E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Found a random clip after dealer serviced car, any ideas?

01-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i AT

Exclamation Found a random clip after dealer serviced car, any ideas?

So I took my car in for some crazy sound it has been making under the hood. I can reproduce the sound when I rev to maybe 3k and it sounds like a bearing on the belt pulleys or something about to let go. They say they can't reproduce it, I demonstrate the noise and they take it in to fix it.

Well, the do the vanos recall and manage to break some things while they are in there, and give me the car back and tell me to drive it and bring it back when the parts arrive. I leave, car is driving horribly and the hood flies up. I pull over on the interstate, close it, and notice all of my covers, cowl, etc is missing and a tool under the hood is what prevented it closing fully.

I return back the next morning incredibly irritated, they take the car back in, put most of my stuff back on properly, minus this one clip that was lying in my passenger seat. Any ideas? Also the car still makes the horrible sound and they are now saying to ignore that sound as it isn't causing a drive-ability issue, though it is embarrassing to me to pull to a red light and it make the same sound.

01-21-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
jeffro535
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2019 X3M40

I'd have a long conversation with the service manager. They put your life at risk with the hood thing. If they forgot to put the covers back on and left tools in the engine bay, what else did they forget? I'd take the clip in with you and ask him if he can tell you where it came from.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Looks like a battery tray for something.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
mytrplseven
Mytrplseven
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 328i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Geezuz!! I think these are the same guys that left a rag, flashlight and a couple of tools in the wheel well of my 737. I found them on pre-flight and called the maintenance manager out to see what one of their mechanics had done. There was a lot of yelling in the shop, but better that than an airplane with an emergency landing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Is this hixson autoplex?
      01-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro535 View Post
I'd have a long conversation with the service manager. They put your life at risk with the hood thing. If they forgot to put the covers back on and left tools in the engine bay, what else did they forget? I'd take the clip in with you and ask him if he can tell you where it came from.
They didn't give a crap, they seemed more irritated I was still complaining the car was not fixed and they only made matters worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Is this hixson autoplex?
Indeed it was. I will give ORR over in Shreveport a shot as soon as I get a chance to get over there. I sent a nice worded email to BMW USA and they contacted me to let me know a "formal complaint" was made against them.
      01-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Just the other day i was reading this...op read this

http://www.georgebelton.com/HixsonBMWofMonroe.php

Very well written George!
      01-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep

I'm halfway through it, and I feel his pain. I had the same exact tech work on mine and he is the one that left the O2 sensor wiring laid on my downpipe not in their clips on the valve cover, but pulled back in the engine bay. I'll be pulling it completely apart tomorrow to fix that. I also noticed the broke a tab on my cabin filter assembly and lost a screw. Yay.
      01-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Man fuck that!!! Id be on the phone with BMW NA bitching so hard.. Your life was at risk...
      01-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep

This was my actual letter to BMW USA from the first visit.

Hi,

I would like to express my concern (and document) my current situation.

For the first time I took my 2011 335i in for a noise issue it was having under the hood. On the 29th of December 2014 is when the car was dropped off, I was told it was a turbo/wastegate issue and the entire unit would need to be replaced. I called back a couple of days later and was told parts were ordered but had not arrived. Rachel put me down for a loaner to use on the 8th (today) if my car was not finished. During this time I did not have a loaner car or a rental and was having to use co-workers and my wife for rides to work and other places I needed to go.

I left the dealership today after being told they did not replace anything but instead flashed the car and attempted a vanos fix but was not able to complete it, and as soon as I got onto the interstate the hood flew up. I pulled to the shoulder in 5 o'clock traffic to shut it. When I looked under the hood I noticed many parts were missing including, but not limited to, the engine cover, the cowl, wires and plugs laying on the engine and not on their holders or clips and the cabin filter assembly.

I called when I reached home to inquire about it and they said to bring it back in the morning which I will do. I have documented everything with photographs. They are telling me CPO does not cover a rental and that a loaner is provided as a courtesy but cannot be expected unless it is reserved, which I had done so previously with a lady named Rachel for today's date, but apparently that was a lie as I was told all 4 of 4 were out. As of the coming Monday (1/12/2015) I will no longer be able to have my wife give me a ride to work as she will be back in school. I can not have anymore empty promises of a loaner or a rental as I can no longer make arrangements.

The car has two error codes for vanos inlet/outlet, and one for boost pressure control. They tell me this is because the cabin filter assembly was accidentally left off, but I'm not an idiot, and know that these codes were not present when I dropped it off and now they are. They say the parts have been ordered for the vanos issue and to bring it back next week but continue to drive it until then.

The car also is displaying a "Not charging when stopped message", I understand this may have been caused by the techs working on the car and it may have drained the battery, however as the car was working perfectly fine when I dropped it off, and now I am having numerous issues, including missing parts, am I liable for this? As they tell me CPO will not cover that.

This is my first BMW, which I have absolutely loved until this point, and fear my car will never be in its original condition. I did fly to Ontario California to purchase it, and I highly wish I could get it back to their service center or another in the area to have all of this remedied. My concern is rather than any of these promises being met and problems solved is that I am going to get my car back in a crippled state, as I did today, along with not having a means of transportation.
      01-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
X_Drive
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E46, E91, F21

Garage List
It's a retaining lock for one of the engine hoses. Do you have an N55? if you do it's perhaps from the accordion pipe that goes from the valve cover to the charge pipe. If your car is running like a bag of ass, that pipe may be broken. However that is what the clip is for. BTW, whoever worked on your car should be slinging meat, because he or she is a butcher.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep

Yep, I have an N55. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I am absolutely pissed right now.
      01-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Dude wtf I would be pissed too. Get this sorted out. Unacceptable !!

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep

No way to sort it out. I'd have better luck talking to a pile of rocks. Hopefully I'll find where the clip belongs tomorrow while placing all my wires back in the holders and looms. I'm afraid of what else I'll end up finding.

Last edited by ryanakata; 01-22-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
55Nomad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Just the other day i was reading this...op read this

http://www.georgebelton.com/HixsonBMWofMonroe.php

Very well written George!
+1 Wow.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Drive View Post
It's a retaining lock for one of the engine hoses. Do you have an N55? if you do it's perhaps from the accordion pipe that goes from the valve cover to the charge pipe. If your car is running like a bag of ass, that pipe may be broken. However that is what the clip is for. BTW, whoever worked on your car should be slinging meat, because he or she is a butcher.
Pulled it apart today and can't find where that clip was supposed to go. But did see they removed my weather stripping from the cowl and just had it laying underneath it. The reason my o2 sensor wires were laid back there was also because I now no longer have that bracket. And it appears my intake may have melted/deformed? I do not remember seeing this spot any other time I pulled it apart...

Missing O2 sensor harness bracket...

Deformed intake boot???