THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Looking for coder in San Diego

10-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
jrbundy
Rep
Drives: M235i EB/Terra

Looking for coder in San Diego

I'm looking for someone in San Diego that would be willing to answer a few questions about coding. I'll buy the beer/lunch for your time. I have a m235i on order, so I don't have a car yet. I'd like to learn more about coding before I get it.

I don't have any problems with the computer, cables, connections, etc. My issue is understanding the lingo. For example, this isn't really "coding" in the typical sense of the word, i.e. software development/programming. It seems like it is more like adjusting configuration parameters.

Given that this seems to be adjusting parameters, what I am having difficulty understanding is the coding-specific abbreviations. I.e what is the difference between FA (Fahrzeug-Auftrag) and VO (Vehicle Order)? Are they the same? What is FP? SVT, NCD, VLD, CAF, etc?

Next, I'm trying to understand what can be changed with a token (a "license" ?) and what can't be changed. I'd like to understand the origins of the e-sys software. What can be changed without running into issues with dealer issues later. Etc.

I have been reading all I can for weeks. I have read PDFs, googled, and watched videos. I'm looking for a more in-depth explanation about what is going on, not just where to buy a token and which buttons to click.

Is there anyone that can help?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0