E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlamp Failure. Causes?

01-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Eurocraze
Custom User Title
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Headlamp Failure. Causes?

So just recently, i was out and about and came out from the store i was in, turned my headlights on, and i got a left side low beam malfunction light, right one was fine. Got home, turned them on and off, then the right side wouldnt light up either, and i got a failure for that side as well. Hit the high beams, nothing there either. However, my running lights (halos and side markers) and fog lights work fine.

Fuses are good.

What in the hell caused this to occur? Or potnetial causes...

Appreciate any help here gents.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Eurocraze
Custom User Title
Rep

nobody got nothing huh.....well then..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
stretch311
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

the same thing is happening to me. I bought my 2006 e90 like 3 weeks ago and the guy that had it before me upgraded the headlights to HID bulbs, and sometime one side will turn off, then the other side, then both sides. I can still turn on my high beams, he didn't switch those out they are the stock halogen bulbs, so i'm guessing its because of the kit, what i dont know is if its a malfunctioning kit, or the computer not being programmed for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
E93M3-08
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurocraze View Post
nobody got nothing huh.....well then..
... well, maybe if you offered a bit more info regarding the type of headlight you have, halogen /xenon / aftermarket and possibly any codes you might get from a scan, people who know would have somewhere to start.
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Eurocraze
Custom User Title
Rep

^you are right.
my fault, i forgot not everyonw has xenons.
i have stock xenons. The only "codes" i got have been from the computer telling me that they dont work or "malfunctioning as i put in the OP. i havent gotten it scanned for soft codes...yet. I was just curious if there was a trend with something like this, or if somebody had this happened and what it took to fix it.

As far as you stretch311, with an aftermarket kit, its probably the kit itself going, and more or less your ballast. I would just buy a new kit, they are cheap enough to anyway...
Appreciate 0