BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Text Messages In iDrive

I've tried multiple ways of using the BMW connected app and I cant get text messages to display in iDrive on my iPhone 6 Plus. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

the only way i got my text messages to work is to make sure in the bluetooth setting on the iPhone, you click on the bmw connection and make sure there's a checkmark for bluetooth notifications.

then once you pair it with the car, it'll start showing in the office. However, emails... i did every suggestion possible and they aren't showing.
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2023.50
      10-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
the only way i got my text messages to work is to make sure in the bluetooth setting on the iPhone, you click on the bmw connection and make sure there's a checkmark for bluetooth notifications.

then once you pair it with the car, it'll start showing in the office. However, emails... i did every suggestion possible and they aren't showing.
Oh awesome thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
schmitzna
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Press and hold the speech recognition button on the steering wheel and say "Siri, read my texts." "Siri, read my emails."

Way simpler than all the prerequisites you need to do to get the HUD to display them and far, far more reliable. And you can verbally reply to them
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitzna View Post
Press and hold the speech recognition button on the steering wheel and say "Siri, read my texts." "Siri, read my emails."

Way simpler than all the prerequisites you need to do to get the HUD to display them and far, far more reliable. And you can verbally reply to them
This probably only works if the messages are making it to iDrive in the frist place right? No matter what I do, I cannot get txt msgs, email, or gmail directions to come up in iDrive. The only thing that does work is when BMW assist sends me directions.. This is really starting to piss me off. It is especially frustrating because when I am using the BMW Connected app and I get a txt, I have to disconnect from the app to read the txt and then reconnect on my phone
      10-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
schmitzna
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82_SID View Post
This probably only works if the messages are making it to iDrive in the frist place right? No matter what I do, I cannot get txt msgs, email, or gmail directions to come up in iDrive. The only thing that does work is when BMW assist sends me directions.. This is really starting to piss me off. It is especially frustrating because when I am using the BMW Connected app and I get a txt, I have to disconnect from the app to read the txt and then reconnect on my phone
The "External" connection is direct to Siri or Google when you press and hold the speech recognition button. She will read all your texts and emails.

The BMW Office will only show you emails and texts that have been received while in the car. And that is when it is working. If you want to read an unread email or text you received before getting in the car, you cannot do that with BMW Office.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
I noticed when I have my iPhone 5 in the cradle I have to have bluetooth turned on as well to receive tst messages and emails. I don't know if anyone else has this issue?
      10-21-2014, 02:47 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalley View Post
I noticed when I have my iPhone 5 in the cradle I have to have bluetooth turned on as well to receive tst messages and emails. I don't know if anyone else has this issue?
Texts and emails are transferred to the iDrive via Bluetooth, not USB.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82_SID View Post
Try these steps in order:

1. Delete your iPhone from iDrive.
2. Forget BMW device from iPhone
3. Re-pair iPhone to iDrive
4. At your iPhone, select "Show Notifications" by pressing the circled "i" to the right of the BMW connected pairing under Bluetooth connections.
5. Kill email and text apps
6. At iDrive, go to BMW Office -> Current Office -> Move controller to the right -> check that both display emails and text messages received checkboxes are enabled -> disable and re-enable both selections

That worked for me...
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Texts and emails are transferred to the iDrive via Bluetooth, not USB.
Ahhhh thanks! I didn't know.
      07-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #12
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Sorry to dig this thread out of the grave but thought it would be better than making a new one. I just wanted to confirm a couple of things~~

1) When receiving a text, there is no "alert" or "notification" that can be seen/pop up via idrive right? If so it seems like this feature is not so great after all.

2) You cannot reply to text via voice recognition? I see a "reply" button when viewing a text message but it is grayed out and all searches on google leads me to believe you cannot reply to the text message.

Thanks for confirming!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 06:12 AM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim
Sorry to dig this thread out of the grave but thought it would be better than making a new one. I just wanted to confirm a couple of things~~

1) When receiving a text, there is no "alert" or "notification" that can be seen/pop up via idrive right? If so it seems like this feature is not so great after all.

2) You cannot reply to text via voice recognition? I see a "reply" button when viewing a text message but it is grayed out and all searches on google leads me to believe you cannot reply to the text message.

Thanks for confirming!
You should receive a notification that looks like a small envelope in the upper right corner of the screen next to the time display but there is no sound. You need to notice it.

If you have an iPhone you should be able to hold the voice button on the steering wheel to bring up Siri. (Hold longer than bringing up the BMW voice command button - you'll hear the standard Siri sound.) From there, just use normal Siri functions - e.g. "Send text message to [name]" if you want to respond to someone or send a new message. (I don't have an Android phone so don't know if there is comparable functionality offered with an Android phone.)
      07-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #14
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
You should receive a notification that looks like a small envelope in the upper right corner of the screen next to the time display but there is no sound. You need to notice it.

If you have an iPhone you should be able to hold the voice button on the steering wheel to bring up Siri. (Hold longer than bringing up the BMW voice command button - you'll hear the standard Siri sound.) From there, just use normal Siri functions - e.g. "Send text message to [name]" if you want to respond to someone or send a new message. (I don't have an Android phone so don't know if there is comparable functionality offered with an Android phone.)
Thanks for the reply. i have an iPhone but have never used the siri function. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

Thanks for the reply. i have an iPhone but have never used the siri function. Thanks again!
Also, FYI I can't get emails to show up on my screen but I can have Siri read them to me. Just press and hold the steering wheel button until you head the Siri sound and then say "Read my email" or "check for new email" and it will read them to you through speakers via Bluetooth.
      07-08-2016, 02:30 AM   #16
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Try these steps in order:

1. Delete your iPhone from iDrive.
2. Forget BMW device from iPhone
3. Re-pair iPhone to iDrive
4. At your iPhone, select "Show Notifications" by pressing the circled "i" to the right of the BMW connected pairing under Bluetooth connections.
5. Kill email and text apps
6. At iDrive, go to BMW Office -> Current Office -> Move controller to the right -> check that both display emails and text messages received checkboxes are enabled -> disable and re-enable both selections

That worked for me...
Could never get mine to work for email or text msg. Will give that a try!
      07-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #17
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I tried all of this without any luck. Once I plugged mine in to the USB port to charge it and play music it finally started working. Got in the car the next day without plugging in and I received a text on the display.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #18
Marth06
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post

Thanks for confirming!
You can make the alert tone play on your phone if you untick 'audio' in Bluetooth settings (from memory) There is another thread on here about it. I unticked it and now I get the tone (I don't use my phone to stream music)

But I tried holding down the voice recognition button to get Siri.......I couldn't get it to work. Does the iPhone have to be in the unlocked mode? Do you need latest idrive software...mine hasn't been updated and my car is early 2014 model

Last edited by Marth06; 07-18-2016 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #19
VancouverDCT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015

Here is why this is so f*cked up:
It worked fine on my Blackberry Q10.
Now that I have an iPhone (and hate every minute of it): Nada. Zilch. Butkus.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #20
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverDCT View Post
Here is why this is so f*cked up:
It worked fine on my Blackberry Q10.
Now that I have an iPhone (and hate every minute of it): Nada. Zilch. Butkus.
It works on my iPhone just fine.
Appreciate 0