E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW Extended Warranty- Is It Worth It?

11-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
JM85
Captain
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 + AW E90

BMW Extended Warranty- Is It Worth It?

The Warranty is due to expire on the Mrs car & I've had the letter through asking if I want to extend it

Have any of you guys got the BMW Extended Warranty? if so what level of cover & was it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Kuroblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

I went for the Comprehensive cover, £35 per month. Have a quick search there's a good thread detailing pricing and levels of cover.

I had around £800 of work done today, that cost me £100 excess, so worth it just one month into the policy!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Yes! In my opinion, no other warranty comes as close to the Mondial BMW one.

I currently pay £49 per month for the top level of cover (£250 excess, no emergency), which might seem expensive, but peace of mind is important to me.

Make sure you buy it before it hits 60k, as the price pretty much doubles once that mileage has been reached.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Like all insurance policies, you're buying peace of mind. So what's the value to you of knowing that should something happen you'll be covered?

In terms of examples on payout, I got around £2,000 of work done under extended warranty on my last 320d without fuss and I paid £40/month. I also had the fuel breather pipe leak (well documented on these forums) which is explicitly not covered by any of the extended warranties. I paid for parts & labour but because I bought the car AUC and had the comprehensive extended warranty, the dealer (Knights North Staffs) managed to get BMW to pay the entire bill as goodwill & I was refunded. I wouldn't say it's a cast iron guarantee that things get sorted, but it certainly seems to help.

I've now got a 330d that I've had for 12 months & again taken the warranty at £60/month (higher premium due to higher starting mileage I assume.) I don't do nearly as many miles these days but if something went seriously wrong I couldn't afford a huge bill so I see it as "saving up". Or you could save the money yourself!

From what I've seen and experienced it seems that if you do decide the warranty's a good thing, anything other than comprehensive is false economy. The paperwork is painless if the work's done at a dealer and although I imagine it's different at each dealer I've always been given nice courtesy cars with no issue, sometimes for a week or so with no prior notice i.e. they found work needed doing during regular service.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
So many threads on this, its hard to know which one to dig up.

Just to re-iterate the quality of the BMW warranty with breakdown.

On Sunday night I went out for fuel so I didn't have to queue on Monday morning. On way back after filling up, oil temps were up so I gave it a little bit of beans, but nothing wild, and the engine temp warning light came on. The car would barely put any power down at all after another 30 seconds or so. By the time I got home it would barely move at 1200 rpm and I managed to just keep it rolling enough to make it home. The fan on the front was stuck of full blow. The thing is amazingly loud, almost sounds like its preparing to take off.

I phoned BMW Emergency Service, and they sent out a guy on a truck to read codes, but the guy with generic reader couldn't find anything, he said this is common with BMWs. Didn't really know what to do as I didn't know where I stood and didn't have another car. So I sent the truck on its way and called BMW again.

I explained the situation and they said they can arrange me a car, and I got a call from enterprise. As it was Sunday and everywhere was shut, they offered to taxi me to Heathrow to get one, as it was the only place open nearby, or taxi me to work in the morning and deliver one there! I decided to pass on that and wait for the morning, as I'd had a few beers and I didn't know when my car would be towed. Mine got towed away on Sunday night, and to the garage of my choice. Monday morning I got picked up by enterprise in a 64 plate 320d and taken to sign a bit of paperwork and sent on my way.

Every time I spoke to them they were very polite and helpful too, the service was absolutely excellent.

£40/month well spent. The bill for water pump change would have been £1000 alone. So even if this was the only thing in 2 years (its not) I'd still be breaking even. Another plus is that you get genuine BMW parts and a 2 year guarantee on all work carried out.

If you can get the pre 60,000 miles plan, don't bother with any other warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

This has been covered loads of times. Have a search on here. The short answer is yes. Other folks prefer to put 50 squid away per month into an emergency pot they can dip into for repairs. You can't run a bmw on a shoe string budget and things do fail with time so yes make sure you have a warranty or savings. I had my DME replaced last month and I paid 250 excess while parts and labor came to an eye watering 1800.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I've always had BMW warranty for the first couple of years of ownership on all my cars.

The 335i one I took out a few months ago. It ended up going in about a month ago for the breather pipe leak on the fuel tank and ended up being that with the heater fan and 2 new turbos all for the princely sum of £100 excess. They even left me with 3/4 of a tank of petrol as I'd emptied it for the breather pipe issue so it actually only cost me about £50.

I've had about 9k worth of warranty work on my E60 M5 in a 6 month period and about 5k on the X5. Then there was blown turbo on my 530d.......etc.......etc........etc.

So it's worth it's weight in gold.

Oh and all my cars were modded when they went in for warranty work so as long as you have a good rapor with your dealer it's all good.
      06-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Owned mine from 20k miles now 95k
- new turbos
- 2 rear wheels
- waterpump
- seatbelt butler replacement
- intercooler pipe replacement
- vano's
- injectors
- on my 3rd HPFP
- LPFP

I'm sure i forgot some items but my total claim cost is around £8k. paid 3 years for warranty a no excess.But those are bmw full price, probably half of that from an indy?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I had BMW warranty at 43/month with 100 excess. Cancelled that now as i don't think there's any point as i have changed turbos, FMIC, removed DPF and mapped. Also coilovers, aftermarket brakes and fluid.

I don't think any dealership would cover me on the engine, drivetrain, exhaust, suspension or brakes, so just cancelled it and putting that money away.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #10
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

Just on the back of this, and sorry to jack the thread, but Ive got a 335i with 95k. Its had turbos replaced 6months ago.
Is it worth getting warranty at that mileage? Im concerned with this whole wear and tear business since at that mileage Mondial could argue that most of the rectifications needed would be wear and tear?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #11
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
If they were replaced under BMW warranty then they are guaranteed for 2 years anyway.

They are quite fare with wear and tear. Turbos should last lifetime of car, as should drive shafts etc. But other parts like suspension, its not so clear cut, at and 100k they will likely say its wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
imy
Captain
Rep

BMW lifetime I Believe is 100k miles? Same thing with their transmission oil. Lifetime guarantee which equated to 100k miles. Will start to become a problem now that the e90 is getting on a bit.

Im not sure whether the turbos were replaced under warranty. They paid for the parts and the previous owner paid for the labour.

At this point I may be better off just putting money in the bank then.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Thinking now I may cancel mine and put the money into another bank account...
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 02:37 AM   #14
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imy View Post
BMW lifetime I Believe is 100k miles? Same thing with their transmission oil. Lifetime guarantee which equated to 100k miles. Will start to become a problem now that the e90 is getting on a bit.

Im not sure whether the turbos were replaced under warranty. They paid for the parts and the previous owner paid for the labour.

At this point I may be better off just putting money in the bank then.
Imy, as with the X5 ownership you know that lifetime in BMW eyes is actually like 60k miles as we have at length discussed regarding the gearbox oil etc. As the turbos were payed for in part by the owner then it wouldn't have been warranty cover so they will be covered under the 2 year guarantee.
      07-10-2015, 04:27 AM   #15
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Just bear in mind the costs people quote for repairs done under warranty are BMW dealer prices. If you do the work at a local independent or your self the costs are much less.

I paid about £450 including parts when my water pump went , HPFP was about £250 fitted.

Having said that, if I hadn't modified my 335i I probably would have kept the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #16
imy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Imy, as with the X5 ownership you know that lifetime in BMW eyes is actually like 60k miles as we have at length discussed regarding the gearbox oil etc. As the turbos were payed for in part by the owner then it wouldn't have been warranty cover so they will be covered under the 2 year guarantee.
Raj tbh I never followed the gear box oil threads. I just always assumed sealed for life meant 100k. 60k seems very low!

Regardless - I should have asked but I didn't as to why bmw would pay for the turbos and the previous owner paid for labour? Since it has a full bmw history perhaps it was a goodwill gesture?

I also find it ridiculous my dealer wants to charge £411 for an oil and spark plug service!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #17
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imy View Post
Raj tbh I never followed the gear box oil threads. I just always assumed sealed for life meant 100k. 60k seems very low!

Regardless - I should have asked but I didn't as to why bmw would pay for the turbos and the previous owner paid for labour? Since it has a full bmw history perhaps it was a goodwill gesture?

I also find it ridiculous my dealer wants to charge £411 for an oil and spark plug service!
It does sound like it was a goodwill gesture on the dealers part. Perhaps a misdiagnosis or something precious so they've tried to compromise. At the end of the day previous owner paid the dealers for the work in part so it wasn't a warranty replacement and so they'll be covered for 2 years.
      10-27-2015, 05:41 AM   #18
ROBS3
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Just been looking into getting a warranty for my 330i and came across this thread. Can I just ask - is the Mondial warranty the same as this: www.bmw-warranty.co.uk ?
Also, can the policy price be negotiated or is the price you see on their website the price you pay?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #19
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

I also have the £43 a month with £100 excess
I bought it about a week before I started getting Issues so my injectors or valve cover weren't covered when they both broke ( I had to pay out £1200 in parts alone, which is more than a few months payments would have cost).

However for a 335i I would recommend getting it as the cost of repairs is eye watering without it.

In hindsight I should have bought it as soon as I bought the car.
      10-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #20
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS3 View Post
Just been looking into getting a warranty for my 330i and came across this thread. Can I just ask - is the Mondial warranty the same as this: www.bmw-warranty.co.uk ?
Also, can the policy price be negotiated or is the price you see on their website the price you pay?
Thanks
Tat is the Mondial warranty.
As far as I am aware that is the price you pay and can't be negotiated.
      10-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #21
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

You didnt have to spend £1200 though. You chose to replace all 6 injectors, when it was unlikely that all 6 were actually faulty...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #22
ROBS3
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Thanks for the info I'll get onto it sooner rather than later!
Appreciate 0