E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Has anyone priced a full wrap on an e92 before?

09-15-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
comablaqq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Has anyone priced a full wrap on an e92 before?

I'm thinking about getting this done as black sapphire metallic is boring me. If anyone knows a place in brisbane that'd be just great too
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

I have an amazing colour idea for a wrap, but no one has the colour! The best iv been able to get was gcwraps attempting to create the colour by overlaying matte over a similar colour. Still hunting for the perfect colour, seems to only ever be done with paint. They quoted 3-4k for the whole job.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
comablaqq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

3-4 damn that is a lot of coin for something that can peel and last only 5 years
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Thats with matte overlay, essentially twice the work.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
sjf430
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 325i

there are people that have done it them selfs........tho i dont have the balls to lol. I say try it with the help of a few friends, try the boot or something relatively small first and see how it goes, can save urself thousands
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
fo55il
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Na5h on here has his Matt black. I think.he said it cost just over 3k.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
lemonpark
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E92

I'm gonna be driving up to Sydney to do mine, but 3-4k seems like the ball park for a full car wrap
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
3 - 4k seems like a lot, but its a good non-permanent option if you find a used car with EVERYTHING that you want, except colour.

I believe most groups doing professional wraps give them a lifetime warranty, so if it fails due to their application of the wrap - they'll fix it free.

If it fails because of someone keying your car, or stone chips, or shopping trolleys in the car park... well it's still cheaper and easier to match a re-wrap than a complete respray.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
bmshez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i Coupe M Sport (E92)

I bought my car with the thought of wrapping (Crimson Red atm) in mind but eventually grew to like the original colour. Is vinyl wrapping a bad idea for cars that will be parked out in the sun regularly?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Charger SRT, 07' G55 AMG

PLASTI DIP
      09-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Scotty89
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Plastidip is a messy process, and scratches easily though?

You have to mask up the entire car and everything around it, then hope that the spray quality of an aerosol can is satisfactory.

Would not Plastidip.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
Plastidip is a messy process, and scratches easily though?

You have to mask up the entire car and everything around it, then hope that the spray quality of an aerosol can is satisfactory.

Would not Plastidip.
I'm not sure where you get your info on Plasti Dip at... but.. here is my person experience.

I have dipped my car twice. Not with "aerosol cans". Plasti Dip does not just come in aerosol cans, they come in gallons in which can be sprayed from a normal sprayer used for automotive or industrial. I have never used aerosol to dip my car besides for the wheels as it is easier with cans.

Also it is not a messy process at all, and you do not have to "mask everything" all you have to do is mask what won't peel off. Plasti dip is not like regular paint where you have to deal with crazy over spray, the dip is a lot heavier when sprayed and dry quick. So.... all you have to do is sweep up when done.

It also does not scratch easily depending on how many coats you put. BUT, depending on the color you use it does RUB easily. Example would be bright colors.

I have dipped my car red as well as electric lime green. Only maintaining I do is power washer twice a week with no soap

Plasti Dip =USD $300 do it yourself or USD $500-1200 to have a shop do it.

Wrap = $1200-6000 for a shop to do it and you see lines from wraps not long enough to cover the area. Warping from heat.
      09-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
Scotty89
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Sorry I assumed you meant DIY'ing the plastidip.

Plasti-dip is still more invasive in my opinion, and to get it done by a shop - they'd need paint equipment (i.e. a paintshop). The only difference is they'd care less than a real paint job, and there should be less prep time. They're still going to charge you a lot for their "professional" work though.

Also, which areas would be too big to stretch a wrap over?
All panels I can think of could be done with 1 piece of wrap. The bonnet is probably the largest, and I've seen them wrap that in one piece on youtube.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

No piece on an E90/92 is too big to wrap without seams. The worst part is the E92 which requires a large piece from rear quarters to front fender, but it can be done one piece.

Vinyl doesn't warp from heat if done correctly. If the installer heats up the vinyl after initial install to make sure the edges/corners don't come up, it's fine. It isn't perfect as vinyl won't be as perfect as paint. But it's a lot closer than dip.

Dip is easier to install since anyone can spray. But it's more fragile than vinyl and you'll never get the gloss of vinyl if that's what you're going for. I've never liked the way dip looked in real life, the texture is weird. Looks good in pics, but in real life it looks like rubber since that's what it is. Even the matte dips have a rubberized look. And I've never seen dip with the gloss of vinyl or paint, even if the glossifier or clear is used.

I researched this a while back and ended up going with vinyl. 20 months later it's holding up well and I'm glad I picked it. Cost is more than dip, but there is a reason for it. Same reason a high end paint job costs more than vinyl, you'll always get what you pay for.

Quote:
Sorry I assumed you meant DIY'ing the plastidip.

Plasti-dip is still more invasive in my opinion, and to get it done by a shop - they'd need paint equipment (i.e. a paintshop). The only difference is they'd care less than a real paint job, and there should be less prep time. They're still going to charge you a lot for their "professional" work though.

Also, which areas would be too big to stretch a wrap over?
All panels I can think of could be done with 1 piece of wrap. The bonnet is probably the largest, and I've seen them wrap that in one piece on youtube.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #15
nash_86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I've got my car fully wrapped MATTE BLACK !!! Cost just over $3k from memory but yes, it does come with a 5 year warranty.

Definitely looks much better than the boring Space Grey underneath and I get a plethora of compliments from both E92 and non-E92 drivers.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #16
fo55il
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Space grey > matte black lel.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #17
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

The good part about plastidip is how temporary it is, toss on a color and if you don't like it just take it off. If you are looking for a gloss color then yes you should go Vinyl for sure, but plastidip matte can look just as nice as matte vinyl if done correctly.

Don't listen to anyone's opinion on plasti dip who has not dipped a car or had a close friend who has maintained it for a long period of time. If it is maintenance that worries you check out this guy throwing mud at his car then powerwashing it off.

09-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
The good part about plastidip is how temporary it is, toss on a color and if you don't like it just take it off. If you are looking for a gloss color then yes you should go Vinyl for sure, but plastidip matte can look just as nice as matte vinyl if done correctly.

Don't listen to anyone's opinion on plasti dip who has not dipped a car or had a close friend who has maintained it for a long period of time. If it is maintenance that worries you check out this guy throwing mud at his car then powerwashing it off.
Apparently you can purchaser the glossifier which adds shine to the matte. I haven't personally used it myself however if someone could confirm..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #19
Scotty89
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
The glossifier was mentioned in a previous post I believe, and it does not add much.

Moral of the story is, plasti-dip is a cheap and ugly method for seeking attention. Just get it wrapped or enjoy the BMW paint it came with.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #20
lemonpark
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E92

ok so, a mate if mine does wrapping and he quoted me 2k for my car (mates rates) I can talk to him about it again since I told him I'll probably do it early next year in satin white. only problem is he is located in Sydney, but I used to live there anyway so I was gonna plan a trip up, stay at a mates and leave my car with him for a few days then drive back down.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #21
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: None

$3k for a decent wrap job, this means bumpers off, mirrors off, door handles off etc
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The glossifier was mentioned in a previous post I believe, and it does not add much.

Moral of the story is, plasti-dip is a cheap and ugly method for seeking attention. Just get it wrapped or enjoy the BMW paint it came with.
Glossifier does add a lot depending on how you use it. Again it all depends on the user and installer. My first dip was pure matte red, clean and smooth exactly like vinyl. even close up people thought it was vinyl until I told them.

My second dip was mixed with glossifier and the top coat making a satin wet look to it. During the day it has a shine to it from the glossifier. Now I have not personally done a complete gloss on dip, but I've seen it in person before at a local car show and they mofo was just like any gloss. Again depends on the installer, preferably someone who has experience with actual automotive paint.

And I don't know if I mentioned before but all I do for maintenance is power washer twice a week and I'm golden. The downside about dip is it is rubber based and can dry rot, hence why I power wash twice a week to maintain the moisture in the rubber.

Those who claim dip is ugly and cheap have obviously never seen a good job in person, most likely a new diy'er who doesn't know anything. I agree dip is "cheap" but it last depending on the user and installer. Dip can be as smooth and clean as regular automotive paint depending on the installer.

I have nothing against vinyl, if I wanted a different color for awhile I would most likely use it. But I change my color every 6-months to a year or whenever I go on long roadtrips or the track I use dip to protect the paint.