Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Youngbp04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M3

Squealing/squeaking/rubbing noise at 800 miles on odemeter

I have about 800 miles on the odometer of my f80. Last weekend I went for a drive and right when I got to the end of my driveway to start the drive a fairly loud squealing/squeaking noise started. It sounded like it was coming from the backend and was something that rotated because the frequency got faster as my speed increased. I thought it was brake pads not seated correctly so I drove as normal and did a few hard stops. For the most part loud squealing stopped after the drive. I drove home, about 120 miles, and the car was much quieter but it still seems to sporadically make the squealing/ rubbing noise while driving, NOT under breaking, and it happens at lower speeds. This evening driving slowly in my office parking garage I noticed a rubbing noise. Again it was at slow speeds, not braking, and it sounded like rotational rubbing, but unsure if it was in the front- or back- end.

Has anyone encountered this, especially at this extremely low mileage? Is my suspicion correct about it being the brake pads? I plan on brining it to the dealer this week but I want to be as informed as possible when talking to the service tech. Hoping it isn't something to do with the drive shaft, diff, or something serious.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

It is a possibility that small pebble(s) might have lodged itself between the dust shield and the rotor of the brakes, which is being reported relatively frequently.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
bigant66
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f82 m4

Garage List
2015 f82 m4  [0.00]
I had the same issue . I simply grabbed the rear dust shield behind the rotor and moved it around and it fixed the issue! Squealing was so severe it was embarrassing to drive
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Youngbp04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigant66 View Post
I had the same issue . I simply grabbed the rear dust shield behind the rotor and moved it around and it fixed the issue! Squealing was so severe it was embarrassing to drive
It happened again this morning. I did what you suggested, and it seemed like the side closest to the front of the rear dust shield (if that makes sense) was touching, or really close to touching, the rotor. I tried to bend it back a little. I got back in the car and the squealing noise was still there, and just as loud. I sped up to about 35mph and did a pretty hard stop, hard enough to enable the abs. I heard a clunking noise that sounded like someone threw a can that rattled through the back of the car. The squeaking noise stopped after that.

Based on the noise it made, I think it must have been a rock that was pretty well lodged in there. This has happened to me three times now in the last four days. Hoping this isn't a continual issue. There has got to be a way to fix it or at least limit the number of times it happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I fucking hate this about this car....thought i popped a tire today. people stared at my broke down 2016 80k beemer with 3k miles sigh
Appreciate 0