THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Stripped lug bolt, next steps?

11-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

Stripped lug bolt, next steps?

So, long story short, my car went through a repair facility in NJ to swap out a damaged wheel. A few weeks ago I purchased a winter wheel and tire set from tire rack and decided to swap out the summer ones today. Every wheel was fine except the damaged one. Even using a 300 ft pound impact wrench, I still had trouble with those bolts.

One bolt still didn't budge, and so I decided to try a longer wrench for more leverage and it stripped the bolt.

Any advice on the next steps? Is this something a dealer should take care off(seeing as how the torque spec on those bolts is just 100ft pounds) or do I just go to a local tire shop and see what they say?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buumer View Post
So, long story short, my car went through a repair facility in NJ to swap out a damaged wheel. A few weeks ago I purchased a winter wheel and tire set from tire rack and decided to swap out the summer ones today. Every wheel was fine except the damaged one. Even using a 300 ft pound impact wrench, I still had trouble with those bolts.

One bolt still didn't budge, and so I decided to try a longer wrench for more leverage and it stripped the bolt.

Any advice on the next steps? Is this something a dealer should take care off(seeing as how the torque spec on those bolts is just 100ft pounds) or do I just go to a local tire shop and see what they say?
BMW rims and bolts are notorious for fusing to the hubs. When I did my own swaps of Winter wheels I use to always have issues with getting rims off. Not going t o help you in this situation, but I always cleaned my hubs, bolts and rims with WD-40 before I put them on. After doing this for a season I never had issues again. In your case I'd probably take it to the dealer as it sounds like they were over torqued when it was repaired.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Any tire shop or mechanic should do. You can use those dead bolt/nut tools.

I always anti-seize wheel hubs and use a little on rusty bolts and always use the correct torque specs
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'm confused, so the bolt head isn't rounded but the lug bolt threads are stripped? Is the bolt just turning in the hub without loosening? which can't be right. Or is the new lug bolt not able to thread into the hub
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

Ended up dropping by the dealer and they were really awesome about the whole thing. They replaced 3 bolts on that wheel which I had to wrestle with because they were starting to get worn, and they also had to drill out the problem bolt. All in all it took almost a half an hour, but alas, the bolts have been retorqued and I was able to swap all wheels for these black ones with blizzak lm-32s.

Appreciate 0