EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

11-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
davidkawai
Private
Rep
Drives: EVO IX, M3 F80 MW/SO 6MT

Mineral White repaint problem?

So I just placed order for a mineral white M3 . I have been reading the forum people comparing MW vs AW. I like MW because it looks more shinny but then some posts here are saying that even reputable body shops cant match the MW color when repainting it.
This makes me worry if I cant even repaint for damage in the future. Am I over worry or this is true that MW is impossible to have the repaint match ?
Should I change my order to AW because of this ?

Any thought is welcome

Last edited by davidkawai; 11-17-2014 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
moonsault270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 F82

MW is a very hard color to match. I dont know if it is "impossible" but I would defintely worry if the vehicle sustained damage.

That being said I went ahead and ordered MW anyway. Ive done a few cosmetic mods and left the orange and red reflectors as is due to the fact the match always looks slightly off to me.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      11-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

I saw a brand new MW 3-Series on a dealer's lot which didn't have matching body panels. Different materials have a different effect on certain paints.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
tomespo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

There are different variants for each color. It can be matched
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

"Chip" happens....fuhgedabouddit !!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Best thing is to not damage your car so it won't need a repaint. If you like MW, get it.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 1
CS328Ci29.50
      11-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Convert / 2015 M3

I had the dealer painted my front lip spoiler in MW. The match was really good. The painter said that when he first painted it, it had a slight yellow tint to it. He had the BMW paint rep looked at it and was able to get a very good match by blending the paint colors. Hope this help with your concerns.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3, 2014 F15 X5

It's not difficult to match close enough to fool the human eye if the body shop is "blending" the repaired surface into the factory finish on non-damaged surface. Without the ability to "fan/blend etc" -- e.g. reflector deletes, it becomes much much more difficult. It's likely that any damage to a panel or bumper would involve blending. So- I wouldn't stress. But, you would need to find a reputable body shop with a pretty experienced paint guy in the booth!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuleiii
So I just placed order for a mineral white M3 . I have been reading the forum people comparing MW vs AW. I like MW because it looks more shinny but then some posts here are saying that even reputable body shops cant match the MW color when repainting it.
This makes me worry if I cant even repaint for damage in the future. Am I over worry or this is true that MW is impossible to have the repaint match ?
Should I change my order to AW because of this ?

Any thought is welcome
You can order touch paint specific to the paint color from BMW. They will run around 25 bucks.I have a mineral white metallic F80... The color "pops" in the sunlight. Alpine white is too white for my taste. If you are really worried about paint chips, then purchase a protective wrap for the vehicle. There are numerous threads on this site regarding this option.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
Crnamacka
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

That's three stage pearl paint job,it has nothing to do with metallics..like somebody says
it's possible to get very good color match,but all depends of painter and color brand that they use...I would go for it....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I don't have experience with this color but I do have experience with body shops, I had my E90 for a few months and got hit on the rear right quite hard (15k of damage). I did some research and learned that BMW collision repair centers are the only way to go for our cars. The factory requires that everything meet factory specs or they cannot leave, my insurance company was not happy because they had figured it would cost 9k to fix my car but these folks refused to let certain parts go without being replaced and really did a fantastic job. For these reasons I wouldn't experiment with anyone else if you need paint or body work.
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #12
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

It's a pain in the ass to match for sure. Just wait until some low life steals one of your tow hook covers!!!

But really, why live your life in fear of things that could happen? Buy the colour you want and ENJOY it.

This is my second MW car and wouldn't have it any other way.... except the last one, perhaps with some super glue on the towhook cover.

Last edited by canlefty; 11-17-2014 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: question mark
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      11-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #13
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

So from what I've seen and understood about this color is that it's definitely harder to match but possible as long as the body shop takes the time.

Most of the people you heard from are probably judging based on the fact that their painted side reflectors didn't match, and it's true, but that's because the color differs slightly even from car to car that was built by BMW. So unless the body shop has the car their to keep testing and comparing with YOUR car, it wont match. And that's why a lot of those painted side reflectors which third parties use the same mix to paint them all seem to match well on some cars and badly on others.

So again to answer your question, it's definitely a challenging color to match but not impossible.

I personally love the color and don't care much that my side reflectors don't perfectly match, however if god forbid I ever needed a major part of the car re-painted, I'll be willing to spend the extra $ to get it done right.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #14
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canlefty View Post
It's a pain in the ass to match for sure. Just wait until some low life steals one of your tow hook covers!!!

But really, why live your life in fear of things that could happen? Buy the colour you want and ENJOY it.

This is my second MW car and wouldn't have it any other way.... except the last one, perhaps with some super glue on the towhook cover.
Back when I had my E92 335i I thought that mine were also being stolen. It turned out to be that they tend to fall off during the car wash due to the high pressured water. Not sure if that could have also been the case with you.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #15
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki
Quote:
Originally Posted by canlefty View Post

Back when I had my E92 335i I thought that mine were also being stolen. It turned out to be that they tend to fall off during the car wash due to the high pressured water. Not sure if that could have also been the case with you.
read: superglue! Totally likely fell off, but it made me feel better thinking someone stole it for an AW e92 and it ended up looking shit.... like the meh paint match the replacement covers got -- oh yes, I got several. Pesky thieves! err, washer nozzles.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crnamacka View Post
That's three stage pearl paint job,it has nothing to do with metallics..like somebody says
it's possible to get very good color match,but all depends of painter and color brand that they use...I would go for it....
@Crnamcka: The paint name and code is Mineralweiss Metallic (A96). How do you know it is not a metallic paint but pearl? I am asking because I am looking for a body shop to paint two spots on my front bumper. The first shop refused to do spot repair due to won't be able to match the paint and wanted to paint the whole bumper and blend hood and fenders!?? Estimated $1800 to repair 50 square inches of scratched bumper.

If you know a place that can do the job a PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #17
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

My wife's Explorer is a three stage pearl white.

Some dickhead slammed their door on the front quarter panel/door area. The body shop did a great job with it, and you cant tell that it's there. Even after having paint correction(polish), wax and sealant done on the entire car as an Xmas gift for the wife.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #18
HOUSE Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

The issue isn't necessarily with Mineral White specifically - it's an issue of any finish with three stage paint.

By nature it's more difficult to match. A highly reputable body shop can do a really good job with it but since it's just so pearlescent light is constantly hitting different panels at different angles that you'll see slight variation in color.

I would say go for it if you prefer it over AW - cant' live life thinking about what is going to happen if you ever need a repaint...!
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      02-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #19
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

honestly, I'd go AW. I've seen MW in person, and I don't find it impressive enough vs. AW to spend an extra $550 for a paint job that's impossible to perfectly match. save yourself a few bucks and the anxiety and get AW. I had AW on my e92 and never regretted it for a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #20
yosman8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no oil

The problem with MW (I have MW on my F80) is that not all MW cars are the same. There are a lot of complaints about matching the color for reflectors and the problem there stems from the fact that every MW car from the factor is different. IND matched a MW bumper that a customer donated and while it was a perfect match for that bumper, it wasn't for every MW car because of the variance from the factory. Therefore, theoretically, if you get in an accident and go to a good paint shop, they should be able to match your individual tint of MW. Hope this helps . You're going to love the color btw.
      02-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #21
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Best thing is to not damage your car so it won't need a repaint. If you like MW, get it.
If it could solely depend on you, and you only...
cotmfk2023.50
      10-12-2016, 07:10 AM   #22
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

I'm dealing with some trouble on my New 2 series vert...
The car was tapped on the lot I guess and it was a good paint match for a lot repair (who knew that this happens so much on big lots?!) I didn't notice it until I took the car home and went to do a new car prep on the paint.
Dealer cut me a check to a BMW Certified collision center to fix the problem (clear coat issues) and they did the repair ....and it came out worse! $1500 for nothing. The paint doesn't match and they won't do anything for me because they think they did a "better color" match...I disagree. Left with me head shrugged down to the ground. Told my dealer and waiting to see what they have to say. Not giving up on this tho. It must look like it did upon delivery day atleast then it looked better than now. The clear has fisheyes and such under halogen shop lighting too.. WTH. Disaster with a new car! Still have yet to enjoy the car.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0