Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question: E60 wheels on E92 328 coupe x-drive?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
RaffiZ
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe X-Drive

Question: E60 wheels on E92 328 coupe x-drive?

Hello everyone,
I’m new to the Forum, and have most recently entered the BMW flock.

I’ve got a wheel fitment question and was hoping that someone could help shed some light on this issue.

Here is the situation:
I have a 2011 328 coupe X-drive with the sport package. I’m currently running on the stock 18” wheels (style 189), 225/40 ET34 (8" front) and 255/35 ET37 (8.5" rear).

I recently bought a set of used 17” BMW wheels with practically brand new winter tires. At the time, I didn’t realize that the wheels were off an E60 5 series Xi. More specifically, the wheels are BMW style 243 with 225/50R17 tires and an offset of ET43 on all four. (center bore: 72.5mm) Rim size: 7.5x17"

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/243

I know that the proper 17” tire for my car should be 225/45, and that I will have a slight speedometer variance, but I’m fine with that.
My main concern is that the higher offset and larger sidewall will cause rubbing on the fenders or damage to the suspension struts, or both.

I would really appreciate your opinion and wisdom on this issue.

Thanks,
Raffi

Last edited by RaffiZ; 11-05-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

I like to use the 1010 offset calculator

http://http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Note that not only is the offset difference important, but also any change in the width of the rim. I'm not sure if both your old and new rims are the same width (7.5", 8", ???/)

With the data you gave, the wheel and rim will be 9mm closer to the strut and 9mm in from the fender as compared to your current wheel. This is about 1/3". I bet these will fit OK if you have a 7.5" width rim and had standard tires.

However, you've got a taller tire as well due to the higher aspect ratio. I think your best bet is to test fit one front wheel and see if anything rubs at full left / right steering lock. You'll need to also estimate how much suspension compression you'll get and leave space for that as well.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0