E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Post JB4 Install Woes

10-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
XEN55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6AT

Unhappy Post JB4 Install Woes

Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker on E90post for quite some time now so I thought I'd start here while troubleshooting my current issue.

Background:
I finally got around to installing my JB4, BMS Intake, and VRSF CP last night and the install was relatively straight forward. I made some knuckleheaded errors which could have been avoided had I paid closer attention to the install guide. I could not find the MAP sensor and for some odd reason thought that the purple cable HAD to be plugged into the intake itself. Unfortunately, I started the car with this setup and was made aware of my mistake immediately when I saw the half engine CEL and a noticeably loud clicking/ticking noise from the motor. The odd clicking/ticking sound was coming from near the intake box. I managed to identify the wiring errors I made and fixed them immediately.

Now, with the wiring corrected and the CEL off, the car is still acting a bit odd. The car has no CEL or SES lights but is still making that clicking/ticking noise. Also, when I took the car out for a test drive (Map 5), the throttle was super choppy and not linear what so ever. I switched Maps (Map 1) and the issue still persisted. I finally turned the JB4 off (Map 0) and the throttle is now back to normal. Long story short, I want to get to the bottom of the noise and the throttle response issue. Most importantly, I'd like to know if there are any direct correlations between these two issues.

I've reached out to Jon at BMS for assistance but I figured I'd get a quicker response here on the forums. Apologies for any re-posts and I'd really appreciate any help I can get! You can view a sound clip with the noises in the link below. You'll hear the noise specifically at the :16, :24, :31, :34, :40 mark of the video.

TL;DR Version:

Car:
2011 E92 335i

Mods:
JB4
BMS Intake
VRSF CP

Issues:
1) Choppy throttle response Map 1 & 5
- Car hesitates to accelerate at all RPMs/Speeds
- Car responds perfectly fine with JB4 off Map 0

2) Clicking/Ticking noise near throttle body
- Noise is new and started after mod install
- Noise coming from near the intake box
- Not sure how much
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Knobi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Garage List
The random tick is very unusual.
I would re-check all connections and make sure there's no bent pins. Unplug battery and follow directions again, once everything is double checked I would recommend you to clear all codes. Did you install the USB cable? This comes handy to check fault codes and do logs.
Good luck and keep us posted
      10-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
oneha1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive coupe

that was the exact problem i had with the SAME EXACT set up with jb4, BMS intake and VRSF chargepipe.. Jon from BMS was very helpful and guided me through the problem and now the clicking noise is gone. to fix it, you need to bridge the chassis ground wire with one of two black ground wires. very simple and problem gone.. only drove my car for 5 mins after that but my car feels better already(maybe its in my head.. haha)

*sold* 2011 335i xDrive e92
KW V1, JB4 Stage 2, BMS Intake, VRSF Chargepipe & Downpipe...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
XEN55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the quick response guys!

oneha1980@
Did Jon ever mention what was making that noise and whether or not it was harmful to the motor? It sounds pretty bad and I'm afraid of causing any damage to the motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
XEN55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump:

Anyone else able to chime in on the choppy throttle issue? Has anyone else with similar mods witnessed something similar?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEN55
Bump:

Anyone else able to chime in on the choppy throttle issue? Has anyone else with similar mods witnessed something similar?
I had some issues when I first installed mine as well. It turned out to be the connections. Triple check everything. I know you've probably heard that a million times and it's super frustrating but 9 times out of 10 that's what it is. Can you take a log?
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
XEN55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Alright folks,

Just thought I'd drop a few lines regarding the resolution of my JB4 issues.

1) Throttle issue has been completely resolved
- I opened everything back up as suggested and found that the canbus cables has sticky residue on them.
- Attempted to clean the residue off but it was WAY to difficult.
- I ended up cutting and redoing the cable tying process
- Throttle issues is gone, car drives awesome!

2) Clicking/Ticking Noise is 95% gone
- Followed the steps posted by oneha1980
- The clicking noise is now less frequent (e.g. 1 click every few mins vs 1 click every few seconds)
- I need to find a definitive fix for this damn clicking issue!
- Does anyone know where the noise could be coming from?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
aren93
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEN55 View Post
Alright folks,

Just thought I'd drop a few lines regarding the resolution of my JB4 issues.

1) Throttle issue has been completely resolved
- I opened everything back up as suggested and found that the canbus cables has sticky residue on them.
- Attempted to clean the residue off but it was WAY to difficult.
- I ended up cutting and redoing the cable tying process
- Throttle issues is gone, car drives awesome!

2) Clicking/Ticking Noise is 95% gone
- Followed the steps posted by oneha1980
- The clicking noise is now less frequent (e.g. 1 click every few mins vs 1 click every few seconds)
- I need to find a definitive fix for this damn clicking issue!
- Does anyone know where the noise could be coming from?
Hey I have the same exact problem man the clicking sound came right after the JB4 install and I've only been on Map 5 and 1. Always hear it and I have major idle issues and sometimes when I give it some throttle car is jumpy and doesn't respond, while holding the brake when stopped, car jerks and rumbles and my boost gauge is shaking, rpm's drop to 0 sometimes. I hope the issue is from the wiring like yours.
      11-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
aren93
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I finally got Throttle Issue and Clicking noise fixed thanks to you man. As soon as we bridged the Chassis Ground Wire the clicking was gone and my CANwires did have residue, got that cleaned and the car feels so much smoother and overall feels better, no clicking sound at all
      04-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #10
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aren93 View Post
I finally got Throttle Issue and Clicking noise fixed thanks to you man. As soon as we bridged the Chassis Ground Wire the clicking was gone and my CANwires did have residue, got that cleaned and the car feels so much smoother and overall feels better, no clicking sound at all
Revising an old thread. Can you or someone explain how to do this? The pictures posted above no longer work. This ticking has been going on for far too long and is driving me nuts!
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
aren93
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTsky View Post
Revising an old thread. Can you or someone explain how to do this? The pictures posted above no longer work. This ticking has been going on for far too long and is driving me nuts!
I mean this is how we did it. "to fix it, you need to bridge the chassis ground wire with one of two black ground wires. "
If that doesn't work I'm not sure what else to say, you can try contacting BMS maybe.