E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Does anyone know...

01-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Does anyone know...

...what would happen if I put my JB4 onto my 335i that is already running an Evolve map????

Until I get the evolve map removed I was wondering the consequences (or more what would the JB4 mapping do) when the initial values are not the standard ones but the evolve mapped settings?

Thanks,

Raj.
      01-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't know.
Part of my thinks because the jb4 reads and assess and then tunes accordingly especially in map 5 that it will be fine. The other part thinks that as its not starting from standard it won't be good.
I'd just wait if I were you just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
I don't know.
Part of my thinks because the jb4 reads and assess and then tunes accordingly especially in map 5 that it will be fine. The other part thinks that as its not starting from standard it won't be good.
I'd just wait if I were you just to be safe.
See I'm kind of on the same wavelength as you in terms of in map 5 it should just assess and adapt to where it will always try to get itself too.

I've spoken to Evolve about removing the map but they turned round and said they probably don't have the original file (thought they all keep them tbh) and want £100 to remap it back to stock.

So I'm trying to find another alternative to get it back to stock so I can add my JB4.
      01-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

I had a similar scenario.
335i with encrypted map. Guy has JB4, so jb4 on the top of map.
He stated that he used to get engine light on heavy acceleration (if I remember correctly).
Since map was encrypted, nobody was able to remove it and he did not know who remapped the car (was done by previous owner).

He brought his car to me. Tried to flash it in standard way but bmw equipment could not read the engine module. Bit of fiddling and flashed it to standard map.
All good and he was happy. His next goal was to do back end flash and when he tried to do that, engine was still encrypted.

So with bmw equipment we managed to put the car back to stock but encryption stayed there!
      01-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
See I'm kind of on the same wavelength as you in terms of in map 5 it should just assess and adapt to where it will always try to get itself too.

I've spoken to Evolve about removing the map but they turned round and said they probably don't have the original file (thought they all keep them tbh) and want £100 to remap it back to stock.

So I'm trying to find another alternative to get it back to stock so I can add my JB4.
You don't need the cars original file you'll need to remove the JB4 at that point and upload the latest BMW software(which will overwrite the map essentually removing it)then re hook up your JB4 then from there the Evolve map won't be part of the equation, we have had several cars in to us with issues (turning mapped cars back to OEM spec from diffferent places with different issues where there have been ECU issues that only a complete removal of the software from the mapper will potentually draw a line under a particular issue)and when carried out (providing the ECU hasn't been corrupted by the map-and we've seen a couple)then all will be well.

If they have say AutoLogic software will be available via the menu to 2013/14 spec which may well have a benifit as I've discovered on quite a few cars we've had in with issues. Charge wise they charge what we charge for a software update.

To answer your cars file pre re map we hold everything on a hard drive(tagged by reg and chassis)so if we have issues we can return to pre remap without drama and haven't had an issue since undertaking our free standing re map issue re switching between std and re map nad visa versa if the car needds to be returned to OEM without trace.. But can't speak obviosuly for another companythough I will say on the F series it will be spotted even if you think you are smart enough to remove it (again all too complicated to explain here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I had a similar scenario.
335i with encrypted map. Guy has JB4, so jb4 on the top of map.
He stated that he used to get engine light on heavy acceleration (if I remember correctly).
Since map was encrypted, nobody was able to remove it and he did not know who remapped the car (was done by previous owner).

He brought his car to me. Tried to flash it in standard way but bmw equipment could not read the engine module. Bit of fiddling and flashed it to standard map.
All good and he was happy. His next goal was to do back end flash and when he tried to do that, engine was still encrypted.

So with bmw equipment we managed to put the car back to stock but encryption stayed there!
Its the encription that stays with the ECU(almost ghosting in the back ground that can be an issue)we've had several cars where you've done everything yet as you say Sam things stay in the "subconcious"side of the ECU, which are visible, which may have an effect going forward for some.

Its a complicated subject TBH.
      01-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Cheers for the replies.

Steve will have a chat when I see you if that's cool.
      01-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers for the replies.

Steve will have a chat when I see you if that's cool.
      01-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Nice one. Hopefully can get this sorted.
      01-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nice one. Hopefully can get this sorted.
Put it this way you explain it I'll answer it and if I don't know ill ask, we can do everything in house re map wise including cloning ECU's(if your ECU is corrupted by having an ECU from another vehicle that spec wise is 100% compatable from a donor vehicle)we can do a "Dolly the Sheep"to the donor ECU without any drama's.
      01-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Let me get this straight your car is remapped and you want to put the jb4 on it?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_335d View Post
Let me get this straight your car is remapped and you want to put the jb4 on it?

Cheers
Basically yes.

Ideal solution is to remove remap (so back to stock) then put JB4 on.

But in meantime wondering if can just put JB4 on even though remap is still there.
      01-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Basically yes.

Ideal solution is to remove remap (so back to stock) then put JB4 on.

But in meantime wondering if can just put JB4 on even though remap is still there.
I'm sure(ish)that we had someone in last year with a definite conflict with an installed JB4 who later discovered the car once de installed the car had been remapped without his knowledge.

I've seen a good few 335i owners with the JB4 installed, (which always has to be deactivated before we work on their cars) through our doors to know that it offers great VFM & options which you can't ignore compared with a straight out of the bid re map they offer so much and in my expierience seem to perform if performance is the right word more strongly, in execution though not so sure. Hence for me I'm sticking with the re map on my car(though our tuning partners have both had JB4's in and examined how they go about setting out their stall in terms of the file dataand that I'm awaiting their info with interest)
      01-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Your already advancing timing, leaning out afr and upping boost a jb4 will effectively piggyback and add on to the above not a good idea esp likely you could cause knock etc, I wouldn't do it no chance.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #14
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_335d View Post
Your already advancing timing, leaning out afr and upping boost a jb4 will effectively piggyback and add on to the above not a good idea esp likely you could cause knock etc, I wouldn't do it no chance.
Spot on hence the conflict, I didn't actually get to see the end result of the guy who came to us, but he was surprised, JB4 wise v re map for those who are interested the JB4's seem to me to feel more 'savage' can't knock the VFM, and the things you can do with this great bit of kit, but the execution for me isn't the greatest.
      01-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Tbh boys this is why I've held off fitting it as my first thoughts are its not the right way to go due to the possible conflicts or over stressed mailings with piggy backing. I was just wondering if anyone had come across this tbh.
      01-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #16
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

SUB"D . Can you do the remapping remotely via internet connection?
      01-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #17
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

It won't cause a problem as all the failsafes are still in place. (Any knock will result in a map 4 switch, regardless)
Just email Terry and he will confirm this.

WM
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #18
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

+1 autologic
Appreciate 0