E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Is it OK to touch up a chip in cold weather?

01-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
csupernova
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Is it OK to touch up a chip in cold weather?

Sorry if this sounds dumb.
I have a chip on my door and would like to cover it with touch up paint. I would like to apply it asap since I don't want it to rust. Is it fine to do it in the cold weather i.e. 30-40 F?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by csupernova View Post
Sorry if this sounds dumb.
I have a chip on my door and would like to cover it with touch up paint. I would like to apply it asap since I don't want it to rust. Is it fine to do it in the cold weather i.e. 30-40 F?
I am no expert in this department, but I would think that the paint will take much longer to set up and eventually dry. From what I have read, wash with soap to remove dirt and wax first, dry, and then use a tooth pick instead of the paint brush if the chip is small, and only apply small thin amounts at a time, allowing the paint to dry between applications. Use of a hair dryer might prove useful if you are in a garage, but I would only use it to warm the metal before application, and if after, be very careful to not move the the wet paint.

One last thought. If on the verticle, the paint is more likely to run if it takes longer to dry, so keep the layers thin.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0