E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 320d steptronic vs. manual

01-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
320d steptronic vs. manual

My steptronic 320d is at the service centre now getting somethings done. A rattle fixed, CIP 20, and there was a service bulletin for something in the engine. The service advisor didn't know what it was called in english (and I forgot what it was in German) but he said it's to stop something leaking (but a very minor problem).

To get to the point, they gave me an E90 320d manual as a loaner. After the novelty wore off, I'm still glad I chose the steptronic for a couple of reasons.

1: In city traffic I found I was constantly shifting between 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes 4th if I was lucky. The steptronic is much more relaxing for obvious reasons. Although maybe I'm just getting lazy.

2: Fuel consumption. I found that the fuel consumption was much higher (10.2L/100km for the manual vs 8.9L/100km). I think this is due to the fact that the manual gives me a heavier foot. The BMW 6-speed encourages revving.

3: In my case, I found the steptronic to be a little faster off the mark than the manual because you can just plant your foot and go. Although someone who has been driving the 6-speed for a while would of course be faster because they know their gearing.

What I like about the manual: Absolutely everything! If my driving wasn't 90% city I would have gotten it in a heartbeat! Gear changes are smooth, there's no gate vagueness, clutch engagement is effortless, and rev matching is extremely easy (I was able to do it about 80% of the time)

What I like about the steptronic: Absolutely everything! Effortless city driving, shifts smoothly, gives me lower consumption (because I'm a little lighter on the pedal), and I can still change gears when I want.

Note: I am in no way criticising either transmission. I'm simply making a comparison from my own experiences. Both transmissions are fantastic and the choice depends on whatever you like more.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: from Deutchland

Thanks for sharing.

Can't wait to get my hands on these when I visit Europe this March!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
1: In city traffic I found I was constantly shifting between 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes 4th if I was lucky.
i'm happy to get to 3rd in the city, 4th, forget it!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
My steptronic 320d is at the service centre now getting somethings done. A rattle fixed, CIP 20, and there was a service bulletin for something in the engine. The service advisor didn't know what it was called in english (and I forgot what it was in German) but he said it's to stop something leaking (but a very minor problem).
I think the service bulletin is the retrofitting of the corrugated fuel line:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1's earlier post
They also carried out a "campaign" which was retrofitting corrugated tubing on the breather line - the layman explanation was that it's the tube connected to where you fill your tank up - apparently there have been some reports of them wearing down and there being some fuel leaks so they changed it. This was done at a cost of R11.50 for the part (P 16 12 4 390 434) and labour of R107.40

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...bration+damper
Please let us know if this is correct? (Ie Part no. from your invoice (or a scan) etc)

The trick about getting the manual off the line, is to rev it into boost before letting go of the clutch (about 1700rpm)...with that...it flies off the line! I think the auto box is alot nicer for "city" driving, but when I test drove the auto - it kept pushing back into gear -when I would prefer to stay in 6th at low revs to overtake- instead of having the car downshift.

They are both excellent transmissions suited for the E90 320d...You are so lucky you got to experience both in a daily commute.

Also...I am the opposite of you. The second I see an auto box - my foot gains a couple of pounds... and my fuel cons flies through the roof. I borrowed an E46 325i a while ago (auto) and I pushed the cons from 11.1 to 13.9 in the 1 day I was driving it...and I was going easier on it then I do my car (because it was borrowed)

hehe! Thanks for the write up :-) Always nice to hear about diesels....
Appreciate 0