THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Mid-Atlantic Winter tire storage

10-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Winter tire storage

Hey all,

My car was delivered with the Michelin pilot super sports, which I love. But, as winter approaches, I'm trying to work out a winter setup. The problem is that I live in a condo and thus can't store the tires myself. More northern states have services for tire storage, but I can't find anything similar in Maryland or the mid-Atlantic. Anyone have any ideas? I need to get in touch w the dealer too to see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black M235i MT

Where are you in Maryland?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

When I asked at Towson BMW they said they had an off site provider that stores tires for a monthly fee.
You don't get a storage room in the basement at your condo ?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Find a cheap storage unit outside of the city. Get the smallest one that isn't on the ground floor and you could probably find something for 40 a month give or take. Plenty of those around just have to check online and the key is to find them in not so in demand locations.

Think public storage and all the other competitors
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunnz View Post
Hey all,

My car was delivered with the Michelin pilot super sports, which I love. But, as winter approaches, I'm trying to work out a winter setup. The problem is that I live in a condo and thus can't store the tires myself. More northern states have services for tire storage, but I can't find anything similar in Maryland or the mid-Atlantic. Anyone have any ideas? I need to get in touch w the dealer too to see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks much!
do you have a balcony or patio? store them outside. or find a spot inside if you have to. i deffo would not pay for a storage unit!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys, thanks for the responses and sorry to not have replied. Things got crazy at work.

To answer the various questions:

1. I'm in Baltimore.

2. I had figured the dealer might have some arrangement, thanks for letting me know Towson does. Will look into it.

3. Nope, no basement storage locker/unit, unfortunately.

4. The storage facility out of the city is an interesting idea, but then I'd have the problem of how to get the tires there in the first place.

5. No balcony. Wish we had some outside space, alas. But I've heard that the summer tires are best not stored where it's too cold anyway, as they might be prone to cracking. I don't know if that's true, but probably not worth the risk.

What I've been thinking - I park my car in the garage in the basement of my building, up against a wall. I could probably just line up the off-season tires along the wall. Will be asking the management if they'd have a problem with that. Again, I'd need to figure out how to get the tires there, but I can probably get a friend with a truck to help out.

Thanks again, all.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

I saw an ad for BMW of Silver Spring offering tire storage. Not sure if its handled internally or via vendor, but there's another option.

I know the 2 series is smaller, but do your rear seats fold down? I can easily get 4 rims/tires into my M3.

I may be picking up an M2 one day, so I'd like to know if it would fit anyways.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0