several plastic tabs located on the base of the boots. The first step in removing the boot is to apply light pressure to the outside edge on the base while simultaneously pulling the boot out of the console.

Step 2:
Now that the boot is removed, slowly flip the boot inside out. The e-brake boot is secured to the handle via a plastic zip tie. At this point take your hobby knife or scissors and snip the zip tie. This will free the boot for removal.

Step 3:
Remove the boot by pulling it over the e-brake handle.

///M Power Competition E-brake handle OPTIONAL:
  • Step 3b - Using the nylon prybar, apply pressure to the base of the factory e-brake handle and move forward past the first mounting tab.
  • Step 3c - This will take a little elbow grease, but grasp the handle and pull forward. Be careful
  • Step 3d - Install the and zip tie the handle to the existing or new e-brake boot prior to installation.
  • Step 3e - Install back onto e-brake lever.

Step 4:
For installation, we prefer to flip the new e-brake boot inside out and secure the boot to the e-brake handle with the provided zip tie. From this point squeeze the base ring on the e-brake boot and install into the console.

IND Tri-color Shift Boot Installation

Step 1:
Apply light pressure to the outside of the trim ring while simultaneously pulling the boot up.
Step 2:
Disconnect the PnP connector before removal.
Step 3:
As with generations past, the F8X M3/M4 shift knob is a pressure fit piece. For removal grasp the knob and use some old fashion elbow grease. Please exercise caution while removing the shift knob! We would be lying if we said a person has never hit themselves in the head while pulling the knob.
      08-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
Step 3:
As with generations past, the F8X M3/M4 shift knob is a pressure fit piece. For removal grasp the knob and use some old fashion elbow grease. Please exercise caution while removing the shift knob! We would be lying if we said a person has never hit themselves in the head while pulling the knob.
Heh. I'm sure there is some razzing going on in the IND shop about that one.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

You guys made it look so easy to take off the shift knob! Mine took some series force and was a b*** and a half to get off lol. On the plus side I didn't hit myself!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Did any of your with the m perf ebrake handle/boot have an issue where the handle wouldnt go on as far down as the oem handle? I feel mine is like 3-4mm higher where the button is still out of the handle but not as far....I tried out both handles and the stock one kinda clicks in after the initial push....the mperf doesnt do that
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Andrew, do you know if the MT ring base of the F32 is the same as the M4?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
Did any of your with the m perf ebrake handle/boot have an issue where the handle wouldnt go on as far down as the oem handle? I feel mine is like 3-4mm higher where the button is still out of the handle but not as far....I tried out both handles and the stock one kinda clicks in after the initial push....the mperf doesnt do that
Just installed mine and having same problem. How did you resolve it??
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

I'd like to see a video of the ebrake handle/knob being removed. Do you just pull it off?
Appreciate 0