THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Navigation issue

09-19-2014, 04:21 AM   #1
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Navigation issue

So, weird thing happened with my navigation. I'm getting the correct gps location (more or less, though occasionally off by a couple hundred feet) but the nav system thinks i'm facing a direction about 90 degrees away from the direction I'm actually facing. So, in perspective mode, if i'm traveling east to west, it shows me facing north and moving sideways to the left.

Then, every intersection I pass, it thinks I've taken it and reroutes, which is really annoying.

Tried driving around in circles to realign the navigation, no luck. I first noticed it a day after going through a touchless carwash, so maybe my antenna got effed? The fact that it's sometimes the right location and sometimes not makes me think this is the problem. But, I had also coded my navigation language to UK English, so I was thinking maybe that changed the "zone" somehow and caused the problem. But, when I coded it back to US English, the problem remained, so don't think that's it.

Advice appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Found this - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=16. Sound right to you folks?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunnz View Post
Found this - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=16. Sound right to you folks?
I found this,

http://5series.net/forums/e60-discus...6/#post1300527

I hope your antenna did not get damaged

I also found this:

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=130763

A lot of GPS modules have antenna monitoring - they can detect if the antenna is open circuit or short circuit. Hopefully the BMW GPS can do this and reports the result via a fault code.

GPS antennas can fail. They are usually "active" and contain a small Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) this can fail.

In this case I'd be suspecting the connection.

First step read the fault codes.

Second step get access to the CCC and plug another GPS antenna in and see if that solves the problem - if it does then fix it properly.

Last edited by xxxHolic; 09-19-2014 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Added information
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxHolic View Post
I found this,

http://5series.net/forums/e60-discus...6/#post1300527

I hope your antenna did not get damaged

I also found this:

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=130763

A lot of GPS modules have antenna monitoring - they can detect if the antenna is open circuit or short circuit. Hopefully the BMW GPS can do this and reports the result via a fault code.

GPS antennas can fail. They are usually "active" and contain a small Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) this can fail.

In this case I'd be suspecting the connection.

First step read the fault codes.

Second step get access to the CCC and plug another GPS antenna in and see if that solves the problem - if it does then fix it properly.
Thanks man. Going to make an appointment w my dealer and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Did you code anything related to the navigation?

I remember one feature not sure if it was "magnet" or what but it would make the nav be off by like 100ft or so if enabled
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Did you code anything related to the navigation?

I remember one feature not sure if it was "magnet" or what but it would make the nav be off by like 100ft or so if enabled
Other than the nav language, I had coded the internal gyroscope option a while back and forgotten about it. I think it might have been that.

So, today, I deactivated the gyro whilst parked on the roof of a parking garage, drove in circles for a minute, turned off the car for about half an hour, then the problem disappeared. Very relieved!

I totally dig the british nav voice, except that it often can't pronounce 't's in the middle of words and will instead substitute an 'r.' So, 'Four-Ninety-Five' becomes 'Four-Ninery-Five' and 'Connecticut' becomes 'Connericut.' Quite amusing, really. . .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

Great news! Other than the wonky voice guidance, its good to know you're not having to spend any money or take your car in for service.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks man!
Appreciate 0