THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Steering change/feel with 15mm wheel spacers installed...questions

11-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Steering change/feel with 15mm wheel spacers installed...questions

So I installed the 15mm spacers at all 4 corners and have one trip to work. A couple of steering ovservations are causing me a little disconfort. First the steering has become much heavier than before and also fights you when trying to move off center. When you let the steering return it snaps back center so you are always fighting the resistanse when you start your turn in. Second when you go into a corner hard and fast the front end feels like it want to tuck into itself....that is kind of a motorcycle term.....it almost feels like the toe or camber was changed by adding the spacers.

So my question is...is this the normal reaction to moving the wheel center out 15mm each side? If so how has it negativly affected the steering properties and also tire wear. The car just does not feel a fluid, snappy and as planted as before. It kind of feels like I am fighting the steering and it is not flowing thru the turn...more like plowing/scrubbing so to speak.

I am not "car" suspension guy and know pretty much nothing. My experience has been with roadracing motorcycles and mountain biking so I might be freeting over nothing, What I do know is there is a very different feel with this change and not sure if it is a positive one. I want to remove them if there is the possibility of ill effects, if not I will leave on and get used to them.

Thanks for your feedback,

Eric

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 11-03-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
mteele
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I've never installed spacers, or heard people complain of those symptoms, but I would get them uninstalled immediately if it was my car
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
projekt7
hoonigan
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP

Adding track will alter quite a few things.

- Spring and damping rates will be reduced due to the change in motion ratio.
- Roll center will be raised, so roll couple decreases - a good thing. The car will have less roll and more bite once it takes a set in the corner.
- Scrub radius will be increased, which will have a direct impact on steering effort and feedback.
- Camber curve will change (mostly at the rear, on our cars).

There are a bunch of other smaller things, but these are the big ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

I have installed 8" ET34mm all round on std oem staggered Mich PSS.

Steering feel is better (more weight) and turn-in seems sharper.
Appreciate 0