THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Major problems with bluetooth phone connectivity

09-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Major problems with bluetooth phone connectivity

I need help.....

Not sure what is wrong but the connectivity of my iphone 5S with the 235 is total crap. It worked flawlessly in my 128. When my wife calls in all she hears is static....when i call her most of the time she does not hear me on my end. When I call establishments the connection is broken and garbled. If I program her 5S in place of ming it performs the same way but they work great in her C250. Any tips, ideas or direction?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
I need help.....

Not sure what is wrong but the connectivity of my iphone 5S with the 235 is total crap. It worked flawlessly in my 128. When my wife calls in all she hears is static....when i call her most of the time she does not hear me on my end. When I call establishments the connection is broken and garbled. If I program her 5S in place of ming it performs the same way but they work great in her C250. Any tips, ideas or direction?
You sure it is the bluetooth? It sounds like you were able to pair it with out issue and it recognizes the phone. Perhaps there is another issue? There was another post here a few weeks ago with a similar issue and I believe he might have had a problem with the microphone. A quick search may yield his resolution. If I recall correctly he was able to solve the problem. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
You sure it is the bluetooth? It sounds like you were able to pair it with out issue and it recognizes the phone. Perhaps there is another issue? There was another post here a few weeks ago with a similar issue and I believe he might have had a problem with the microphone. A quick search may yield his resolution. If I recall correctly he was able to solve the problem. Good luck!
Oh it pairs perfectly...you just can't have a good clear conversation. I will do another search and see what comes up.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
Krisms
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i

there's a software update available at bmw.com/update. part of the update is improved bluetooth connectivity. have you tried that?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
I'm also in Charlotte, using a Iphone 5S , Provider ATT and BT conversations are crystal clear. Good idea to try the software update. I did it on mine, super easy to do

Last edited by tccox; 09-05-2014 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes I had seen that but it states it is an update for vehicles with production date from July 2012 to February 2014. My prod date was end of June so didn't think it applied to me. Maybe I should try it out. Will it reject the update if it is an older ver then what is installed?

The phone seems to connect and function fine everywhere but sound. It even streams music fine, it is just when I try to receive incoming hands free calls the caller is broken up and they tell me they hear a bunch of static and cannot hear and communication. I have tested it with incoming callers on their blue tooth and also just on their phone and all is the same. It worked good the first couple of days I had the car then went south

I have deleted the profile and reset the phone up and no change. I set my wife's phone up (same type as mine) and it reacts exactly the same way so it is either the car or compatibility with the iphone 5S on Verizon network
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
sundaydriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

I was just about to start a thread on this. People calling me are complaining that my voice is cutting in and out over the bluetooth. My car is after Feb 2014 and has not had the update. My phone is Samsung S2 HD. Definitely the bluetooth, as the microphone works perfectly with the office voice recorder. I will try the update this weekend, I was unaware that was an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Seems it is back to normal yesterday...left work and called the wife. We held a conversation all the way home just like it was when I picked up the car. I will hold off to make any changes to see if it acts up again or anybody else poste issues......
I have the update ready to go if needed
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
sundaydriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I resolved my cutting-out issue as well. It was caused by a 3rd party bluetooth manager app I used on my phone. Once I uninstalled the app on my phone the connection was fine. Also tried to update the bmw system software earlier, but the drive system would not accept the most recent update from bmw.com and said that it was incompatible. So anyone looking to update the drive software with a newer car (believe mine is May 2014), anything listed on bmw.com will not work right now until they release a new software version.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Here we go again.....

So I deleted my phone profile in the car then re-paired it and it seemed to work pretty good for two days then back to the previous problem. Incoming calls on my end are broken and garbled....on their end it is a bunch of loud static that is painful to the recipients ears.

So now I repeated the above process but this time I also deleted any BMW apps I loaded like BMW Connected and such to see if that is causing any issues....even though I never used them. I also have a 2 month old iphone ver 7.1.2 on Verizon and my car was built june/july 2014 so it has the most up to date software.

1st drive and all seems good again like before but already traveled down that path. keeping my fingers crossed

Not sure if I should take it in, dealer about 1 ½ hr away or if I should try to trouble shoot this over the phone with BMW USA....

My wife is starting to get pissed every time she gets the noise in the ear and we can’t carry a conversation while in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Are you sure you have the most up to date software? I would go download it to a USB stick and plug it in. If it installs maybe you'll have your fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Already did it...car says my version is the newest....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
sundaydriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

yeap, this is happening to me again after I thought I fixed it. I am going to try again with a different phone and try to get to the bottom of this. Really frustrating
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

It seems like people are having all sorts of prblems across the board (tech/non-tech). BMW really dropped the ball on this system considering thsi car is pushing 50k.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #15
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

So far it seems the be intermittent. I deleted the profile then re-uploaded the phone and it was still no good. The next day it worked fine. Day after screwed up again. So I unpaired and repaired, no good.... deleted phone then re-added, no good.... pulled over, shut car off then restart....no good. it seems to come and go. I am out of ideas
825 mi...I really do not want to take my car in and have the dealer rip into it already. I will call BMW CS on Monday to see what they suggest. Also I will not go to my local dealer so that means at least an hr drive
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
sundaydriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

OK. I determined what my particular issue is and is appears to be related to comparability for my specific phone. When the bluetooth pairs it only transmits audio through the car and the car's microphone does not connect to the phone. I figured this out by calling a friend, trying to talk to them with the phone in my pocket (no bueno), then trying to talk to them with holding the phone up to my head and it works. The headset microphone is still active while being connected to the car. A temporary fix is that I leave my phone in the center console with the microphone facing me so that callers can hear me through the phone's microphone (although if your car volume is loud, it will echo on the call). Now lets see if I can find a fix
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:17 AM   #17
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Mine is at the dealer trying to trouble shoot the com-box. They were able to duplicate the problem when I swung by to test with a Genius...then it has not done it since. So we will see.....
I got a POS 3 series grocery getter
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #18
Funky Cold Medina
Leader of The Free World
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT

phone problems

When I am trying to use the phone via bluetooth, no one can hear me. It seems like the microphone is not working. The dash screen says the microphone is on, but no one can hear me until I revert back to using the handset speaker. Otherwise, I don't have any difficulty hearing others through the car speaker. It is a real problem because it makes phone connectivity obsolete.

The microphone worked fine up until a few weeks ago.

Did you ever get your issue resolved?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #19
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Nope not resolved...works more that it does not......been good for awhile and every now and then it blips so am just living with it
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #20
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

I have had this same issue.

Here is the fix, you have to be on the latest NBT version on your iDrive. Then you can perform the UPD_5062 update.

To get this done, I went to y dealership, spoke very nicely with the shop foreman, and asked he update my firmware. Once they did this, and I re-paired my iphone everything works as advertised. At one point I couldn't even get audio to play from my phone over bluetooth, this fix helps greatly.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #21
Funky Cold Medina
Leader of The Free World
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT

After 5 days at the dealership, and a new communication module, the problem is fixed (for now anyways). Dealeship also threw in a new center cap to replace the one that fell out of the front wheel.
Appreciate 0