E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Broken VC/ Head bolts- How much of a pain in the ***?

09-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Broken VC/ Head bolts- How much of a pain in the ***?

Having a 325i delivered within the next hour. Pretty sure it has some broken bolts due to the amount of oil leaking I saw and 200k on the odo.

Ive been researching the difficulty level of this repair, im a DIY kind of guy and have handled most repairs.

It seems pretty simple...try a couple picks to twist it out , maybe a left hand drill bit and a center punch, and extractor worst case. Space looks tight with the valvetronic motor, and maybe for that head bolt by the oil filter housing might be hard to get at....but for the guys that have done this, how would you rate it for difficulty and what tips would you give?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

The bolts don't need to be replaced if they don't have the blue dot on them. The blue dot indicates replace upon removal.
Valve cover gasket is what you need to replace since those harden and turn into rock.