E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > New 335i Help Me Mod It!!

10-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
dandandan161
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

New 335i Help Me Mod It!!

Hi guys just bought a bmw 335i new to this forum so i want to spend some money on the engine need to hear thought, best value for money ideas and lets see how quick we can make this thing go

ps. ill post picture once car is out of the work shop I am adding some m3 features since i got the car dirt cheap!

cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

The basics for power would be:

Tune (such as JB4 or Cobb)
Catless DPs
Upgraded Charge pipe
Intake
Upgraded FMIC

You might also need new spark plugs and/or coil packs when running a tune.

So far I have JB4, AR catless DPs, ER chargepipe with Forge DVs and BMS dual cone intakes.

I plan to get a ER FMIC later on and leave the outside completely stock looking to keep the sleeper factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
dandandan161
Private
Rep

Nice mate how much has all that set you back and what sort of power has it givin it? If you dont mind me asking
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
YA-91
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, 335 Convertible (SOLD)

As stated above the mods would be great in that order I personally went with the following set up:

Jb4
Ar catless downpipes
Bms dual intake
Er charge pipe
Hks ssqv blow off valve
Lux angel eyes for looks
Alpina transmission flash tune

Car is an absolute beast and it's a huge difference from stock. Good luck with your mods and keep us updated where abouts are you based anyways ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
Drill
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan161 View Post
Hi guys just bought a bmw 335i new to this forum so i want to spend some money on the engine need to hear thought, best value for money ideas and lets see how quick we can make this thing go

ps. ill post picture once car is out of the work shop I am adding some m3 features since i got the car dirt cheap!

cheers guys
Welcome Dan, heaps of really helpful people here
Need to decide if you want to be stealthy (stock look) or not (lips, skirts etc)
Either way best mods is a tune (cobb, JB4 etc) adds 30-40 hp for around $700-$900. Also new spark plugs and ignition coils as the tune puts strain on the ignition system. Although not essential From there you can upgrade the air intake side of the turbos (eg intercooler, charge pipes etc) and/or the exhaust side (drop pipes, exhaust etc)
Popular visual mods inlcude, replacing the gold halo lights with white (angel eyes) new rims, black front grills (kidney grills) wrapping the sliver trim around the doors black etc..... lots of great threads on peoples builds and DIY projects..... Happy modding
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Drill
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YA-91 View Post
As stated above the mods would be great in that order I personally went with the following set up:

Jb4
Ar catless downpipes
Bms dual intake
Er charge pipe
Hks ssqv blow off valve
Lux angel eyes for looks

Car is an absolute beast and it's a huge difference from stock. Good luck with your mods and keep us updated where abouts are you based anyways ?

Where do you get your work done here in Melb?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
YA-91
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drill
Quote:

Jb4
Ar catless downpipes
Bms dual intake
Er charge pipe
Hks ssqv blow off valve
Lux angel eyes for looks

Active Motorwerke in burwood. Awesome service pricing and really quick turnaround. Highly recommend these guys. Speak to Steven tell him you got referred by forum member and he will take care of you
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
YA-91
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drill
Quote:

Jb4
Ar catless downpipes
Bms dual intake
Er charge pipe
Hks ssqv blow off valve
Lux angel eyes for looks

Just read your post lol I thought you were he other guy
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
Drill
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan161 View Post
Nice mate how much has all that set you back and what sort of power has it givin it? If you dont mind me asking
stock is about 300hp, basic mods up to 350 hp, heavily modded up to 400 hp
Cost depends on what brands you buy and how far you go but for example

Rough guess

Tune = 850
Front mounted intercooler (FMIC) = $2500 fitted
Charge pipes and blow off valve (CP & BOV) = $550 fitted
Sparks and ignition coils = $650
Drop pipes $1200 fitted
Rims = $1000 - $3500 (without rubber)
Full exhaust - 2500+

Expensive hobby
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Drill
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just read your post lol I thought you were he other guy
Yeh sorry to jack the thread

Thanks YA... got my car about 3 weeks ago, met with Lin at active last week, taking it in for service and a full inspection while it is still under stat warranty...

Also did you buy ur own parts of source through active???
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
YA-91
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Haha no worries yea those guys will sort you out very well. I got the parts through them it was better if you get it from them any issues with the parts they will replace them with bi issues. Also much easier to let them do it I was too lazy and didn't know brands etc back then
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Drill
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Haha no worries yea those guys will sort you out very well. I got the parts through them it was better if you get it from them any issues with the parts they will replace them with bi issues. Also much easier to let them do it I was too lazy and didn't know brands etc back then
Seems like im you 12 months ago, new to 335i and deer in headlights
Not knowing the brands or understanding what to look for in the parts, im came to the same conclusion as you and guessed its easier to like Active do it for me
That said Id rather buy parts that will stay on the car and not have to trade up as I get to know more...

Any wisdom to impart YA?
You have a great mod list there... are there any brands or parts you would change if you had your time over??
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drill View Post
stock is about 300hp, basic mods up to 350 hp, heavily modded up to 400 hp
Cost depends on what brands you buy and how far you go but for example

Rough guess

Tune = 850
Front mounted intercooler (FMIC) = $2500 fitted
Charge pipes and blow off valve (CP & BOV) = $550 fitted
Sparks and ignition coils = $650
Drop pipes $1200 fitted
Rims = $1000 - $3500 (without rubber)
Full exhaust - 2500+

Expensive hobby
Those prices are premium - if you're aiming for top end stuff.

THe Jb4 is the cheapest plug in tune, and can be landed for about $500-600 AUD. Used you could get it around $400. This is a 30 minute job that anyone can do themselves. You just need to know how to read instructions.

The spark plugs, $90 a set for NGK 5992 iridium platinum.
Coil packs can be had for $180 - 200. Both these you can install yourself, easy DIY.

There is not much gain to be had from a full exhaust on the 335 unless you are swapping out the turbos or such. From what I have read, the standard exhaust flows very well other than the turbo downpipes.

The main pieces for "full bolt on" are tune, downpipes, intake, front mount intercooler and charge pipe.

You can get all of the above (minus the tune) from VRSF for around $1700 shipped.

Last edited by Scotty89; 10-10-2014 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
Drill
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
Those prices are premium - if you're aiming for top end stuff.

THe Jb4 is the cheapest plug in tune, and can be landed for about $500-600 AUD. Used you could get it around $400. This is a 30 minute job that anyone can do themselves. You just need to know how to read instructions.

The spark plugs, $90 a set for NGK 5992 iridium platinum.
Coil packs can be had for $180 - 200. Both these you can install yourself, easy DIY.

There is not much gain to be had from a full exhaust on the 335 unless you are swapping out the turbos or such. From what I have read, the standard exhaust flows very well other than the turbo downpipes.

The main pieces for "full bolt on" are tune, downpipes, intake, front mount intercooler and charge pipe.

You can get all of the above (minus the tune) from VRSF for around $1700 shipped.

Hey Scotty are intakes important. I was watching mightcarmod and the trials they ran on different intake set ups made no diff to hp.. Interested in why people install them.?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drill View Post
Hey Scotty are intakes important. I was watching mightcarmod and the trials they ran on different intake set ups made no diff to hp.. Interested in why people install them.?
On naturally aspirated cars (i.e. no turbo or supercharger) the "cold air intake" actually does worse, as it collects hot air from in the engine bay and hot air creates a far less dense air mixture when sucked into the engine. So I assume mighty car mods tested them on N/A cars.

On turbo cars, the restrictive air box offers more opportunity for upgrading with cone filters as they flow better when the turbo is pulling lots of air. While they will still pull hot air from the engine bay, this can be negated by the air-to-air intercooler on most turbo cars which cools the air again after compression by the turbo. N/A cars do not have intercoolers, so they suffer with hot air and do not gain anything from higher flow rates.

Mighty car mods are not always correct either, so don't trust them as the bible. They completely stuffed up their "experiment" with painted intercoolers, and gave the wrong advice because they lack the understanding of basic physics principles.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #16
dandandan161
Private
Rep

Hey guys cheers heeps for the replies its been really helpful iv bought so far the bmw performance v2 steering wheel
Amg performance seats
M3 wide body conversion only because i love the m3 shape!
Im looking for some te37SL if anyone has any!
Will start posting pics along the way waiting for the car to arrive
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #17
MingKun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Evo

Genuine M3 Wide Body conversion? What a baller!!

Looking forward to it but what's AMG performance seats???
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #18
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Do you have M-sport? which platform is your 335i?

JB4 + Catless downpipes are great to start off with then you can think about, doing a complete full bolt on.

Front mount intercooler $1000+
Intake $200+
Exhaust $1500+

Depending on what brand you get, you can shop around to suit your budget and personal preference. You can also check out the for sale section where people are parting out. For example I'm selling my carbon fibre rear diffuser.

You'll also see another thread someone has posted selling their JB4

Last edited by ATTN; 10-11-2014 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #19
dandandan161
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingKun View Post
Genuine M3 Wide Body conversion? What a baller!!

Looking forward to it but what's AMG performance seats???

The amg seats are just like the bmw perfmancr seats ill see if i can add a picture they are lighter than the bmw ones from what iv researched
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:57 AM   #20
dandandan161
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
Do you have M-sport? which platform is your 335i?

JB4 + Catless downpipes are great to start off with then you can think about, doing a complete full bolt on.

Front mount intercooler $1000+
Intake $200+
Exhaust $1500+

Depending on what brand you get, you can shop around to suit your budget and personal preference. You can also check out the for sale section where people are parting out. For example I'm selling my carbon fibre rear diffuser.

You'll also see another thread someone has posted selling their JB4
My 335i has the m sport and sat nav interior and sunroof but doesnt have the m sport body and all the other extras which is ok because its all getting changed including the suspension and brakes im thinking k sport bbk but as you said alot of people are saying jb4 i may go a little more extreme haha but with in reason i guess i can aswell since the car was prity cheap and wont acually set me back a whole lot im also thinking burnt gloss orange wrap or pearl white wrap
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #21
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Can't wait to see the wide body and seats!!

Stuff the performance for now, all these aesthetics mods are way more important!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #22
Drill
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
On naturally aspirated cars (i.e. no turbo or supercharger) the "cold air intake" actually does worse, as it collects hot air from in the engine bay and hot air creates a far less dense air mixture when sucked into the engine. So I assume mighty car mods tested them on N/A cars.

On turbo cars, the restrictive air box offers more opportunity for upgrading with cone filters as they flow better when the turbo is pulling lots of air. While they will still pull hot air from the engine bay, this can be negated by the air-to-air intercooler on most turbo cars which cools the air again after compression by the turbo. N/A cars do not have intercoolers, so they suffer with hot air and do not gain anything from higher flow rates.

Mighty car mods are not always correct either, so don't trust them as the bible. They completely stuffed up their "experiment" with painted intercoolers, and gave the wrong advice because they lack the understanding of basic physics principles.

Cheers scotty check out this mightycarmods episode on cold air intakes
Appreciate 0