EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Amati
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC

Are M3 Dinan products covered by the BMW factory warranty.

While at my dealer's placing my order for my M3 - week 36 built date- I asked the above question and I was referred to their service manager who reported several cases where the BMW factory had refused to cover engine repairs on cars that had Dinan engine modifications.

Has anybody here received a positive resolution of an engine warranty claim on a car with Dinan engine mods? If so what path was followed to obtain a favorable decision? It'd be good to know going forward and use the case resolution tracking number for reference.

Thanks all and sorry if I'm rehashing ancient history but in 2 calls to Dinan I didn't receive a clear answer other than "the OEM can not refuse coverage for damage not clearly emanating from an aftermarket modification". Huh?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

no BMW factory warranty would be replaced by a Dinan warranty
      08-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post

Thanks all and sorry if I'm rehashing ancient history but in 2 calls to Dinan I didn't receive a clear answer other than "the OEM can not refuse coverage for damage not clearly emanating from an aftermarket modification". Huh?
see the answer to your main question below. dinan covers it themselves.

but, that is a bunch of crap. the dealer WILL void your warranty with cause or without, and there is nothing you can really do about it unless you want to take them to court. its happened to me, they will void your warranty for anything they can, and its getting worse and worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Amati
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
... the dealer WILL void your warranty with cause or without, and there is nothing you can really do about it unless you want to take them to court. its happened to me, they will void your warranty for anything they can, and its getting worse and worse.

Clear, thanks! I don't mind limiting myself to whatever comes from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BMW only covers BMW OEM. Dinan is covered by Dinan warranty.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
BMW only covers BMW OEM. Dinan is covered by Dinan warranty.
Correct. And may I add, if you have Dinan parts on the car, for example a cold air intake or exhaust and your OEM bmw radiator blows, BMW service will still cover the part under the BMW warranty. So in essence you have two warranties in parallel. This has been my experience with my last BMW that had a complete Dinan S3 pkg, I was never denied any coverage during the 4yr/50k.
      08-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Amati
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Correct. And may I add, if you have Dinan parts on the car, for example a cold air intake or exhaust and your OEM bmw radiator blows, BMW service will still cover the part under the BMW warranty. So in essence you have two warranties in parallel. This has been my experience with my last BMW that had a complete Dinan S3 pkg, I was never denied any coverage during the 4yr/50k.
Experiences vary. The single local BMW dealer is also the single local MINI dealer, adjoining facilities. A 2012 Cooper S of an associate started leaking at the oil sump gasket and warranty repairs were refused due to a software flash by a third party vendor. It became a finger pointing contest and ended with mutual middle digit greetings.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Unless the aftermarket part is proven to have caused the issue, the factory warranty is still in effect.

In practice, however, lots of dealers (not limited to BMW) will refuse warranty if you have aftermarket parts, depending on the part. Then, you have to take them to court, and generally, dealers, and auto manufacturers have more lawyers than you do.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Unless the aftermarket part is proven to have caused the issue, the factory warranty is still in effect.

In practice, however, lots of dealers (not limited to BMW) will refuse warranty if you have aftermarket parts, depending on the part. Then, you have to take them to court, and generally, dealers, and auto manufacturers have more lawyers than you do.
Which they will barely use except to file delay motions during which you can't drive your car ... and can last 2 years or more.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #11
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I'm not too overly concerned about that Dinan license plate frame breaking anything on my car. But if it did, like the others have said - if a Dinan part causes a normal warranty claim they will cover it.

"If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, Dinan® products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty."

"The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. "

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2008 Lotus Exige S240 - too many mods to list (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
2006 MINI Cooper S (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Chances are if the authorized dinan dealer is in a bmw service center, you'll be fine getting things fixed if they break. If you go to an off hand dinan installer authorized or not then its a crap shoot what your service department will say.

I do wonder if you blew something up major how good those dinan/bmw relationships are even if they're in your dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
Amati
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Which they will barely use except to file delay motions during which you can't drive your car ... and can last 2 years or more.
Exactly! And during which time one has to pay their attorney who charges for a full hour at $300 every time they pick up the phone for a 2 minute conversation.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Chances are if the authorized dinan dealer is in a bmw service center, you'll be fine getting things fixed if they break. If you go to an off hand dinan installer authorized or not then its a crap shoot what your service department will say.

I do wonder if you blew something up major how good those dinan/bmw relationships are even if they're in your dealership.
Agreed.

Btw a guy over on Bimmerfest, BuraQ, had a Dinan S3 on his 335i and had catastrophic damage. BMW and Dinan got together, and Dinan bought him a new car. He moved up to 335is as a result. He has since moved on to a Cobb protune fwiw. As always YMMV, so do your homework and select a dealership that has a good relationship with Dinan, as stated about, if you can.
      08-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed.

Btw a guy over on Bimmerfest, BuraQ, had a Dinan S3 on his 335i and had catastrophic damage. BMW and Dinan got together, and Dinan bought him a new car.
Without knowing anything else about the case, that strikes me as damn good customer service.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Without knowing anything else about the case, that strikes me as damn good customer service.
Just to be clear, he was paid out for his car and he purchased the 335is, is my understanding. He might catch wind of this post and reply but he primarily hangs over on Bimmerfest or e90post. Runs in Fl.

Yes, he was very happy with the results.
      08-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #17
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz

This. Best to use an authorized BMW dealer to install Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #18
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:

Hilarious how you say "generally" dealers and auto manufacturers have more lawyers than the car buyers do...

If someone who bought an M3 had more lawyers than BMW - that would impress the hell out of me!! (and if that were the case - you should have a LaFerrari, not an M3/M4)! LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #19
jumpmanj12
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is LCI/ 2007 335i

Garage List
2011 bmw 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed.

Btw a guy over on Bimmerfest, BuraQ, had a Dinan S3 on his 335i and had catastrophic damage. BMW and Dinan got together, and Dinan bought him a new car. He moved up to 335is as a result. He has since moved on to a Cobb protune fwiw. As always YMMV, so do your homework and select a dealership that has a good relationship with Dinan, as stated about, if you can.
I had the stage 2 on my 2011 335is and it made the car slower also started having higher idle and fueling issues at about 61,000 miles so I had it set back to stock at the dealership they replaced the low pressure fuel sensor also and at 112,000 miles the car never miss fired or anything no signs of hpfp failures. The car stalled while moving no controls and I had a rod bearing failure low battery and shifter needed to be replaced that's all was diagnosed at the dealership it went to nobody looked further into why it failed software issue maybe.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #20
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good thing you responded to a 3.5 year old thread...