E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 100% Stock - Interested in a Tune

11-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i xDrive

100% Stock - Interested in a Tune

So I bought my car a couple months ago now and absolutely LOVE it. The power still amazes me and I never get bored of driving this beast...

Anyways, I have started looking into tunes/performance mods I can do on the car. I probably won't be doing anything until the spring (march-ish) but I want to start weighing my options and setting a fund aside so when the time comes I can have it all ready

My car is:
2012 335i xDrive Coupe with N55 engine.

I have looked into the COBB accessport, and unfortunately it isn't available on my car However, one interesting tune I found was this: http://burgertuning.com/BMW_N55_Turb..._Upgrades.html

Now it says there are a couple available for the N55 engine (335i), so I might be able to get it... looking at the 2 best options, I have:

1) N55 Stage 1 $379.00
Simple plug and play installation with power gains of up to 40hp and 50tq to the wheels on an otherwise stock car.

2) E Series N55 JB4 $529.00
Adds up to 60hp to the wheels (80hp crank) on a completely stock car or up to 100hp to the wheels (120hp crank) on a fully modified car.

Since I am completely new to the modding world, can anyone elaborate on how easy these tunes are to do by yourself? Looking at those 2 options, I would probably want 2) because of the added power and potential for more if I mod the car more... its worth the extra $ IMO.

Now my questions are...
1) has anyone tried those tunes? Are they any good?
2) how does it work if I want to sell it a few months after I get it? Is that even possible?
3) I have the BMW warranty and then CPO extending until April 2018... will this void the warranty?
4) what are some alternative tunes compatible with my car I can look into?

Thanks!
2012 e92 335i xDrive | Purchased Sept. 27/14 @ 46000km | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Carbon Fibre Aluminum Trim | M-Sport Package | Executive Package | Connected Technology Package | M-Sport Rims w/ RFT | CPO Warranty until April 2018/160k

Follow me on Instagram for daily pics! @nick.335i
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon12 View Post
So I bought my car a couple months ago now and absolutely LOVE it. The power still amazes me and I never get bored of driving this beast...

Anyways, I have started looking into tunes/performance mods I can do on the car. I probably won't be doing anything until the spring (march-ish) but I want to start weighing my options and setting a fund aside so when the time comes I can have it all ready

My car is:
2012 335i xDrive Coupe with N55 engine.

I have looked into the COBB accessport, and unfortunately it isn't available on my car However, one interesting tune I found was this: http://burgertuning.com/BMW_N55_Turb..._Upgrades.html

Now it says there are a couple available for the N55 engine (335i), so I might be able to get it... looking at the 2 best options, I have:

1) N55 Stage 1 $379.00
Simple plug and play installation with power gains of up to 40hp and 50tq to the wheels on an otherwise stock car.

Adds up to 60hp to the wheels (80hp crank) on a completely stock car or up to 100hp to the wheels (120hp crank) on a fully modified car.

Since I am completely new to the modding world, can anyone elaborate on how easy these tunes are to do by yourself? Looking at those 2 options, I would probably want 2) because of the added power and potential for more if I mod the car more... its worth the extra $ IMO.

Now my questions are...
2) how does it work if I want to sell it a few months after I get it? Is that even possible?
3) I have the BMW warranty and then CPO extending until April 2018... will this void the warranty?

Thanks!
Literally thousands of people are running a jb4. It's easily the most popular tune for 335's (especially for the ones that aren't supported by Cobb. It works great, the extra power is awesome, very easy to install and uninstall, lots of cool feature, very safe for your car and the dealer won't know about it as long as you take it off prior to taking it in. Skip the stage one and go for the jb4. Worth every penny and it'll keep that grin on your face for a long time. As far as alternatives - there really are none for your car. At least nothing that can touch a jb4
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

1) N55 Stage 1 $379.00

Now my questions are...
Since you are new to the modding world, I suggest you learn how to use the search function on the forum.

1. JB4 is very popular across all engines, N54, N55, etc. I have an N55 (2011 335i purchased used earlier this year) with JB4 and all I can say is that you won't recognize the car after its installed. Get the stage 2.

2. I'm sure you can sell it. Yes, its possible - have you noticed the "for sale" section of the forum?

3. It will void your warranty. (Look into Dinan if you want to keep your warranty.) Most people remove the JB4 before taking it to the dealer and then re-install it after.

4. JB4 is a proven tune - thousands and thousands sold. Just get it and be done. Check into Dinan if you want a warranty friendly option. Much more expensive, but some find it worthwhile.
      11-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.a.r.k.u.s View Post
Literally thousands of people are running a jb4. It's easily the most popular tune for 335's (especially for the ones that aren't supported by Cobb. It works great, the extra power is awesome, very easy to install and uninstall, lots of cool feature, very safe for your car and the dealer won't know about it as long as you take it off prior to taking it in. Skip the stage one and go for the jb4. Worth every penny and it'll keep that grin on your face for a long time. As far as alternatives - there really are none for your car. At least nothing that can touch a jb4
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
Since you are new to the modding world, I suggest you learn how to use the search function on the forum.

1. JB4 is very popular across all engines, N54, N55, etc. I have an N55 (2011 335i purchased used earlier this year) with JB4 and all I can say is that you won't recognize the car after its installed. Get the stage 2.

2. I'm sure you can sell it. Yes, its possible - have you noticed the "for sale" section of the forum?

3. It will void your warranty. (Look into Dinan if you want to keep your warranty.) Most people remove the JB4 before taking it to the dealer and then re-install it after.

4. JB4 is a proven tune - thousands and thousands sold. Just get it and be done. Check into Dinan if you want a warranty friendly option. Much more expensive, but some find it worthwhile.
Thanks guys. Looks like JB4 is the way to go...

How easy is it to add/remove if I have issues and want to use the warranty? Could I technically be screwed if I can't reflash for whatever reason
2012 e92 335i xDrive | Purchased Sept. 27/14 @ 46000km | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Carbon Fibre Aluminum Trim | M-Sport Package | Executive Package | Connected Technology Package | M-Sport Rims w/ RFT | CPO Warranty until April 2018/160k

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:

How easy is it to add/remove if I have issues and want to use the warranty? Could I technically be screwed if I can't reflash for whatever reason
I haven't heard of anyone getting their warranty voided with the JB4... All depends on your dealer to be honest. Just put it on map 0 when you go in for service.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon12
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post

Once you've done it a couple times, it takes 15 min to remove. There is no flashing. The jb4 intercepts various different sensors so you just unplug it and plug the original connectors back in. You could literally remove it on the side of the road with basic tools if you had to in case your car broke down and you were waiting for the tow truck.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
I haven't heard of anyone getting their warranty voided with the JB4... All depends on your dealer to be honest. Just put it on map 0 when you go in for service.
Do you think it's wise to check with them before purchasing it?

Quote:
Once you've done it a couple times, it takes 15 min to remove. There is no flashing. The jb4 intercepts various different sensors so you just unplug it and plug the original connectors back in. You could literally remove it on the side of the road with basic tools if you had to in case your car broke down and you were waiting for the tow truck.
But what about the actual flashing? Isn't some of the software modified?

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You can ask your service advisor if you wanted to. But to my knowledge they can't void your warranty unless they can prove the jb4 caused whatever problem you took it in for.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #9
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Read through the hundreds of posts on this topic before starting a new thread
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
No not with the jb4. Doesn't affect your software. Just hijackes sensors and the canbus but your software is untouched
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

[QUOTE=blackdragon12;16968975
Now my questions are...

Thanks![/QUOTE]

1/ Thousands of people , they are very good
2/ You can remove it and sell ( But you wont )
3/ Just uninstall it before your dealer visit (based on this fact, stage 1 might be a better option for you since it is easier to uninstall).
4/ Just get a Jb

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:

You'll want to completely remove the Jb4 for dealership visits. I don't recommend just putting it in map 0 unless you know that your dealership doesn't care. They can and most likely will refuse warranty work if you leave it installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys. Looks like JB4 is the way to go... How easy is it to add/remove if I have issues and want to use the warranty? Could I technically be screwed if I can't reflash for whatever reason
Please go the manufacturer websites and do some research.

Cobb does a flash, e.g., reprogramming the ECU. BMW has started encrypting the ECU code, which is why Cobb won't work on newer BMW models.

JB4 does not do a flash. It is a piggyback tune - it plugs into the sensors, intercepts the signals, and then gets the ECU to do what it wants by modifying the data from the sensors. So the ECU is not flashed. I am not mechanically inclined and it took me about an hour to install the JB4 the first time. I can do it in about 30 minutes now.
      11-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #14
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
You can ask your service advisor if you wanted to. But to my knowledge they can't void your warranty unless they can prove the jb4 caused whatever problem you took it in for.
Do a search and expand your knowledge rather than making such irresponsible statements. You obviously haven't seen the many posts on the forum where people's warranty was voided just because they had an intake or a downpipe.

Your "knowledge" is a reference to the Magnusson-Moss Act, which says that the dealer has to show a causal relationship between an aftermarket part and any damage/failure. However, any tune will increase boost levels so the dealer can deny engine-related warranty work if they spot a tune. And as I said, based on posts on this forum, dealers have denied warranty work after finding even basic mods, such as an intake or a downpipe.

Not only can the dealer deny a warranty claim, but they can blacklist the VIN so that no further warranty claims can be made. It is not worth risking all of that - it only takes 30 mins to remove the JB4 before taking it to the dealer.

Last edited by snaimpally; 11-22-2014 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #15
tkong
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Read through the hundreds of posts on this topic before starting a new thread
x2
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #16
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally
Quote:
Do a search and expand your knowledge rather than making such irresponsible statements. You obviously haven't seen the many posts on the forum where people's warranty was voided just because they had an intake or a downpipe.

Your "knowledge" is a reference to the Magnusson-Moss Act, which says that the dealer has to show a causal relationship between an aftermarket part and any damage/failure. However, any tune will increase boost levels so the dealer can deny engine-related warranty work if they spot a tune. And as I said, based on posts on this forum, dealers have denied warranty work after finding even basic mods, such as an intake or a downpipe.

Not only can the dealer deny a warranty claim, but they can blacklist the VIN so that no further warranty claims can be made. It is not worth risking all of that - it only takes 30 mins to remove the JB4 before taking it to the dealer.
Like I said depends On your dealer I am well informed on that act so no need for that
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. I watched a quick setup video yesterday on JB4, and it doesn't seem too hard, just alot of stuff to remove to access the sensors. This is probably the best tune as I can always remove it before warranty work!

Are there any ECU flashes that are compatible with my 2012 model? I just want to weigh my options.. I have also heard DINAN is the official tuner and it won't void warranty, so any experiences of that?

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #18
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. I watched a quick setup video yesterday on JB4, and it doesn't seem too hard, just alot of stuff to remove to access the sensors. This is probably the best tune as I can always remove it before warranty work!

Are there any ECU flashes that are compatible with my 2012 model? I just want to weigh my options.. I have also heard DINAN is the official tuner and it won't void warranty, so any experiences of that?
IN my opinion Dinan is too expensive for what it offers but some people do like the warranty fact.

Talk to your service department see how lenient they are.
Appreciate 0