R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

12-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
ttbullet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Windshield cleaner

Any recommendations on a good windshield cleaner?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

There was a guy I used to run into occasionally who really got it clean for just a couple of bucks but I think he got a job and moved off the streets.
      12-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
drdave
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

If you want to get really obsessive with your exterior windows, try this: clean the windshield well with bug scrubber and water. Spray Invisible Glass (by Stoner) and dry with paper towels. Spray more Invisible Glass and go over the windshield with a fresh razor blade. Spray and wipe clean again. Use Griot's Garage windshield cleaning clay with your favorite brand of Quik Detailer as lubrication. Wipe and clean any remaining residue with Invisible Glass. Then use Griot's windshield polish over all windows. Do not let it dry, or you will have a lot of dust that's a pain to clean up. Spray with a bit of water and wipe clean. Then apply Rain-X or the like and buff out. You will have glass as shiny and smooth as your paint after it's been detailed. I do this once a month and it looks amazing. I get as many compliments on the glass as I do on my paint, which I am also ridiculously into detailing.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdave View Post
If you want to get really obsessive with your exterior windows, try this: clean the windshield well with bug scrubber and water. Spray Invisible Glass (by Stoner) and dry with paper towels. Spray more Invisible Glass and go over the windshield with a fresh razor blade. Spray and wipe clean again. Use Griot's Garage windshield cleaning clay with your favorite brand of Quik Detailer as lubrication. Wipe and clean any remaining residue with Invisible Glass. Then use Griot's windshield polish over all windows. Do not let it dry, or you will have a lot of dust that's a pain to clean up. Spray with a bit of water and wipe clean. Then apply Rain-X or the like and buff out. You will have glass as shiny and smooth as your paint after it's been detailed. I do this once a month and it looks amazing. I get as many compliments on the glass as I do on my paint, which I am also ridiculously into detailing.
Gobsmacked, yet impressed.
      12-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Can you say OCD???
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

Quote:
Can you use regular clay instead?

Is there a downside to rain-x? I never used it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
drdave
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I think regular clay would probably work just fine. I like rain-x, personally. Because the rain beads and quickly blows off of the windshield, I rarely use windshield wipers at all, so the blades last longer.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Kyuze
High Warlord
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
I think regular clay would probably work just fine. I like rain-x, personally. Because the rain beads and quickly blows off of the windshield, I rarely use windshield wipers at all, so the blades last longer.
+1 Rain X is amazing. Driving a car without now is such a hassile in the rain. I've been spoiled
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

A bit overkill, but I found this to be very helpful. Also, Larry is the man for all detailing questions/tutorials.