EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Sirius Trick

Best sound in order: HD Fm, HD Am, CD, Mp3, Satellite, Satellite radio has so much compression it will always sound shtty.

Work around and almost the best sound of all....Get Sirus Radio on your cell phone, bluetooth to your car, select the app, the sound quality is just about as good as anything. Why? you ask, over the air and into our decoder head units in the BMW, about 146 stereo channel packets are pushed through the air, super compression to make it happen, then as you turn to the channel, our head units decode to that channel, and since highly compressed it comes out sounding like sht. Whereas if you bluetooth from an app, only 1, yes one channel is sent down the pipe over the internet into our cell phones, easy to decode and very little compression.

So, workaround to make Sirius sound awesome! get the Sirius app from the app store, then pay little extra form Sirius and you will love it.

When it comes time to renew your subscription and you have an issue with the price of the subscription, tell the phone operator your done with this unless they can offer you something amazing to keep you on board, they will come back with something like this, 23.00 a quarter for 2 vehicles for a year, then when that's done keep end date in mind and do it again. Just tell them its not worth it, since only talk channels sound good and their compression sucks. Then find out about using the app on your cell phone.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Not too sure I'd agree with you on that.

Granted this is my first post on this forum though I'd like to add - in my current ride (04 GTO), I've replaced the stock Blowchunks stereo with the following:

Alpine HU XM (capable)
Memphis Belle 1600 amp
Infinity 6.5" separates
2 x 8" Memphis woofers on the rear shelf with a glassed in box underneath.

With regards to the satellite SQ, yes it compressed and in the system mentioned I can typically hear the difference between between an MP3, CD, and satellite. I typically get it correct about 80% of the time. In defense of your statement, I do not listen to FM HD and have not listened to FM since 05 when I was given an XM My-Fy (handheld and portable XM radio) as a Navy retirement gift. This unit is FM modulated and resides in the Tacoma. (The GTO's XM is direct/hardwired into the HU.)

For the My-Fy, SQ can be crappy when a locally competing FM station over powers the modulated signal. When modulated, either via FM or Bluetooth, SQ will not, and cannot, be in a position to compete with FM (HD or not).

For the Alpine HU, SQ can be nearly as close as a CD. I would contend the system which you are comparing the SQ of Sirus is less a factor of the signal being from a satellite and more a factor of the HU's signal processing.

FYI - I typically listen to 50's, 60's, 70's, some 80's, classic vinyl, deep tracks, Lithium, the classical station (well you get the musical idea), and Old Time Radio.
Appreciate 0