E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > @@ 5E46 Fault code Please help - Cant Initialise DSC

01-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Dwtk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 118d sport

Exclamation @@ 5E46 Fault code Please help - Cant Initialise DSC

Ok let me tell you a story. I was on the M25 in my E93 2008 ( Automatic ) and my tyre flat warning light came up and DSC failure lights. I drove to the local petrol station. Found a crack in my MV4 ( second time replaced ) tyre was losing pressure. As I had changed to non run flats I pumped up tyre and hobbled home. I got the crack repaired and checked all tyre pressures were in bounds. Then tried to reset the Run flat warning light as below doing the usual method. But this time I am no longer able to re-internalize the DSC. It wont give me the tick. Instead I just get blank box below.

So I thought I must have a faulty ABS speed sensor ( common issue from reading around ) so I bought one of EBAY and fitted it to the Rear drivers side and tried to reset again . But nothing. Tried disconnecting battery too and driving car 30 meters.

So I bought a DCAN cable and INPA of ebay and decided to read the fault codes . Having read around the internet and google. I found the code 5E46 E0 - Steering angle sensor fault. I tested the sensor via INPA following youtube videos and tutorials and Steering Angle F-Can moves when I move the wheel but the F_CAN_AFS and DSC_ECU do not move. See before and afterpics below.

I checked the speed sensors and they all seem to be responding . see below ( Had to drive and take screenshots Not safe but it was only in driveway )

I have also checked Battery voltage via the app too . See below.

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rU9c5hFMY4M/VMQwUULXl7I/AAAAAAAABhs/LOez8OFgwfc/s912/Battery%2520voltage.JPG/IMG]

I have tried to recalibrate sensor in INPA but Screen just brings up below and doesn’t do anything. See below.

Now every time I start the car I get the following symbols appear . I also have yellow handbreak symbol always on and exclamation mark in triangle with circle around it . I know this is DSC related and probably because I cant reset the DSC.

Can anyone help. Please . I have tried everything I know. I was going to check each Speed sensor on the car next. Is 5E46 Fault code a red herring because I really dont want to take the steering wheel apart.

Thanks in advance .

Last edited by Dwtk; 01-24-2015 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Pics too small
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

you are out of gas by the way
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Dwtk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
you are out of gas by the way
Thanks . I knew someone was gonna say that . ( That was the hidden easter egg in my post )
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
Dwtk
Enlisted Member
Rep

I dont think its the steering wheel angel sensor as it is registering changes in degrees in INPA. See above pic .
Appreciate 0