ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
SDTopless
I just wanna do my car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 350z RevUp =)

My aFe Intake Review

Hi, I actually spent the money on an aFe intake and thought I would like to share it with you all. I installed the intake myself after I had my Milltek (catback) exhaust put in. To say for any sort of "gains" from my exhaust that I experienced/noticed for myself would be like me trying out for American Idol and believing I could sing (ok bad analogy). However, it wasn't until after I installed the intake that I "felt" something. Here's my take...

First off, it took ~30+ minutes (w/ my friend who happened to be there) to install. There were a few bumps in the road, but nothing much that we couldn't handle. You get an aluminum cover/top, heat shield, screws, filter, filter fitter(?), screws, instructions , and STICKERS!

Looks: It makes a nice looking addition to under your hood with the aluminum top & hyper black-coated heat shield. Not to mention, the filter inside is cone-shaped, ginormous, and maintenance free (however, you should always clean your filter). Also, from what it looks like, it has more surface area than a drop-in filter. Plus, the volume that's encased by the heat shield is greater than the old filter box.

Sound: That nice little whistle lets you pretend you have a supercharger. It's very subtle at first, but once you start revving and approaching at 1800 rpm you get excited . It's not until you hit the 2100 rpm mark that you realize it's actually working . You notice the whistling becoming much more sharp and distinct. And when you let off the gas you hear your intake let out a sigh, only gasping for another thrilling breath (cheesy).

Performance (the touchy subject): 1st thing I "felt" was that right from the beginning you notice your throttle is more responsive. It's kind of like the difference between from when you have Sport mode on versus not. The intake brings you closer to that mode w/o the button pressed. 2nd thing was from 2000-3400 rpm you feel your powerband smoothed out, but then you just realize @ 3000+ VANOS had just come & broke through the door .

Overall, I would say aFe intake is a worthy investment for these reasons:
PROS- Looks nice, seems better/more functional than a drop-in filter, sounds great, and you kinda' get to feel it!

What you might not like are:
CONS- INSTALL ! It is custom fit, but not exact. You may find yourself spending a bit more time custom fabricating little widgets [from crap around your household (aka cardboard & tape)] to fit into certain nooks & crannies so that the whole thing doesn't shift, scratch, or rub on anything. Also, I had to twist some of the intake tubing to accommodate for fitment into the heat shield. Lastly, there are openings at the sides of the heat shield (to the engine bay), but not at all significant enough to have performance affected by hot air entering in.

Feedback welcome.
Also, I'm willing to go further in depth with the analyzation of why aFe's intake may be better than just a drop-in filter.

**NOTE: This is all my subjective review. User experience may vary. I like it, you may not. Sorry for no pictures.
      01-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
jpass12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Garage List
2004 Z4 2.5  [6.00]
I've had mine since last April and I'm pleased with it.
      01-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
LAbull
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

How much and where did you get it from?

2009 Cayenne GTS on it's way.....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
BurnouTT-M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M/// Coupe

The intake only fits on the 3.0, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
LAbull
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

boooo..nevermind.

2009 Cayenne GTS on it's way.....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

i sold mine the week after i got it.

felt absolutely NO noticeable difference and not worth $300+
      01-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Z4 or Z4M?

If Z4 M54 or N52? Thanks

N52 has the MAF sensor built into the intake box top not on the connecting tube so the intake option would need a new slot for the MAF for it to work, which is why I'm guessing there isn't one for the N52 yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

thanks!

if i am planning to buy this:

1 where is the best place to buy it?
2 where would i go to install it, if i don't do DIY's?

Thanks

Rocky
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Best place to buy it would be where ever you can find it the cheapest. Also any shop that works on BMWs should be able to install it for you. I think if you have a hint of mechanical knowledge you should be able to DIY it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
SDTopless
I just wanna do my car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 350z RevUp =)

I got this for my '03 Z4 3.0i. The gist of installing is basically taking stuff out & putting that thing in.

I got this from **********s.com and paid $332.89 (tax included). Shipping was free, however they kinda screwed up my order a bit, but nonetheless I got it!