E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 2009 320d ECU remap review

09-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Kieral
Rep
Drives: '09 320d e91 MSport

2009 320d ECU remap review

My experience

2008 Mondeo TDCI
Tune box ChipExpress
Moderate and noticeable performance increase. Diesel soot / smoke under hard acceleration. Plugged between the ECU and fuel rail so really it's just an over-fueller in my opinion. Would trigger limp mode on anything over middle power setting.

2010 VW Golf TDI
Viezu ECU remap, vRace map. Viezu DSG SW flash
Moderate and noticeable performance increase. Still reasonably linear power delivery, slight low improvement, good mid range, no real difference to top end.
DSG flash removed 400nm torque limit. No smoke, no issues. Recommend Viezu.

2009 BMW 320d e91 LCI 177hp Auto
This time around I thought I'd try Superchips Bluefin.
Because I had an encrypted ECU it needed to be bench tuned meaning I don't have the hand held unit and can't easily swap between maps.
If you search the web most information suggests from '07 onwards you'll have the ZF6H21 gearbox with a 450nm limit however unless you have the 2010 320d 184hp model you'll have the Q126 torque converter which can have issues above 400nm ~ so tune above 400nm at your own risk.
For every person who tuned above 400nm with no problems there will be another person who got shuddering from the transmission. The official BMW performance pack includes the S126 (450nm) torque converter found on the 2010+ 184hp model along with a larger intercooler and radiator fan. Details here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=11&fg=95. I got this priced by BMW Sydney at $3700 fitted, it's worth noting it only take the car to 390nm.

I decided to take a chance with the Superchips tune. Normally this takes the car to 444nm however I requested a 420nm limit due to my concerns around the gearbox. Peter James came around and did the bench tune and here are my thoughts....

The Superchips dyno can be found here:
http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/BMW20D177bhp.pdf

Generally speaking, the results are night and day, certainly much more prominent that the Viezu tune on my Golf TDI. The car is massively more powerful without any gearbox issues, no smoke, no issues period. In fact, the car is so much more powerful I genuinely wonder if I got the 420nm limited map I asked for.

It's not perfect however. There is no real change until around 1700rpm, at that point the power comes on so rapidly up to 3700rpm it reminds me of the 2-stoke motorbike power band. I have no trouble believing my wagon sprints to 100km/h in sub 7 seconds. It's like old-school boost and not linear at all.

What does it all mean? I means the car 'feels' slower from 0-1700rpm... it isn't, but because the power so strong in the mid range is exaggerates the unchanged bottom end. It also makes it a little harder to drive smoothly.
Before the tune the car was slower but BMW must have gone to pains to make the power delivery linear and refined to drive. Now it's a bit like moody animal.
Would I go back to stock? No way, I love it... but the wife won't like it's new temperamental attitude so if you're going to do this, know that you're going to give up what is already a well tuned and refined diesel vehicle.

The drive can be best described as a series of short peaky shoves through the gears up to the desired speed limit rather than a smooth progression. I actually find it a little harder to drive fast because of the way the power is delivered.

All said and done, I love it. It can probably hold it's against a stock 330d but I guarantee the 330d would be much nicer to live with.

If you like the way the car drives stock but just want more power, consider the $3.7k for the BMW performance pack (PPK) or consider a Viezu tune as their base map mimics the BMW PPK gains. It won't be as fast but the trade-off being you'll maintain more of that original smooth delivery. Superchips / Bluefin also do an economy tune, I've not seen the figures but I imagine it would be similar to Viezu and both would be safe with the stock torque converter.

Based on my experience with the Mondeo, Golf, and 320d, tuning any diesel really only increases the mid-range and so you'll always trade away smooth delivery in the pursuit of power IMO. Anyone familiar with dyno's should be able to look at the sheet and understand exactly that anyway. To say you have a tune that feels like the OEM map only better across the whole range contradicts what the power curves are saying.

Last edited by Kieral; 09-16-2014 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

+1 for superchip

I too had an E53 3.0d X5 and E60 530d done by Peter via Bluefin module. Performance gain is very noticeable and the turbo kick is much stronger. Economy is actually improved slightly for both of the cars.

If u want a good tune, superchip does have an excellent product at such a great price. DMS automotive wants over $3000 for their tune which is about what most people charge in Aus. I recently also tune my Q7 4.2tdi with peter and has positive outcome so I can back what the OP is saying. It is a no brainer to go with Peter @ superchip for proper remap.

Too bad you are not in Brissy, we should meet up for a quick spin!
Appreciate 0