ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Post Springs Install Questions/Concerns

So installed Tein S.Tech Springs on my 07 Z4 today. 0.7"/0.6" drop, nothing substantial but I got them for Christmas and I didn't want it slammed anyways. So the install was identical to my E46 so it was fairly easy, by far the hardest part is the front suspension. The rear suspension took right around 20 minutes for both sides. The fronts I had to deal with spring compressors, which are a huge pain.

My question is, after installing the springs i noticed from my FRONT springs, somewhere around the wheel well area a noticeable burp/creek/something when i go over bumps/cracks in the road in the forward direction, not in the reverse direction though. No complaints on the lowering aspect of the spring, car definitely feels more planted, just worried about the noise.

A few people have credited it to the springs seating in; but my friend just put an Eibach Pro-Kit on his E46 M3 and did not have any creaking problems. My other friend with Neuspeed Sport 1.5"/1.5" springs on his Civic Si said he noticed the "creaking/burping" for the first few miles while the springs settled in.

Because it is on BOTH sides of my front suspension and also because I double checked that everything was torqued down properly, does anyone have any ideas what might be making the noise? Any common areas that are left out during a spring install that may cause the noise?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
sketchmunky
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

If the springs were settling, then shouldn't it make the noise in reverse as well? I'm can't recall if the springs in my other cars made the same noise, but I would imagine it's not a huge issue. By the way, please post pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Okay; re-torqued the three engine bay nuts, the sway bar linkage nut and the shock clamp nut today. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, nothing was loose, nothing was falling off. Car still makes a horrid noise sometimes when it goes over bumps/cracks in the road. I cant figure out what it is, I called Tein USA and they matched the part number on the spring for me so it's definitely the right spring. Anyone that's installed Tein springs or springs in general have any tips on what to look for to solve this problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

No experiences with Tein's, but I have experiences with H&R and Eibach springs. Double-check the bottom of the springs are seated corectly. The end of the bottom coil needs to be aligned into the little slot of the bottom spring perch. Make sure the bottom rubber spring pad is still in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:55 AM   #5
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Got it all fixed today, the top hat nut was apparently not tight enough. Figured out a great way to tighten the top hat nut. With the front suspension securely bolted into the car, take off the dust cap and insert a 21MM deep socket, using a vice grip // pipe wrench hold the socket (no wrench) and insert I believe it was an 8MM T-Handle allen wrench into the hole on the deep socket. Hold the socket still and turn the allen wrench counter-clockwise. I got it to about 5 threads showing on each side and my noise has completely gone away (OEM had 4 threads showing, had it at 4 and it was making noise). Just a heads up for anyone doing springs.

Also found a great tip on an E90 spring install guide which talks about using the jack to compress the spring while it's on the car then slipping on the spring compressors. That way you dont have to crank at the spring compressors for hours to get it compressed.

Another weird thing I noticed was both on E46 and E90 spring DIYs no body mentioned that the shock/piston had to be held while the top hat nut was tightened down, not sure if this is E85 specific or if just no one mentions it. But using my method reinstalling the top hat should be no problem.

Lastly, loving my Tein S.Tech springs, good drop, minimal @ 0.7/0.6 but still definite change in the stance and look. Cheapest springs as well.

Anyone know what the torque spec is for that top nut? I'm not sure how tight I'm supposed to put it at and no one mentions it, I'm assuming I could keep tightening the nut down, doubt the nut is going anywhere and the sound is totally gone. Also a torque spec on the control arm linkage would be great, friend told me 80 ft/lb but some DIY said it was at 200+ ft/lb or something ridiculous like that.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
sketchmunky
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I just installed my Eibach springs last night and I too encountered a creaking noise. It sounded as if it was coming from the dash but I tighten the top hat nut down a little more and the noise went away. I'm happy with the drop and suprised as well with the ride. I was expecting it to be harsh, especially with stock shocks, but it's livable. I'm still going to slap on the Koni's in a couple of months though.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Sweet, glad to hear you got it fixed as well. After i was my car, I'll photoshoot to show the drop. Surprising how much even half a thread can do on the top hat nut.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
Got it all fixed today, the top hat nut was apparently not tight enough. Figured out a great way to tighten the top hat nut. With the front suspension securely bolted into the car, take off the dust cap and insert a 21MM deep socket, using a vice grip // pipe wrench hold the socket (no wrench) and insert I believe it was an 8MM T-Handle allen wrench into the hole on the deep socket. Hold the socket still and turn the allen wrench counter-clockwise. I got it to about 5 threads showing on each side and my noise has completely gone away (OEM had 4 threads showing, had it at 4 and it was making noise). Just a heads up for anyone doing springs.

Also found a great tip on an E90 spring install guide which talks about using the jack to compress the spring while it's on the car then slipping on the spring compressors. That way you dont have to crank at the spring compressors for hours to get it compressed.

Another weird thing I noticed was both on E46 and E90 spring DIYs no body mentioned that the shock/piston had to be held while the top hat nut was tightened down, not sure if this is E85 specific or if just no one mentions it. But using my method reinstalling the top hat should be no problem.

Lastly, loving my Tein S.Tech springs, good drop, minimal @ 0.7/0.6 but still definite change in the stance and look. Cheapest springs as well.

Anyone know what the torque spec is for that top nut? I'm not sure how tight I'm supposed to put it at and no one mentions it, I'm assuming I could keep tightening the nut down, doubt the nut is going anywhere and the sound is totally gone. Also a torque spec on the control arm linkage would be great, friend told me 80 ft/lb but some DIY said it was at 200+ ft/lb or something ridiculous like that.

Thanks
If you had an impact gun, you wouldn't need the allen key and deep socket.
The torque is enough to spin the nut tight on without the inside spinning freely.

But yeah, your method works great for home mechanics without the complete set of pro garage tools.

As for torque specs, perhaps check with Tein? Or you could check with BMW.

Glad you got it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Oh right, ya an impact gun would've been great but for the low-tech DIYers my way works as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Good post. Just got my springs done today and I am hearing noises. I will give it a few more days and tighten the nuts as well. Thanks!
Appreciate 0