GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-28-2014, 05:30 AM   #1
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere in the forum:

How are people mounting their GoPros inside the car to allow views of both driver and road ahead? I was going to get a headrest mount but with new integrated headrests that's out. Side windows also won't work as they need to be open (I want to use this for HPDE track sessions). Moonroof mount also out because no moonroof !

Any advice and suggestions much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
sherm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW M4

Isn't there a windshield mount?
///M4 | Alpine White | Sakhir Orange Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim & Roof | DCT | Black 19" Wheels | Executive Package | Driver Assistance Plus Package | Adaptive M Suspension | Enhanced USB | Parking Assist | Harman Kardon
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I mounted it on the dome light with an extension bar. Haven't had a chance to look at the videos so not sure how it looks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3 View Post
I mounted it on the dome light with an extension bar. Haven't had a chance to look at the videos so not sure how it looks.
Thanks - interested to know how that turns out. Could you send a photo of the setup?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I ripped off an angle I saw in an old Chris Harris video that I liked. Basically stuck on the rear quarter window (this was on an E92 coupe), with enough extensions to put the camera 'inside' the window opening. Since the GoPro has such a wide field of view, you see the driver driving, but also see the road from inside and outside the car with the A-pillar down the middle.

Not sure if this would work at all with a sedan though, due to the fact that you would need way more extensions, and the coupe's frameless doors let you get in and out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
xTaitox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 SO

the new windshield mount is perfect
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #7
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
I ripped off an angle I saw in an old Chris Harris video that I liked. Basically stuck on the rear quarter window (this was on an E92 coupe), with enough extensions to put the camera 'inside' the window opening. Since the GoPro has such a wide field of view, you see the driver driving, but also see the road from inside and outside the car with the A-pillar down the middle.

Not sure if this would work at all with a sedan though, due to the fact that you would need way more extensions, and the coupe's frameless doors let you get in and out of the car.
Do you have a photo of this setup that you could share?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I stuck my camera mount to the back of the seat on the smooth part near the headrest. I was worried about it staying put but it held securely for two sessions before I moved it to the passenger seat back where it held the rest of the day.

Also if you don't mind it on your helmet, I saw some Mike Skeen videos where he mounts the GoPro to the chin bar of his helmet. Looks really good and gives a, "from the eyes of the driver" perspective.
Attached Images

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2008 Lotus Exige S240 - too many mods to list (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
2006 MINI Cooper S (sold)

Last edited by tcpsoft; 09-02-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpsoft View Post
I stuck my camera mount to the back of the seat on the smooth part near the headrest. I was worried about it staying put but it held securely for two sessions before I moved it to the passenger seat back where it held the rest of the day.
Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Also if you don't mind it on your helmet, I saw some Mike Skeen videos where he mounts the GoPro to the chin bar of his helmet. Looks really good and gives a, "from the eyes of the driver" perspective.
Very nice ! Good to see that the suction mount works on the back of the seat. That effectively solves the problem I believe. Is the back of the seat plastic (I haven't received my car yet)?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis1973 View Post
Very nice ! Good to see that the suction mount works on the back of the seat. That effectively solves the problem I believe. Is the back of the seat plastic (I haven't received my car yet)?
Thanks! I tried near the rear window but that was too far back. There are two different textures of plastic on the seat backs. The one that makes up the headrest is smoother and can accept a big suction cup mount. I tried on the other surface and couldn't get a good seal.

Interior cameras are definitely valuable - I discovered I like to help the car turn by leaning my head with the car not a good habit.

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
Nice work!
Thanks! The perspective from behind the drivers seat is definitely better than from the passenger side.

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Interior cameras are definitely valuable - I discovered I like to help the car turn by leaning my head with the car not a good habit.
Agreed, good to watch yourself. I discovered I was reaching too much with the steering wheel. Tilted my race seat forward a tad and my lap times started to improve again.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Bump... any new/innovative solutions out there? I dont like the idea of it being on the windsheild and my knock off go pro doesn't allow for inverting the video to hang it upside down from the sunroof... plus I want to be able to use the sunroof.

The suction cup on the seat isn't a horrible idea though.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #15
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Bump... any new/innovative solutions out there? I dont like the idea of it being on the windsheild and my knock off go pro doesn't allow for inverting the video to hang it upside down from the sunroof... plus I want to be able to use the sunroof.

The suction cup on the seat isn't a horrible idea though.
will the suction mount work on the rear window?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #16
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Here is the setup I decided on. I'm going to use my Canon Powershot G7X Mark II (1080 recording and great point and shoot for the trip)

With it I got a gimbal for excellent stabilization when recording.

So its this that I wanted to mount in the car.

I wanted a bar that would connect to both seats so that its really strong given the setup isn't exactly super light.

This is the idea.

Its apparently 31" (Thanks JSM2)

Well the setup is ordered. Two super strong suction cups, a few extensions to make the 31" total length, and the rod/2grip setup for the gimbal. The bar should be able to support the normal gopro mount as well.

Can't wait to try it out!

If anyone else has any interest in the setup check it out:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #17
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvietness View Post
will the suction mount work on the rear window?
Yes the rear window is probably the easiest way to do this, I just dont like the idea of it being exposed to that much heat. Car wont be tinted yet when I pick it up in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #18
tchiers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
I wanted a bar that would connect to both seats so that its really strong given the setup isn't exactly super light.
I did something similar with Ram mount hardware: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=10

It works reasonably well for me without image stabilization, so I image it'll be great with your stabilized setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #19
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiers View Post
I did something similar with Ram mount hardware: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=10

It works reasonably well for me without image stabilization, so I image it'll be great with your stabilized setup.
Yea I've already got the camera and the gimbal. I didn't mind buying the two handle gimbal holder for future use anyway... so my big investment were the two hard core suction cups and the hardware/extensions needed for length. Not as cost effective as your setup. but it works.

you got any pics of it installed on your car? Would love to see it in action.

Also did you have any trouble with getting the suction cups you chose to stay/hold the weight?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
tchiers
Private First Class
Rep

No pictures of the bar itself, but I did post some of the resulting video:

The curvature of the seat works against the suction cups. Mine would not stay in place all day, so I just remounted every morning and lunchtime. Be sure to wipe the seatback with a damp cloth for best grip, too.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      08-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #21
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiers View Post
No pictures of the bar itself, but I did post some of the resulting video:

The curvature of the seat works against the suction cups. Mine would not stay in place all day, so I just remounted every morning and lunchtime. Be sure to wipe the seatback with a damp cloth for best grip, too.
I was afraid of this.

The camera setup/gimbal I plan on using isn't 'go pro grade' and isn't something I want falling and hitting the floor of the car. I was hoping that the suction cups would do well on the seats but if not, I'm not sure this is such a good idea anymore.

What about sticking a piece of vinyl on the seat? (Stuff that people use to wrap dash pieces)... think that would help make the surface a little more suction cup friendly? It'd also peel off without hurting the seat back.

I wish I had the car already to test this but I won't know if it'll work till I'm sitting at the Welt with my setup in hand trying to install it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #22
tchiers
Private First Class
Rep

The problem is the shape of the seats, not the surface material. The convex nature of the seatback reduces the volume delta of the suction cup, and therefore also reduces clamping force.

At the track, we're required to tether equipment in the interior - I used paracord just like you see for my Aim Solo. I would suggest you do the same. If you tether each end of your bar to the respective front seat headrest, that will prevent you camera from hitting the floor if the suction cups let go.
Appreciate 0