E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > E90 325i Headlights misaligned?

11-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
bmw27
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 325i

E90 325i Headlights misaligned?

Hey all,

New to the forum here!

Just recently bought myself an E90 325i just about two weeks now - absolutely loving it!

One thing I've noticed with this car is that the headlights don't seem right (pics attached). It seems like the headlights are misaligned, I've tried adjusting them and I think it's gotten to the point now where I don't know what I'm doing and stuffed them up even more
The thing is when we purchased it the roadworthy stated the headlights had to be re-aimed which was already done (apparently), although from the photos something just doesn't seem right. Unless it's normal for this model?

What does everyone think?

Cheers

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
iRoik
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Your headlights are slightly misaligned but it seems fine. That would definitely pass the roadworthy anyway.

It looks like you have xenon lights, which use projector housings. Projector housings result in a sharp cut-off rather than a fade.

Reflector:

Projector:

Now in Australia, we use the "Dot Pattern" illustrated in the diagram and picture (NOTE: we are RHD so it's the other way around. The cut-off on the right hand side will be lower as to not blind oncoming traffic.)

From your pictures, it seems like your right(left) headlight is lower(higher) than where it should be. As per Australian Design Rules, xenon lights must have auto-leveling and accordingly, they will raise/lower together depending on the gradient of the road.

There is however, a screw you can use to adjust headlights individually. If you pop the hood, you'll see a (+) screw that you can adjust - clockwise up, anticlockwise down. Pictures of the screw: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=20

Headlight Leveling procedure:
What to do (I know it's a bit more effort than just making them even, but please do it since blinding other drivers is dangerous and annoying):
  1. Remove all heavy items from the car and boot as this will affect the result.
  2. Park your car 1m/1 stick's length (don't worry this will make sense as you read on) from a flat vertical surface (garage wall will do) - must be on level ground.
  3. Turn your headlights on.
  4. Hold the ruler/straight stick horizontal from the centre of the lamp to the wall, and mark that spot (masking tape is fine) on the wall where the ruler/stick touches it. The idea is that you're marking exactly where the lamp centre is, on the wall.
  5. Reverse back to 7.5m away from the wall (measure it).
  6. Adjust the low beam so that the horizontal cut-off is just under the marking on the wall.
  7. Tweak the other side so that the cut-offs are even.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Is your driveway on a slope?

Otherwise that cutoff is fucked. You can't see past the end of your driveway, let alone the road in front of you at 100km/h.

Look at some youtube videos that show you how to adjust them. Its really not hard.
Appreciate 0