THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Fasten seat belt sensor malfunction

09-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Fasten seat belt sensor malfunction

I was driving down the road alone with my self belt on and all of a sudden the seat belt warning starting going off. Telling me to fasten my seat belt. I was perplexed. After giggling a few things and seeing it come on and off, long story short I figured out, it was my iPad Air on the passenger seat setting off the sensor. I could also see the passenger side airbag light turning on and off. It was like clock work. Set the iPad down, ding. Pick it up and the warning in cluster goes out and the dings stops. Now here's the kicker. I was using it to play music with the 3.5mm headphone jack only as I usually do. (Not the Y connector) I found that with the iPad on the seat AND the headphone jack plugged into the center console, DING. Unplug the cable and the problem goes away! (Or lift the iPad) So. If the iPad is on the seat while plugged into the center consol the seat belt sign sounds off. 7k miles. I guess I'll be taking it in. Any one ever have a problem like this?

Last edited by 2msport; 09-19-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Very odd. Do you have another audio cable you could try just to rule it out?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
jb606
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i xDrive

That's probably the weight sensor doing its job. I don't know the exact weights but anything over a couple of pounds but less than 80 or so will trigger the the seat belt light but disable the passenger air bag. Air bags and small kids don't mix.

I've had the same thing happen when I put a small bag of groceries on the front seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb606 View Post
That's probably the weight sensor doing its job. I don't know the exact weights but anything over a couple of pounds but less than 80 or so will trigger the the seat belt light but disable the passenger air bag. Air bags and small kids don't mix.

I've had the same thing happen when I put a small bag of groceries on the front seat.
Yeah but this is an iPad Air... 2lbs? And the part where it only senses the iPad when the audio jack was plugged in. That's weird.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff View Post
Very odd. Do you have another audio cable you could try just to rule it out?
I'll try it
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
SteveSFO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 Long Beach Blue

Interesting.... something similar happened to me. Samsung Galaxy Note connected to the USB and a small camera on the seat set off the seat belt sensor too. I've had heavier things on the seat before without the sensor going off. Doesn't make sense that a cellphone connected to the USB would set it off...but that was the only difference this time.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
Bimmer86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Well, at least you could always just code the seat belt warning off if the dealer decides it is working as intended.
Appreciate 0