Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

09-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
BK9731
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Winter Tires?

Hello,

This would be my first post. Thanks for having me here.
I have just ordered an M3 which is scheduled to arrive sometime in Nov. I have ordered the 19 inch wheel and I plan to DD it.
Now, I live in NJ/NY are where winter isn't terrible but winter tires are still recommended (I def. would not drive with summer tires). My question is are people putting on winter tires on their stock 19s or getting a separate set of 18s for winter? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
volkl23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

I am in the same boat, but this might get more responses in the Wheel and Tire subforum.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
minus9
Grand Poobah
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just ordered a set of wheels and tires today.

If you want 18s for Winter, you pretty much need to get a set of BMW wheels that are known to clear the brakes (provided you do not have the CCBs). Most 18s won't clear them, so most manufacturers and sellers are not even listing them.

Decide whether you want to order the wheels/tires/TPMS as a package or buy things separately. You don't really want to swap tires on the rims over and over, as they risk damage to the bead every time they are removed.

You could get a set on some cheap steel wheels. That would be the cheapest option, but also heavy and be aesthetically displeasing for most. When I first did this for my E90, I got the lightest wheels I could at a decent price. I didn't want my acceleration and fuel economy to suffer.

Look at the wheels and tires forum. Lots of discussion there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Not sure where in NJ you are, I am in Northern NJ and I definitely plan on getting a set of winter tires. I also came from an S4 and after sliding around a few times my first winter, I got a set of winter tires for it as well. I haven't decided what kind yet to get for the M3. However, just for the convenience factor I may purchase them through my dealer (Morristown). They will probably be more expensive, but they offered to store the other tires during the off season (if I bought the tires from them), which would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Viking123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Hey, congrats! I'm in the ny area too and I plan on getting a separate setup for the winter. 18 inch and dedicated snow tires. The roads in the ny area are so bad in winter (potholes everywhere) that the higher profile tires will go a long way
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
stonecliff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT

Garage List
2016 Volvo XC90 R  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Definitely agree. Been driving M3s for 20 years in central NJ with snow tires. Once you put them on, you'll be fine until the snow is too deep.

Even in years where there is no snow (not last year!), the snows are worth it as the summers are useless in freezing weather.
Appreciate 0