BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Christopher Ward Trident

01-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Christopher Ward Trident

So Christopher Ward have introduced a new line, the Trident. I think they look nice and I know they are well made and sanely priced. I think for folks who like Rolex Subs and/or Omega Seamasters, but who don't want to spend that kind of money, the Tridents are good alternatives. They have styling cues that clearly come from both those pricier makes of watch.

There are several styles and movements offered, including quartz and COSC certified mechanical.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

What about the Steinhart Ocean 1?

01-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

nice.. it looks like CW re-did the trident gmt as well.. no more fake orange patina.. and comes in a smaller 38mm.. nice..
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
What about the Steinhart Ocean 1?

What about it? Is it a newly introduced watch? If so, create a thread to tell us about it. I think it's all but lost buried here in a CW watch thread. Steinhart make nice watches, a few of which are great, low priced Submariner alternatives, so being buried here in a CW thread is of little use to others.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
E90-F30
Allen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AUDI S4 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Thanks for this thread Tony!
I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to a Submariner without having to resort to an Aquaracer.
      02-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Wow both of the Chris Ward and Steinhart watches look great!! The Steinhart looks exactly like a Submariner. The CW looks similar but different.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 built july 1...........

Have the steinhart ocean one milsub homage on a nato strap on as i write this... good watches for the money. Might get their gmt...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 built july 1...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-F30 View Post
I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to a Submariner without having to resort to an Aquaracer.
for the money you will spend on an aquaracer you might as well spend a touch more and get a breitling super ocean...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-F30 View Post
You're welcome.

There are scores of less expensive alternatives to a Sub, although an Aquaracer is also a nice choice. I have a Series 2000, which is the precursor to the Aquaracer. It's one of the most easy to own and easy to wear watches I have. Of course, the most obvious way to get a Sub-like watch is to simply buy a vintage one from a reputable seller. You can find perfectly good ones for ~$5K, perhaps less. The prices seem to go up and down with some regularity and vary too by seller. (as always, you can haggle the price)
Those are just a few sellers. Google "Rolex Submariner pre-owned used price" and you'll find many.

Note/observation: I think that Rolex must have just implemented their 2015 price increase. Seems prices have gone up since I last saw them this year (a few months back).

Some other alternatives:
  • IWC Aquatimer (internal or external bezel)

The internal bezel one has got what I think is the nicest means for rotating the bezel of all internal dive bezel watches.
  • Omega Seamaster (plenty of pics on the WWW)\
  • Bremont Supermarine

• Cartier Diver

Lastly, when it comes to Submariner alternatives, the most obvious choice is Rolex's own offerings in that vein: Tudor. Say what you will about the aping of the Sub design, but Rolex owns both companies, so they certainly have the right to copy the design to the Tudor line to whatever extent they want. Decide how close to the Sub one wants the look to be.

• Vintage Tudor Sub -- The only thing about this watch that isn't literally a Sub is the movement inside. It's a very solid ETA in there instead of Rolex's own movement. Everything else about the watch is Rolex; the crown even has the Rolex crown logo on it. Mount it on an Oyster bracelet and you've effectively got a Submariner. You can go "snowflake" or "lollipop." (http://www.fratellowatches.com/vinta...4010-lollipop/) These are in great demand by collectors, so I can't promise you that you'll find one priced below a new Sub.

• Tudor Black Bay

The older watch is the Tudor Sub, the newer one the Black Bay red bezel variation.

Here's a BB vs. Sub comparo pic

• Tudor Pelagos -- I rather like the Pelagos over the modern BB, but that's just personal preference mainly. Outside of styling, there are a few minor differences, but not that are relevant for desk diver duty to a buyer lacking specific reasons of their own to care.

Some alternatives that move a bit away from the purely sport character of the Sub are watches that I describe as "sport flexible." That is watches that are styled leaning casual/sport, but are still dressy enough to work for all but the very dressiest of outfits. Perhaps the key trait of these watches is that they don't have external dive bezels that makes all such equipped watches sport watches.
  • IWC Ingy

• Cartier Calibre de Cartier (pictured above next to the CdC Diver...all the pics one could want of a CdC are here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/138086...to-comparison/ . There's a great discussion of the watch as well.)
  • Hublot Classic Fusion - The titanium variant of this watch makes it super comfortable. This is a watch about which I vacillate over whether I think it's sport-flexible or dress-flexible. Either way, it's flexible, and clearly not a strict dress watch, so I mentioned it. There are several variants and it's a really great looking and comfortable watch to wear. I think the Classic Fusion, like the Big Bang, has the quick switch bracelet feature.

Here's a CF Zircon vs. Sub comparo pic

The CF is clearly a thinner and more refined looking/built watch than is a sub. That's not a qualitative judgment -- something having to do with "better" or "worse" -- on my part; it's just an observation. Some folks want a bit more panache and some don't.

So, if you haven't already decided, hie thee to a watch store and try some of them on. I think you'll be pleased with any of them. Unless you have some specific thing you expect in the way of functionality, I suggest just choosing based on what looks best to your eye and your wallet.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
GreatWhite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Just got my COSC 600.

"Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish"
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

looks nice.. how's the lume?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
GreatWhite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
looks nice.. how's the lume?

"Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish"
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Great alternative to fake watches
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMick View Post
Great alternative to fake watches
Perhaps....plenty of perfectly functional fakes only cost ~$50 or less. I think for folks who buy mechanical fakes because they are inexpensive, there probably aren't too many alternatives from any legitimate maker. A used Seiko 5 at ~$50, or new for ~80, is about as close as one's likely to get -- at least to the best of my knowledge -- to that price point and still have a decent mechanical watch.

All the best.

Appreciate 0