F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How many others have BLACK dripping stain coming from your Doors?
GetBMWParts

12-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

Question How many others have BLACK dripping stain coming from your Doors?

For the past four months, I have noticed black residue coming down the door panels at the bottom of the doors onto the bottom of the door saddles. It happens after rain and stays. It is on both sides of the car (driver, front passenger) just in front of the door jam between the front and rear doors. Also it happens by the rear doors on both sides towards the rear part of the back seats on those door jams.

Initially I thought it was dirt that had somehow gotten into the open area of the doors, but I continually cleaned it and wiped it down. Since the car (2014 MSport 328) was a Mother's day 2014 delivery, I did not expect to have this continue as regular occurance.

Then I noticed that it was originating IN THE DOORS ITSELF and trickling down from an opening near the bottom of each door --right in the corner where the door metal on the bottom went from horizontal to vertical.

If I left it for a couple of days, it became more and more difficult to remove. So I brought into my dealer. Initially I was told that there was a "service recall on this" and he would take care of it.

Just before Thanksgiving, I dutifully brought it and had the work done as well as a full detailing to overcome any residual staining discoloration as well as put on a winter coat of fresh protection for the often cruel weather of the North east. Ironically, the loaner car (white) had the same issue of black staining on the lower door panels.

When I picked up the car, it was in a storm and I did not fully inspect it before I drove it off of the lot. Low and behold, both jobs (fixing the door jam black leaks as well as the total detailing) appear to have been either botched, or NOT done properly.

Spoke to the service rep and shared my displeasure. Assurances were made, as were apologies and the entire job was to be redone at n/c.

This time the detailing was done right. And the doors appeared to be "stainless". HOWEVER, the rep told me that the staining was natural and expected!!!!! He was in error, there was no recall on this matter and infact the doors are supposed to leak out via the drain hole at the bottom of the doors to avoid rusting inside.

What am I missing here?????
Our $60K cars --the ultimate driving machines-- are supposed to have this issue??
Somehow, I do not see this as within the realm of proper.

How many others out there are experiencing the same thing or something similar?

Does anyone have an explanation or suggestion --other than constantly cleaning the panels of this black discoloration?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

My 435 came that way. I noticed it is was on there after the first wash. After I waxed it twice it was gone.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
It happens when I wash the car also. What I do is I immediately clean it. I've learned to live with it. Mine is Opti coated, so wiping it clean is not a big chore.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

It stops coming out after awhile.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Rainwater gets in at the window/door seal, and is inside the panel. Where exactly do you expect it to go from there, or do you expect it to magically disappear ?

Every car on the planet has door drain holes, from the cheapest Ford to the most expensive Aston Martin. A BMW being the 'ultimate driving machine' has nothing to do with it
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Rainwater gets in at the window/door seal, and is inside the panel. Where exactly do you expect it to go from there, or do you expect it to magically disappear ?

Every car on the planet has door drain holes, from the cheapest Ford to the most expensive Aston Martin. A BMW being the 'ultimate driving machine' has nothing to do with it
I fully understand the concept of the drain hole and support that. It is that it is continuing to happen & doesn't seem to ebb at all. BTW - never noticed this on my previous BMWs nor on other cars that I have owned and properly maintained. Not even my wife's Mini, which is also made and produced by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
TMD29
Don't care
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 SO M3 ZCP

Are you talking about the cosmoline dripping from the weep holes? It's perfectly normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD29 View Post
Are you talking about the cosmoline dripping from the weep holes? It's perfectly normal.
Thanks for the reply.
Not sure if it is the cosmoline (BTW -is that the chemical residue around the weather stripping inside? Or is that from a chemical spray used during transport?).

Either way, how long should this "perfectly normal" situation continue. Are there others out there who are not happy with this occurring on their cars, or am I alone?
Please understand that from my perspective, if it will be getting less and less (and then disappearing completely) in the very near future, that is something to look forward to & deal with.

If on the other hand, since the vehicle now is completing its 8th month of being on the road (and unfortunately, it is not garaged at night) it will be a continued, overt visual imperfection on a georgeous Melbourne Red BMW, any thoughts on how much longer (8 months & 10+k on the odometer) this is expected to continue?

And if it is not a transient situation...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

It's the cosmoline. If you want to speed up the process of it going away, open the doors and clean out the crud in and around each of the drain holes (right where you see the drip lines). You will see that it's collecting there. Every time it rains, the water flows right past the stuff.

I cleaned mine out and the lines no longer appear.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Fronzdan,
Kinda hoped that having the dealer address it twice, might have helped clear it up.

Looks like I will have to take your advice and do it every time it rains, until it (hopefully) returns NO MORE~
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Just keep wiping it up the best you can, both inside and out, everywhere you see it.

It's all over our car too.
Appreciate 0